New Gears installed and... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
New Gears installed and...

I was just wondering if any of this is normal...

I have diff fluid all over my drivers side front, on the frame, lower control arm, etc. I may have overfilled the diff after throwing on my new covers, and I checked them all over for leaks. The silicone is sealed up nice. The bottom of the diff has some fluid on it, and I also noticed that fluid could possibly be escaping from where the driveshaft connects. Is this normal? Would overfilling it make it spew out like this? I can't tell if it's correct or if O made some sort of mistake and there is an actual leak on the back of the pumpkin where the DS attaches. Any opinions?

And, my cruise control isn't working. Broke the ABS sensor on the front drivers side doing the install and I have to get it fixed. Maybe this is a dumb question, maybe not, I have no idea what all the computers do in the JK...could the missing ABS sensor prevent the cruise control from working? Any other ideas what could have happened for the cruise control to no longer work?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You prob did overfill the diffs sounds about right for where it would overflow. Keep an eye on it and make sure it stops. Wipe the axle parts off if you can. Dont worry about the stuff on the left/driver side.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I believe the wheel speed sensors are used for the cruise control. Not 100% sure though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did you replace the driveshafts at the same time?
post #5 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Granite Guru

A good way to tell where and how fast the oil is leaking is to spray it all off with brake cleaner and then watch for it to come back.

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
post #6 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I was just wondering if any of this is normal...

I have diff fluid all over my drivers side front, on the frame, lower control arm, etc. I may have overfilled the diff after throwing on my new covers, and I checked them all over for leaks. The silicone is sealed up nice. The bottom of the diff has some fluid on it, and I also noticed that fluid could possibly be escaping from where the driveshaft connects. Is this normal? Would overfilling it make it spew out like this? I can't tell if it's correct or if O made some sort of mistake and there is an actual leak on the back of the pumpkin where the DS attaches. Any opinions?

And, my cruise control isn't working. Broke the ABS sensor on the front drivers side doing the install and I have to get it fixed. Maybe this is a dumb question, maybe not, I have no idea what all the computers do in the JK...could the missing ABS sensor prevent the cruise control from working? Any other ideas what could have happened for the cruise control to no longer work?
Diff fluid on the frame means its puking it outa the breather. If you have g2 covers drive tiill they warm up then tighten the drain plug, and it sounds like your pinion seal is leaking (where driveshaft connects to yoke). Our local auto parts store had a listing for the pinion seal but they all had the wrong one, had to get it from the dealer for 30 bucks.

Good luck
post #7 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

is the fill plug on the G2 covers at OEM location or is wayyy up like the SOLID covers??

no jeep here...
post #8 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nope, still have the stock driveshafts. And I think it may have been the breather tubes. I have the Solid covers so I bet I overfilled it, I used about 2 and 1/2 to 2 and 3/4 quarts to fill it.

I wiped everything down so I will check after driving it today whether there is anymore leakage. The RTV sealed up fine, so I think the only place it could possibly be leaking is where the DS goes into the pumpkin...but everything looks tight. Hopefully it was just the breather, but if its the pinion seal i can probably get it fixed up if needed. Is that a dealer part I'll need to order or can I get it pretty much anywhere?

post #9 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

pinion seal = pain in the ass.. new crush sleeve, pinion nut, pulling driveshaft, removing carrier etc.

HOPEFULLY your just overfilled, and the wind was blowing it all over the place...

I hate how easy it is/hard to properly fill a diff when you have the fill plug so darn high on the cover..

What I usually do is make a dipstick with a piece of paper and fill it just above the top of the 2 bolts at the bottom of the axle tubes. (if that makes any sense..) Currently I am on the hunt for aftermarket covers with OEM fill height plugs.

no jeep here...
post #10 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

for my D44 axles...

Front ~ 1.5QT
Rear ~2.5QT

So thats an even 4QT basic for both...
post #11 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post
pinion seal = pain in the ass.. new crush sleeve, pinion nut, pulling driveshaft, removing carrier etc.

HOPEFULLY your just overfilled, and the wind was blowing it all over the place...

I hate how easy it is/hard to properly fill a diff when you have the fill plug so darn high on the cover..

What I usually do is make a dipstick with a piece of paper and fill it just above the top of the 2 bolts at the bottom of the axle tubes. (if that makes any sense..) Currently I am on the hunt for aftermarket covers with OEM fill height plugs.

you don't need a new crush sleeve for a new pinion seal. pull the yoke, pull the seal, reinstall, and tighten down the pinion nut real tight (although i do agree that it's not a bad idea to replace the pinion nut).

just don't go overboard and crush the crush sleeve more. I usually impact it till it pretty much stops, not so much that i'm sitting there hammering on it, but you zip it down till it stops, although last time i said that people lost their minds.

you can use a wrench too and go by feel. bottom line though is even if you took it to a dealer they're not going to put a new crush sleeve in.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
for my D44 axles...

Front ~ 1.5QT
Rear ~2.5QT

So thats an even 4QT basic for both...
for his front 30 i think it's 1.3, rear should be teh same

i buy 80/90 in a gallon jug and use a pump to pump it in.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 AM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
you don't need a new crush sleeve for a new pinion seal. pull the yoke, pull the seal, reinstall, and tighten down the pinion nut real tight (although i do agree that it's not a bad idea to replace the pinion nut).

just don't go overboard and crush the crush sleeve more. I usually impact it till it pretty much stops, not so much that i'm sitting there hammering on it, but you zip it down till it stops, although last time i said that people lost their minds.

you can use a wrench too and go by feel. bottom line though is even if you took it to a dealer they're not going to put a new crush sleeve in.
X2.

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #14 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm guessing its overfilled if I was only supposed to put in about 1.5 qts. Pretty sure it leaked out about a qt over the course of yesterday and today driving. And it only sprays out onto the drivers side. I'm going to a shop tomorrow to get it looked at.

post #15 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I'm guessing its overfilled if I was only supposed to put in about 1.5 qts. Pretty sure it leaked out about a qt over the course of yesterday and today driving. And it only sprays out onto the drivers side. I'm going to a shop tomorrow to get it looked at.
Even when filled to the correct level- the front will still tend to spew out the breather- more so at highway speeds. Many have this issue including mine. I believe that it has to do with the reverse cut gears in the front diff- but some disagree- whatever.

Best thing is to keep an eye on it- check your fluid level from time to time to make sure it is not too low. I would get the ABS sensor taken care of, but I would not personally spend the time/ money to have them look at the fluid discharge. It's definitely coming from the breather tube, and there is not a single thing that the dealership can do (or will do successfully) to remedy the issue.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #16 of 16 Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Overfill

Just did my gears and have the same issue.........overfill in the front 30. Worried at first but after checking it I found out it is spewing from the top of the breather tube. I have just about 200 miles to go before I reach my 500 breakin, so I'm just waiting until then to correct the problem when I change the oil.

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode