Element door closure issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003
Element door closure issues

So I've had the Bestop Element tube doors alone for a while now. For a few weeks now, the latches won't engage when I shut the doors (slamming, or gently- doesn't work either way). I just got the skins and uppers in over the past 2 days, and my problem is now serious, as with the windows on, I can't reach in and latch the doors (which I can ordinarily do, but only from the inside with a fair bit of maneuvering and two hands).

So, long and short, they don't close properly unless I wiggle the latch by hand, which I can't do from outside the Jeep. Bestop is sending me new latch assemblies, but has anyone else had similar issues with theirs, and how did they fix it? Thanks! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Granite Guru

I just received my Tube doors after a 2month wait period, but received front & rears, along with the enclosures. My brother has a similar 4dr JK, and he's been running the element tube doors, and latches were a biotch to align. Driver door needed major tweaking, and the passenger door unlatches too easy in my opinion. I will be installing tomorrow after work, and I will let you know if same things are going on. Nice to hear Bestop is stepping up to replace your latches.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #3 of 9 Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Slow and Low

Mine work perfectly. Just takes a little patience to get the latches lined up properly.
An easy upgrade to the skin mounting method:
Drill one hole in the top rear corner of each door skin and the plate in the tube door behind it.
Then mount the skin OVER the latch. The cutout in the skin is large enough to clear the mounting bolts for the latch.
Put one button head bolt through the new hole in the skin/plate and fasten with a nylock on the inside of the door.
NOW, you can remove your skins without fucking with your latch alignment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

^ NICE! I'll try that when I get those suckas back from paint! Thanks, amigo! Mark W.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Granite Guru

Nice, any concern, or warp look to the enclosure after install? The tube doors have a slight curve, also, any rattling, or did you insulate between door and enclosure? Thanks

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #6 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Slow and Low

The enclosure bolts up nice and tight with no warping.
It's just stupid that you have to remove the latches every time you want to remove the enclosures. Which is why I recommend the mod that I mentioned above. I've already test-fitted that method and it works fine. Just gotta drill a new mounting hole the next time I take the enclosures off.
Then the only bolts that would have to be removed would be the mirror bolts and one single bolt on the top rear corner of the doors, and the latches can remain in place.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ok- I got the new latches in from Bestop- tried the old ones off the car- the spring that holds on the bit that latches onto the body (the knobbie on the Jeep itself) was loose on both. Guess it was just a shite batch- new ones work fine! Thanks for the help- now I have to get the skins on! Thanks! Mark W.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 PM
JPK
Rock God

Perhaps Best Top has changed their latches or otherwise done something to correct their bending, but on my Element doors the latches, circa 2006 for an LJ, would bend at the latch. I had a small triangular reinforcing tab welded in and it cured the problem entirely.

Before the fix, the latches wouldn't stay adjusted and on occasion the doors would open on turns. The doors had skins.

JPK
post #9 of 9 Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Any chance you have a picture of where the tab was welded on? May do that on mine, if this happens again! Thanks- Mark W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode