Exhaust shopping. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Exhaust shopping.

I'm looking to install an exhaust on my JK and I'm not sure what to get, I'm a little torn between AFE And MBRP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to set off car alarms when I drive by, but just a nice low rumble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

MBRP

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Just take the muffler off.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Wheeler

The Banks Monster Exhaust has a nice sound. No car alarms going off, and not annoying with the top off.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Rubicon OIF 09

So, are there any true gains in swapping the stock? I havent even considered an exhaust until now. What are the pro's and cons here?

2014 Unlimited Rubicon X in Bright White!
3.5 Rock Krawler X factor lift, Truck Light headlights, a couple Rigged Industries light bars and Nitto Mud Grapples 37x13.50R17 on KMC Rockstar II's, Uniden Bearcat CB, RIPP Supercharger, Smitty BUilt 10k wireless winch with synthetic line, LUX Rock Lites, Rancho 9000 shocks, Crawler Concepts front bumper sprayed with Line-X, Grab Bars on the interior, with all Kicker Speakers including the kicker hide away sub in addition to the factory sub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i bought a flowmaster 40 series and two 90 degree elbows. made my own for less than $80 invested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #8 of 28 Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt
Go with Banks

I second the Banks Monster exhaust!! I love mine and the tone is purfect.

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #9 of 28 Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Granite Guru

MBRP seems to be the choice for cat back exhaust. I didn't want to spend that kind of cash so i opted for a flowmaster super 44. I removed the stock muffler, cut a section out from under the the drivers side door and relocated the muffler. I then bought a 45 elbow i think and a 45 tailpipe maybe. I can't remember the degree of bends, but i got it from auto zone for like 10 bucks total. The muffler cost me 75-80 bucks. So i have a relocated offroad muffler for cheap. Its not pretty by far but it gets the job done and saved me cash for other more important mods. I just don't think its worth spending alot of money on an exhaust that will get you very little gains. Same thoughts on an air intake. I'll get a snorkle before i get an air intake. The 3.8 mini van motor is tough to get good hp/tq numbers out of an exhaust and air intake from what i've read.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I like the Banks' sound, but from the photos I've seen, the exhaust tip looks like it sticks out a little too far. That's the only reason I haven't picked the Banks.
post #11 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
i bought a flowmaster 40 series and two 90 degree elbows. made my own for less than $80 invested.
I've got about $18 invested in my glasspack.

post #12 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
I've got about $18 invested in my glasspack.
Damn it... I went for the "expensive option" of a CHerry Bomb. 23 for the glasspack, 5 for the clamps.... 28 total investment. Of course you will need a sawsall. I've tucked mine in right next to the evap canister... perfect place for it... out of the way and uses all the stock pipes (minus a 20 or so inch section).

Slight drone at lower speeds (none on the highway) and about 30% louder than stock.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Rock God

Stuck a 40 series flowmaster on mine. Used a 90* from exhaust to muffler then a 45* off the muffler for the tailpipe.

Don't waste your money on one of those $300-$400 exhausts unless you just like getting raped.....

Buy a muffler and take a ride to the exhaust shop and have them weld it on.
post #14 of 28 Old 09-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Renzo Fighter

flowmaster! 80 series!

Click on this and fight!!
post #15 of 28 Old 09-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

Question for the guys with the Flowmaster Super 44 ... What is the noise level at highway speeds? Is there any drone? I had a dynomax super turbo on my Cherokee that I liked (could hardly tell it was there at highway speeds)...but it is described as "mellow", whereas the Flowmaster is described as "aggressive".

Thanks!

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #16 of 28 Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Damn it... I went for the "expensive option" of a CHerry Bomb. 23 for the glasspack, 5 for the clamps.... 28 total investment. Of course you will need a sawsall. I've tucked mine in right next to the evap canister... perfect place for it... out of the way and uses all the stock pipes (minus a 20 or so inch section).

Slight drone at lower speeds (none on the highway) and about 30% louder than stock.
Unless your behind him then it sounds like a rabid squirel. But for 30 bucks you cant complain.
post #17 of 28 Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Granite Guru

I have the MRBP stock location stainless kit. Nice sound and good power add. But I do have a couple of issues with it. One is it does not seal properly at the joints. Constant exhaust leaks and I have tried the tightening the clamps and sealers around the joints and they just flat out leak. Will need to be welded to seal.

Also, I know some have had issue with the pipe that passes near the drivers side rear shock. It hits the shock boot and burns it on certain shocks. I did not have this problem but I have seen a couple of others post pics of it.

Still a nice exhaust kit but the leaking problem has really pissed me off. I wish someone would have mentioned it to me before I bought mine. Would have went with a Magnaflow instead which seal better.

07 JK, 2-door X, 6-speed
Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift with Teraflex Shocks
Teraflex HD Front Track Bar
Teraflex HD Rear Track Bar Bracket
Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
4.88 gears, Eaton E-locker rear, Detroit Trutrac front
35 inch MTR Kevlar on 17x9 XD Spys
Superchips programmer
Volant CAI & VIPER TB
MBRP Stainless Exhaust
Granatelli Spark plug Wires
NGK Iridium Ix spark plugs
Mopar Enchanced Rock Sliders
Mopar Kicker Speakers & Quadratec Super Tweeters
KC Slimlights bumper & windshield
post #18 of 28 Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

post #19 of 28 Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Rubicon OIF 09

I'm going MBRP.

2014 Unlimited Rubicon X in Bright White!
3.5 Rock Krawler X factor lift, Truck Light headlights, a couple Rigged Industries light bars and Nitto Mud Grapples 37x13.50R17 on KMC Rockstar II's, Uniden Bearcat CB, RIPP Supercharger, Smitty BUilt 10k wireless winch with synthetic line, LUX Rock Lites, Rancho 9000 shocks, Crawler Concepts front bumper sprayed with Line-X, Grab Bars on the interior, with all Kicker Speakers including the kicker hide away sub in addition to the factory sub

post #20 of 28 Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

There must be a gain to doing an exhaust mod!

For 20 bucks to sound better! Great!
For 400 bucks I better get MPG or HP! And it should be proven some how!

I like the cool sounding/wallet option

New to the exhaust end of the JK, but I'm going for the wake the neighbors up at 5 am option. (But I will not spend money to lose any performance.)

Thoughts?

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #21 of 28 Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Granite Guru

MBRP. It gets the exhaust out of the way and sounds great. I have one.
post #22 of 28 Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
I'm looking to install an exhaust on my JK and I'm not sure what to get, I'm a little torn between AFE And MBRP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to set off car alarms when I drive by, but just a nice low rumble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
MBRP
We tested this exhaust early on and found this to be a very consistent product - The MBRP made 2-11 additional WHP over the entire RPM band...

The AFE 3" made the most HP on a JK we've seen - we only tested one but it was impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon OIF 09 View Post
So, are there any true gains in swapping the stock? I havent even considered an exhaust until now. What are the pro's and cons here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Just take the muffler off.
We know a lot of guys subscribe to this - and thats cool - but if your looking for HP - this is a bad move, it only sounds quicker.

In our opinion just lopping off the muffler doesn't sound great - but more importantly it factually kills low end power moving the HP all towards the upper RPM. JK's are very touchy to the back pressure and it effects the torque dramatically.

But hey - what do we know

RIPPTECH
post #23 of 28 Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
We tested this exhaust early on and found this to be a very consistent product - The MBRP made 2-11 additional WHP over the entire RPM band...

The AFE 3" made the most HP on a JK we've seen - we only tested one but it was impressive...
Cool. Which AFE system was it- The high-tuck system or the mach force xp? What knid of gains did it have?
post #24 of 28 Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Wheeler

I'm very happy with my gibson dual exhaust.

Take it out and play with it!
post #25 of 28 Old 10-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post

We know a lot of guys subscribe to this - and thats cool - but if your looking for HP - this is a bad move, it only sounds quicker.

In our opinion just lopping off the muffler doesn't sound great - but more importantly it factually kills low end power moving the HP all towards the upper RPM. JK's are very touchy to the back pressure and it effects the torque dramatically.

But hey - what do we know

RIPPTECH
Needing back pressure and the 3" exhaust creating more HP sounds contradictory.
Just saying.
The hp gains your mentioning is that a na jeep or boosted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode