Ball Joints - Dynatrac or Poly Performance - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 194
Feedback: 0 reviews
Ball Joints - Dynatrac or Poly Performance

i have bad b joints with only 7500 miles. Isn't that lame?!

from researching i have found 2 higher end products. Dynatrac Prosteer and poly performance.

Has anyone compared these 2 and decided which one you would like to go with?

Thanks
Lotus03 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
JKO Addict!
 
ALASHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 8,250
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
i have bad b joints with only 7500 miles. Isn't that lame?!

from researching i have found 2 higher end products. Dynatrac Prosteer and poly performance.

Has anyone compared these 2 and decided which one you would like to go with?

Thanks
My vote is Poly. Dynatrac cost roughly 5 times more and the rebuild kit for them is about the cost of Poly's so in the end, Poly is the more economic solution.
ALASHA is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
JKO Addict!
 
gold knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dawsonville, Ga
Age: 54
Posts: 11,065
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Well the Dynatrac looks like a fine piece and is rebuildable but $$$.

The Poly's seem to be a lot better quality than OEM, not rebuildable and $$ but they won't be out until December.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34227

Personally, I would get OE or Moog replacements and grease through the boot with a needle adapter. No idea what tire you're running but we're at 75k miles and still no ball joint issues with stock Rubi tires.

You can always preorder the Poly's while you can still drive your Jeep...

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
gold knight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 194
Feedback: 0 reviews

i have 35's and i just want the best product and am willing to pay more. i dont want this hassle.
Lotus03 is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Leon, Texas
Posts: 2,722
Feedback: 7 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I'd like to know if the dynatracs are rebuildable on the vehicle or do they have to be removed each time, if so there is no point in spending that much money. I'd also lime to know what and how poly has made theirs stronger to be able to last longer, their design looks a lot different internally than the stock ones do. I'm ball joint retarted so I have nothing to offer but questions as I was going to post the exact same topic after I read through the latest post for the day.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rob4607 is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Rock God
 
BadAssJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,038
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

The Dynatrac's are rebuildable while still pressed into the "C". And no comparison to stock or moog so, it was the only choice in my opinion. Worth the money as they do the job and well. I will always pay for a quality product (even though these are a tad excessive)

Last edited by BadAssJK; 09-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.
BadAssJK is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Rock God
 
DTJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 634
Feedback: 0 reviews

another thing to consider is that if you plan on going to the RCV shafts later, they will not be able to slide through the Prosteer ball joints. the lower ones are too tall and it blocks the CV from going through the knuckles. Just FYI.
DTJK is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
JKO Addict!
 
maverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Keller, TEXAS
Posts: 2,802
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJK View Post
another thing to consider is that if you plan on going to the RCV shafts later, they will not be able to slide through the Prosteer ball joints. the lower ones are too tall and it blocks the CV from going through the knuckles. Just FYI.
I don't believe that is the case... just requires removal of the boot, then the CV will go through.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
maverick is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Rock God
 
DTJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 634
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
I don't believe that is the case... just requires removal of the boot, then the CV will go through.
Ah, how do you install the boot after the shafts are in then? They slide through the inner shaft dude.
DTJK is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 840
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have Prosteers in my Prorock 44 and RCVs. Read usmcdocs write up about the install. The boot goes in firt then the axle.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Rock God
 
DTJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 634
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
I don't believe that is the case... just requires removal of the boot, then the CV will go through.
ah ok, i see what you mean, unseat the boot just to get it through the knuckle. Sorry, that didn't work either, tried it.

Last edited by DTJK; 09-07-2010 at 10:34 PM.
DTJK is offline  
post #12 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Rock God
 
taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 46
Posts: 1,134
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

All this talk about shafts and balls! My wife is going to think I'm on a porn site...

My balls went out at about 34k miles running stock Rubicon wheels and tires. I did however have a set of spacers on for 25k of those miles. That may have contributed to their demise. The dealer replaced all four. I have been running 35s now since the ball joints were replaced and haven't checked them. I plan on checking them this week when I rotate my tires (5k miles). If and when they go, I will probably get the Prosteers since they are rebuildable without removing everything. The price is a little over twice the cost, but it pays for itself in the maintenance - you won't have to remove shafts, risk breaking a seal, etc.

I also need to reinforce my C's! Good luck Lotus - let me know what you plan to do and when. I'd love to come by and take a look at your balls and shafts.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
taxman is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Rock God
 
DTJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 634
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
I have Prosteers in my Prorock 44 and RCVs. Read usmcdocs write up about the install. The boot goes in firt then the axle.
do you have a link? would love to see this cause we tried everything and couldn't get them in through the prosteer.
DTJK is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
JKO Addict!
 
cruzcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manteca, CA
Age: 44
Posts: 4,084
Feedback: 0 reviews

Depending on when you need them, besides the obvious difference, if I am correct, Poly's aren't available until December '10.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cruzcode is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 509
Feedback: 0 reviews

I got the Dynas and now my balls and nice and solid. I have the stock shafts still so I don't have to work about my balls rubbing against my shaft.
Hellbound13 is offline  
post #16 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Granite Guru
 
Crazygrady127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan / Tennessee
Posts: 201
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have Dyna's in mine with the RCV shafts and its a close fit but it worked !! Unlimited offroad put mine in and I know the said they had to put some extra work into it but they got them to work !! They are a large off road shop here in Michigan 810-936-7000 ask for Jarod and ask him about my Jeep , my name is Grady he is my friend so he will remember, and he will let you know what they had to do !! I tried to find the 800 number but Im to lazy to get out of bed !

Tear It Up - Fix It - And Do It Again !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crazygrady127 is offline  
post #17 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Rock God
 
DTJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 634
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygrady127 View Post
I have Dyna's in mine with the RCV shafts and its a close fit but it worked !! Unlimited offroad put mine in and I know the said they had to put some extra work into it but they got them to work !! They are a large off road shop here in Michigan 810-936-7000 ask for Jarod and ask him about my Jeep , my name is Grady he is my friend so he will remember, and he will let you know what they had to do !! I tried to find the 800 number but Im to lazy to get out of bed !
Wow, now i have to apologize to the OP for the hi jack. Perhaps they removed the knuckles and got them in that way. This was the only way we figured would've worked but decided that we didn't want it in that way cause if there ever is a trail repair, its not very practical to have to remove the knuckles. The seller was very nice to take the prosteer back and sent us a new set of standard ball joints.
DTJK is offline  
post #18 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 194
Feedback: 0 reviews

i talked to my Jeep dealer service rep on phone and he said he has never seen a JK with bad ball joints and i would be the first.
Lotus03 is offline  
post #19 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benton, AR
Age: 40
Posts: 437
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJK View Post
Wow, now i have to apologize to the OP for the hi jack. Perhaps they removed the knuckles and got them in that way. This was the only way we figured would've worked but decided that we didn't want it in that way cause if there ever is a trail repair, its not very practical to have to remove the knuckles. The seller was very nice to take the prosteer back and sent us a new set of standard ball joints.
I was able to install my RCVs with the knuckle and prosteers on the axle. Put the boot up in between the knuckle and c and then push the shaft through.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
jgkjeep is offline  
post #20 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!
 
SoK66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Four Corners
Posts: 4,132
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
i talked to my Jeep dealer service rep on phone and he said he has never seen a JK with bad ball joints and i would be the first.
Lol. He's probably never seen a bent JK front axle housing either.
SoK66 is offline  
post #21 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Rock God
 
Dynatrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 537
Feedback: 0 reviews

To date, the only time we've had ProSteer/RCV interference is when the factory (never ProRock) end forgings ('C's) are bent.

To confirm a previous comment, rebuilding the ProSteers can be done while the ball joints are still in the end forging. We've never had to sell a rebuild kit yet. Our Ford Beta testers were Diesel Super Duty guys that run and JUMP at Glamis with 40" rubber. Previously they could destroy a set of ball joints in a weekend. Nearly 2 years later, the ProSteer ball joints are still tight.
Dynatrac is offline  
post #22 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Rock God
 
taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 46
Posts: 1,134
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
i talked to my Jeep dealer service rep on phone and he said he has never seen a JK with bad ball joints and i would be the first.
Did you tell them about mine? I was at that dealership less than 3 months ago. Believe me, they will remember me. When they told me they would only replace a single ball joint (not a set, just a single ball), I nearly went postal on them. I had them call their district, regional and headquarters offices until I got them to approve replacing all 4 under warranty. They gave me the same BS excuse of "We've never seen this before."

They're full of it. Feel free to use my name and show them a picture of my rig - they'll remember it.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
taxman is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!
 
SoK66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Four Corners
Posts: 4,132
Feedback: 2 reviews

Back to the OP's q, I put the Dynatracs in earlier this year and am very pleased with the result. I probably had about 8k on the odo at that time and the original OEM pos's were still OK. The Dynas are not cost effective, frankly, but in the world of JK builds not much is.

The front end of the JK has a number of durability issues.

- Bent axle tubes
- Bent inner "C"s
- Weak track bar mounts
- Weak ball joints
- Sloppy intermediate shaft
- Weak pitman (sector) shafts on the steering box

One can get very deeply invested in trying to strengthen & rebuild the areas where Chrysler's bean counters stole from you. These issues affect the stock, unmodified vehicles as much as those that have been modified. A matter of time before Chrysler has to face the music, and a ripe opportunity for the aftermarket. At this time the housing, track bar mount and ball joints appear to have aftermarket solutions. We're still waiting for a more robust steering box and an intermediate shaft from Borgeson, Flaming River, etc.
SoK66 is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Genoa City, WI
Age: 43
Posts: 592
Feedback: 2 reviews

Couple of coments:
-I doubt any of you will ever need to rebuild a set of Dynatrac's
-There are no Moog ball joints available for the JK, they list a problem solver lower ball joint for the JK, but it is an adjustable one to correct castor/camber and it's for the TJ, it doesnt even work in a JK
-The only JK ball joints available currently are: Factory Mopar, Dynatrac and Crown. The crowns are not any better and probably worse than the factory mopar, they are really cheap (inexpensive) though. The list price on the Mopar joints are $110 per side
-The new Poly JK ball joints are not what the Dynatrac's are, but are a big step up from factory Mopar ball joints, at a fraction of the price of Dynatrac, but just a little more than Mopar. They will provide you with years of service, not months like the Mopar ones.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
GOAT1 is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 114
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Back to the OP's q, I put the Dynatracs in earlier this year and am very pleased with the result. I probably had about 8k on the odo at that time and the original OEM pos's were still OK. The Dynas are not cost effective, frankly, but in the world of JK builds not much is.

The front end of the JK has a number of durability issues.

- Bent axle tubes
- Bent inner "C"s
- Weak track bar mounts
- Weak ball joints
- Sloppy intermediate shaft
- Weak pitman (sector) shafts on the steering box

One can get very deeply invested in trying to strengthen & rebuild the areas where Chrysler's bean counters stole from you. These issues affect the stock, unmodified vehicles as much as those that have been modified. A matter of time before Chrysler has to face the music, and a ripe opportunity for the aftermarket. At this time the housing, track bar mount and ball joints appear to have aftermarket solutions. We're still waiting for a more robust steering box and an intermediate shaft from Borgeson, Flaming River, etc.
Just buy a pro rock front end, have them install the balljoint's and axels. Go wheeling and have fun.problem solved. Have a nice day!
CHOPPERDOUG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome