WARNING: consider this before buying Corbeau seats - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
WARNING: consider this before buying Corbeau seats

As my rig's capabilities and my willingness to push them grow, I have been making it a point to add safety items to my JK build in stages. I figured that it was finally time for good seats and 5-point harnesses. I went down to my local 4WP to test out the seats on display. I decided that I really liked the Baja RS reclining suspension seats do to the comfort and utility they offer (and the ability to get in and out of the seat easily). I found that the Corbeau and the Mastercraft models felt the same as far as comfort was concerned, but the Corbeau seats looked much nicer IMO (I thought the Mastercraft fabric looked kind of cheezy). The Corbeaus were also a couple hundred cheaper. Once again, I learn that you get what you pay for.

I installed the seats on Saturday with the factory seatbelts (my harness bar and Crow harnesses wont be ready till next week). On Sunday night I went on a run with my local club. It was the first day wheeling with my new seats.

While climbing over a boulder, my right rear tire slipped off and the back half of my jeep fell into a 4' deep rut. When the rear of the jeep slammed down, the reclining mechanisms on both front seats failed and Mr & Mrs Desert Dog found ourselves thrown back looking up at the stars. I was able to play with the driver's seat and get it to lock upright, but the passenger seat was toast. We had to put jackets and gear behind the seat to prop it up enough so Mrs Desert Dog could sit sort of upright on the ride home.

If we had been in a collision or roll-over with these seats, they would have killed us. I don't think you can chalk this up to being a "freak incident" when it happens to both seats. Upon doing research on these seats today on jeepforum and MJR, I found that this same thing has happened to other people using these exact same seats while wheeling hard. I should have done my homework before I bought, but maybe someone will read this and think twice. IMHO, the factory seats are way safer than these.

The manager at 4WP feels bad and is giving me a full refund and cutting me a discount on the Mastercrafts. The Corbeau seats look way better than the Mastercrafts, but i'd rather live in ugly seats than die in pretty ones.

Short vid of busted passenger seat;

YouTube - VID00797
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's a "feature" not a flaw....... The seats 'sensed' you were in a potential rollover situation and reclined your seats to save you....

Glad everyone is OK. Thanks for the heads up on seats.

Best of luck with the MCs.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
JKO Addict!

another reason to run fixed back seats... well that and i like em better lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Rock God

Wow that sucks. Thanks for the heads up on the seats, those were on the top of my list for a potentail seat upgrade.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #5 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

WOw glad you guys are ok that could have had a disastrous out come if you rolled.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Granite Guru

i have a few things to say regarding my Corbeau LG-1 seats after I fix them....yeah they look bad ass and the LG-1's are very comfortable but I'm having issues with both seats jiggling on the bracket where they slide back and forth. There's another but have to check it to see if its a big deal or not but the first issue i dont know how to fix it cause its on the slider part internally i think the brackets just arent a good fit for the seat. Its bolted securely to the floor but they both jiggle so im constantly jiggling around while i drive its just a little but its really really annoying. You could live with it but i hate it. i called them and talked to guy on phone and he said they never heard of that issue but someone else i know is having same issue with the LG-1's. i think people might ignore it cause they like the comfort and look of it. But if they also arent safe if accident happens that really is troubling. I bought them becasue i thought they were off road upgrade professional seats and also liked the style and comfort of them. geez....

Last edited by Lotus03; 09-08-2010 at 12:16 AM.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

You should check out Twisted Stitch. I haven't heard of any failures with their products. Plus, you can choose how they look since that is a concern for you. I run their fixed back Apex seats. They are super comfy and very secure. I also run 3" Crow harnesses. I have nothing by good things to report on those as well. I know that Twistd has replaced quite a few Corbeau seats in the past.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #8 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Check out PRP seats. I ran a pair of Competition seats in my TJ and I still swear they were some of the best seats I ever sat in while trail riding. I linked the pic so you can click on it.

/

post #9 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Rock God

i have the Corbeau seats... they are very comfortable... but mine do kinda jiggle around also.. just alittle bit .. but it is kinda annoying.. i like the way they look and the comfort ..but i dont like the jiggle and if the reclining part gives out that could be a problem
post #10 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
GKR
Granite Guru

I've had a set of the Mastercraft RS's for several years now. They have been mounted in three trucks (Early & Fullsize Bronco and now the Jeep) so far with many miles of trails /rockcrawling and dune running. These trucks are also my DD. Not to sound like a Mastercraft salesman, but these are the best seats out there in my opinion. I've ran Corbeau, FloFit and Recaros before these for comparisons sake. Comfortable, durable and allows me and my bad back miles of smiles.

Last edited by GKR; 09-08-2010 at 11:03 AM.
post #11 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

thats scary..

i actually prefer the master crafts cloth compared to the leather look

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #12 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

DD... you owe me lunch! I just ate and lost it all after watching your video... makes me dizzy. Now... a quick question. Did they pitch those seats as HARDCORE, BOMB PROOF, or BULLET PROOF? You my friend, need to stop taking those claims at face value!

I am thinking they are going to have to start making the HARDCORE DOG PROOF line to keep you happy.

Glad you and Windy came out okay.... sounds like you might have been in a tight spot when you lost control of your seats.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
DD... sounds like you might have been in a tight spot when you lost control of your seats.
Lets just say that more than 1 tire was off the ground .
But I got out at night with no strap while laying down
post #14 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Lets just say that more than 1 tire was off the ground .
But I got out at night with no strap while laying down
You should calm down and wheel like the rest of us.... it's not a buggy you know.

EDIT: if you had that cross bar behind the seats.... you'd not have had this issue!
post #15 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
if you had that cross bar behind the seats.... you'd not have had this issue!
Got the Harness bar from the powder coater today and just finished installing it! The brown truck dropped off my Crow harnesses today and I get my Mastercraft seats tomorrow.

Name:  IMG_0237 (Medium).JPG
Views: 20607
Size:  87.8 KB

Last edited by desert dog; 09-08-2010 at 09:54 PM.
post #16 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR View Post
I've had a set of the Mastercraft RS's for several years now. They have been mounted in three trucks (Early & Fullsize Bronco and now the Jeep) so far with many miles of trails /rockcrawling and dune running. These trucks are also my DD. Not to sound like a Mastercraft salesman, but these are the best seats out there in my opinion. I've ran Corbeau, FloFit and Recaros before these for comparisons sake. Comfortable, durable and allows me and my bad back miles of smiles.

Do these sit any lower than the stock seats? I'm 6'5" and hardly have any head room in my JK. It doesn't look like its possible to shorten the seat brackets, so I'm trying to find other options.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #17 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 09:06 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Got the Harness bar from the powder coater today and just finished installing it! The brown truck dropped off my Crow harnesses today and I get my Mastercraft seats tomorrow.
Very purty.... the only think I don't like about a full harness is that it makes hard to poke your head out when you want more visibility... well, if you keep it snugged up like you are suppose to. That and it sucks to put all that one when you are just running down the street to the local store for some Coors Light.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Very purty.... the only think I don't like about a full harness is that it makes hard to poke your head out when you want more visibility... well, if you keep it snugged up like you are suppose to. That and it sucks to put all that one when you are just running down the street to the local store for some Coors Light.
Thats why I did the seatbelt sensor bypass and am keeping the factory seat belts also. Factorys for around town and light wheeling - harness for the nastier stuff. I can keep the harness waste belt tucked under the seat and it only takes a few minutes to rig the shoulder straps.

No Coors, get the Natty' light. Ill post a pic tomorrow when I'm done.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Rock God

Hey desert dog, how do you do the seat belt by pass?

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #20 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
Hey desert dog, how do you do the seat belt by pass?
Per use of the search function;

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215
post #21 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Thats why I did the seatbelt sensor bypass and am keeping the factory seat belts also. Factorys for around town and light wheeling - harness for the nastier stuff. I can keep the harness waste belt tucked under the seat and it only takes a few minutes to rig the shoulder straps.

No Coors, get the Natty' light. Ill post a pic tomorrow when I'm done.
Nice... you're so smart!
post #22 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well after getting my Mastercrafts and installing them tonight, I must admit that the quality is exceptional. From the foam, to the stitching, to the internal frame, and even the provided fasteners; every detail of these seats is a huge step up in quality from the Corbeau seats. The reclining mechanism is way beefier and smoother than the cheaply made Corbeau one. Where excess vinyl is just kind of tucked away on the Corbeaus, there are no loose pieces visible on the Mastercrafts. Where plastic pieces are used on the Corbeaus, Mastercraft uses all metal parts.

Even though the Corbeau Baja RS seats look better IMO, the Mastercraft Baja RS seats are in a completely different category when it comes to safety and quality.

Name:  IMG_0247.JPG
Views: 36769
Size:  40.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0251.JPG
Views: 24823
Size:  38.3 KB

Last edited by desert dog; 09-10-2010 at 11:51 AM.
post #23 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

That bar looks high.... I know it is a safety issue if it is too low.... But does it matter if it is too high?

Seats look nice.... Let's hope they are DD proof.
post #24 of 28 Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That bar looks high...
Yep, I installed it before I put the seats in. Haven't even had time to try on the harness yet or install the sub strap. I am going to loosen up the bar and knock it down a few inches tomorrow. The 16 year old is already 6'-2" so I have to make sure I don't go too low.
post #25 of 28 Old 09-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

I had to flip my rockhard bar to get the proper angle on the harnesses. Only downside is you'll lose the factory seatbelts that you wanted to keep.

I like your new setup btw. Those harnesses look great in blue!

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode