anyone running the teraflex big brake kit? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

anyone running the teraflex big brake kit?

the wife needs new brakes on her JK. it sort of drives through the brakes at stop signs and the front rotors are pretty bad. i'm going to replace them. and i'm suspecting a caliper is sticking (uneven brake pad wear).

The rears need pads, but the rotors are decent. I'll probably cut them...

Anyway, to do good pads and good rotors all around was adding up to around 400 bucks shipped. with just off the shelf stuff at rock auto i think it was still like 280. PLUS i still have a possible sticking front caliper.

the teraflex kit is a little over 500 and it would take care of the caliper concern. i can cut the rear rotors and toss some semi-metallic on them. but for the $ difference i'm REALLY tempted to do the big brake upgrade. I'm just wondering what everyone's experience has been with them?

Thanks!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

I have no clue about their big brake kit. But of all the TF products I do own/run they have NEVER let me down or given me any issues.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think SSBC makes a caliper upgrade as well.

Dont know anyone running either though. Sorry Ryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
I think SSBC makes a caliper upgrade as well.

Dont know anyone running either though. Sorry Ryan.
http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/det....cfm?nPID=8696

950 is a little more than i want to spend though lol. plus no rotors... which is half the reason for considering the teraflex...

i just realized teraflex's might not be out yet
post #5 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

You should check out Rebel Offroad's kit. I have it, it works really well!

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

i did new good ceramic pads in the back tonight. squeak is gone and it's stopping better.... still deciding what to do in the front
post #7 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Wheeler

You say they might be sticking? Im thinking i have the same issue with my front. not sure what side but think its driver side that might be sticking sometimes. few times i had it pulling me to 1 side. Have not looked at them in past 2 months. they were kinda low then so.....good question. What breaks is it that some of you guys run here?
post #8 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfrompittsburgh View Post
You say they might be sticking? Im thinking i have the same issue with my front. not sure what side but think its driver side that might be sticking sometimes. few times i had it pulling me to 1 side. Have not looked at them in past 2 months. they were kinda low then so.....good question. What breaks is it that some of you guys run here?
the pads on the drivers side caliper are wearing unevenly. i noticed when i took the brakes off to pull the shafts to do the gears.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrazed View Post
You should check out Rebel Offroad's kit. I have it, it works really well!
How do they compair to stock? How much better are they?

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 23 Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
How do they compair to stock? How much better are they?
their kit is 500 bucks and it's slotted rotors and fancy pads....

OR for 60 bucks more you get slotted rotors (front only) with dual pistion calipers and BIGGER rotors and fancy pads from teraflex....

then just toss some 50 dollar fancy pads on the rear and call it good.

for the extra 100 bucks i'd go with the big brake kit
post #11 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Tribe4x4 will be installing the Teraflex BigBrake kit on my JK later this month... Thursday, 16Sep.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #12 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

The difference between stock and the Rebel kit is Significant! They are cross drilled, vented and slotted rotors, with posi quiet high quality, low dust pads.
The Jeep stops in a controlled manner and is very smooth in hard braking situations as well.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #13 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrazed View Post
The difference between stock and the Rebel kit is Significant! They are cross drilled, vented and slotted rotors, with posi quiet high quality, low dust pads.
The Jeep stops in a controlled manner and is very smooth in hard braking situations as well.
i don't disagree, but for just a little more to get 2 piston calipers and larger rotors... it's hard to justify the rebel...

we'll see how the teraflexes are once they start showing up on jeeps
post #14 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
i don't disagree, but for just a little more to get 2 piston calipers and larger rotors... it's hard to justify the rebel...

we'll see how the teraflexes are once they start showing up on jeeps
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but Rebel is 4 rotors and pads. Teraflex is only a front set up so there is some trade off here other than a little more $
post #15 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but Rebel is 4 rotors and pads. Teraflex is only a front set up so there is some trade off here other than a little more $
Correct.

REBEL OFFROAD ENGINEERING JK Brake Kit (Complete Kit)
Front and Rear Brake Rotors with Front and Rear Pads. (Up to 40% Better stopping than stock brakes)
Item number ROE-JK-BKC
Detailed view $499.95
Plus shipping and handling
Plus sales tax

JK Big Brake Kit
This front JK Big Brake kit includes: -Calipers The oversize twin-piston brake caliper provides for more clamping force, with an increased surface area while decreasing brake fade. The oversize caliper will provide a more efficient method of heat dissipation for increased stopping power. -Rotors with performance flutes (not show in current photo). High-performance 13.3” mill-balanced vented rotors keep the braking system cool for maximum stopping in all conditions. The dual wheel bolt pattern 5 on 5" and 5 on 5.5" allows for use on multiple wheel applications. A premium e-coat finish is durable and resists rust. -Pads are high performance optimized to provide maximum surface area and reduce brake dust and noise during extreme braking. The composite-resin, semi-metallic pads increase the lifetime of the brake system.
SKU: 4303400
Email or Call for Availability 1-888-837-2359
Price: $569.99

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #16 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Rock God

K Sport offers a big brake kit too.... 8 piston 13", 8 piston 14", 12 piston 15" and 12 piston 16". http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...8&class_8=2263
post #17 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
K Sport offers a big brake kit too.... 8 piston 13", 8 piston 14", 12 piston 15" and 12 piston 16". http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...8&class_8=2263
Thats pricey.
post #18 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thats pricey.
A lot cheaper than most brembo, baer and wilwood big brake kits. I wouldn't want a "cheap" big brake kit but thats just me.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
ya but they're stock sized rotors. you really don't need slotted/drilled rotors in the rear. rear rotors aren't even ribbed or vented. You're better off with the bigger rotors and 2 piston calipers on the front and just a good set of pads on the back.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok so I know this is an old thread but I would like to hear some long term reviews of this kit. I found a kit with 500 miles on it for $300 so I couldn't pass it up.

1. How's the braking?
2. Sponginess in brake pedal with and without upgraded master cylinder.
3. Brake pad wear and is Teraflex the only source of pads?
4. Anything else you can think of.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #21 of 23 Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Wheeler

I'm running the kit, and I love it. All kinds of braking power. Had it on for about 3000 miles so thats not a long term opinion but its a great system. Not sure about the difference with or without the master. I installed it at the same time.
post #22 of 23 Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Granite Guru

I've had mine for about 10k now and love them. Was not safe before now stops with ease. I also have the master and it works as advertised.
I believe the pads are Ram 1500 pads.

08 jk unlimited rubicon auto
4" currie lift, Reid Racing Knuckles, GenRight fenders and rock sliders 37" MTR's,Soft 8's DIY beadlocks,

post #23 of 23 Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM
JKO Addict!

I adapted the TF BB kit to Spyntec manual hubs and highly recommend it. I did the master cyl upgrade as well and recommend it as well. There are a few other kits out there as well. We have been trying to determine what TF modeled their kit after and have concluded it's a clone of the stuff on the military J8. FWIW, we also learned that some export markets like Australia get bigger brakes than North America as standard eqpt. All that aside, cost wise TF's kit is probably as good as you'll get.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode