Axel Truss???????? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 30
Posts: 59
Feedback: 0 reviews
Axel Truss????????

i just upgraded to 37s. i dont have the money for an internal sleeves. i am going to do a axel truss. i was just wondering if some people could post some pictures of there. i am going to try to make a homemade one so just looking for some ideas.
rubijksilver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
StubEXrube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 15,335
Garage
Feedback: 5 reviews

I don't have any pics- but the truss may be a good idea. I saw a JK front axle today that was sleeved inside and outside, and it was cracking where the pass side tube meets the differential housing.

I'm sleeving and trussing mine next week or so.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
RIP Brad
 
abendx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NARDIAN!
Posts: 3,762
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Poly's truss....

Last edited by abendx; 01-09-2012 at 09:33 AM.
abendx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 PM
RIP Brad
 
abendx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NARDIAN!
Posts: 3,762
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I don't have any pics- but the truss may be a good idea. I saw a JK front axle today that was sleeved inside and outside, and it was cracking where the pass side tube meets the differential housing.

I'm sleeving and trussing mine next week or so.
That crack is due to welding dissimilar metals (a good welder should be able to get around that by rosebudding the diff housing first). I think, between the plug welds to the original tube, and then the seem weld between the two halves onto the original tube.... those cracks mean next to nothing. But.... for piece of mind, a truss certainly is not a bad investment.
abendx is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19
Feedback: 0 reviews

check out the universal trusses that ruffstuffspecialties carry. i'm using one on my hp44 in my bronco and it fits nice. i had to trim it to the right height before installing it. well, it's half installed right now.
mavereq is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!
 
KevinJBurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Age: 48
Posts: 2,770
Garage
Feedback: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
That crack is due to welding dissimilar metals (a good welder should be able to get around that by rosebudding the diff housing first). I think, between the plug welds to the original tube, and then the seem weld between the two halves onto the original tube.... those cracks mean next to nothing. But.... for piece of mind, a truss certainly is not a bad investment.
That is really good to know!

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
KevinJBurt is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Rock God
 
frankie945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: southern indiana
Age: 41
Posts: 1,693
Feedback: 5 reviews

Here is a truss I made. 1/4" plate steel. Welds on long side of axle at the diff to upper control arm mount. I do not plan to sleeve.
[IMG][/IMG]

Use a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit. Then use your cardboard cut out for a template.

Sure beats paying for one.

Last edited by frankie945; 09-07-2010 at 10:09 AM.
frankie945 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!
 
2k2wranglerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, pa
Age: 39
Posts: 10,271
Feedback: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubijksilver View Post
i just upgraded to 37s. i dont have the money for an internal sleeves. i am going to do a axel truss. i was just wondering if some people could post some pictures of there. i am going to try to make a homemade one so just looking for some ideas.
are the internal sleeves more $? i thought they were like 150 bucks... maybe i'm way off. i can't remember which ones we welded into jeepnick's...
2k2wranglerx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome