rough country 3.5 lifts anyone?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

rough country 3.5 lifts anyone??

I am looking into gettin a lift for my 07 4 door Rubi, and I was wondering if anyone has or has ridden in a jeep with the new 3.5 lift from Rough Country. please tell me your thoughts! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

We just did one on a 2010 2dr and it actually rode quite well not as harsh as the RC kits of old. It was a very complete kit the only thing I would order extra would be extended brake lines.

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OR CALL 813.361.0869

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

^ nice looking stance on that JK.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Rock God

I have a 08 4 door and the Rough Country lift i installed is listed as the 3 1/4 lift and i am very pleased with it on and off road. Way better than factory ride and i would def get extended brake lines, I bought the lines for a 6" lift just in case i upgrade later. I think you will be just as pleased as I am. Anyway, I hope this helps brother.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #5 of 37 Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I am running the 3 1/4 lift and no real complaints. I don't think it is as smooth as the stock ride but thats just me, it could be my tire pressure too. As for the lift well it gets me by
post #6 of 37 Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am hearing good and bad about rough country, I have heard there old 2.2 shocks sucked but this new 3.5 kit comes with new desined shocks??? I have a good friend that is just so aginst RC lifts he thinks they are cheaply made junk?? I really dont see much wrong with them they are a compleate kit for a great price I just want to make sure I will be happy with the on road driveing because my rubi is my DD and my only vehical! please keep those coments comming THANKS to all who help me Decide!!!
post #7 of 37 Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Rock God

I'm a rough country hater.
post #8 of 37 Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would say also check out Rock Krawler 3.5" Kits as well they are on the other end of the spectrum great on and offroad ride but also more expensive. You wont here any complaints from anyone on these kits. Alot of jeepers and vendors on this forum choose this company for their company/personal rigs. Another positive on their kits is they can be upgraded at anytime to any of their other kits.

I'll be honest we do sell alot of Rough Country kits to customers that are on a budget and dont wheel their jeeps alot. I will say that the new kit is an improvement over the older kits.

It's hard to really guage what you might like. The best advice is to try to locate some guys in your area that have either kit and take a ride and see which one you like better.

Hope this helps.

OR CALL 813.361.0869

post #9 of 37 Old 09-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Rock God

I guess it depends what you're doing with it, we have a 2000 TJ with a RC 4" that's been on it for 5 years, only problem is we had a bushing give out, they replaced it N/C, no problem, and actually sent us a whole set.

We have a 4" on my wifes 07 Unlimited, it was a breeze to install, and with 37's it rides and handles way better than stock. Our wheeling is mostly on the beach, so I cant say anything about articulation.

I have heard about the shocks and people not liking them (I do know the coating or paint on the TJ shocks didn't last that long, no issues on the JK yet), but since shocks aren't something I change a lot, I have no reference point.

IMO, great lift for us, great price, and great service.

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
post #10 of 37 Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just to put a end to this question from me, I purchased a 3.5 mid arm flex kit from Rock Krawler and am very glad I made this choice!!

ATTN: ROCK KRAWLER
Thank you so much for the deal, you guys are awsome!!!! P.S. if you dont have RK get it!!
post #11 of 37 Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Don't do Rough Country, I have one and will be replacing it as soon as posible. It was the money factor that made me get it. I would go a different routt with what I know today. The RC sucks on the road and I'm always affraid something is going to break. The springs were good for about 6 months and then started to sag. I've lost about an inch in the back and 1.5 inches in front. On the road every time I hit a bump I have to be on it or I'm in the next lane. Again that happend later on. Save your money and get either a Terraflex or a Rock Krawler. Seriously, you get what you pay for and if you do the budget models on either of those to you will gain more heigth. Like if you do a Terraflex 2.5 you will gain more height then a 3.5 Rough C. Their just better springs and Rock Krawler is the shit if you do their budget and then decide to upgrade you can add on to it insted of trashing the whole thing or selling it. I hope this helps you. Please don't make the same mistake I did. I have to live with my mistake now as I'm in the poor house but God if I could go back and do it different I would...

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #12 of 37 Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Rock God

He did get the RK 3.5 mid arm kit. RK gave him a great deal too. We are going to install it tomorrow.He is stoked.
post #13 of 37 Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet thats awsome...lucky bastard!

Quote:
post #14 of 37 Old 11-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyloggy View Post
I am hearing good and bad about rough country, I have heard there old 2.2 shocks sucked but this new 3.5 kit comes with new desined shocks??? I have a good friend that is just so aginst RC lifts he thinks they are cheaply made junk?? I really dont see much wrong with them they are a compleate kit for a great price I just want to make sure I will be happy with the on road driveing because my rubi is my DD and my only vehical! please keep those coments comming THANKS to all who help me Decide!!!
I have been looking for the past month at Rough Country and others.
I won't buy Teraflex because ALL their stuff is made in China.
I read about the sagging springs and asked R.C about that. The 3.5 Kit springs have a lower rate than the 4" Kit. Either way, sagging is covered under warranty, they will replace them for free.
R.C stuff is made in the U.S and Canada. Their shocks are made in Mexico. (So are many major brands) Not made in China is a huge plus.
R.K. stuff costs more, but it appears to be worth it. I've been looking at the 3.5" Mid Arm X Plus. It seems to have everything.
I also have been looking at Full-Traction. Their kits are very complete. They are also 100% built / made in the USA. That is important. Our economy is in the toilet mainly due to so many people buying crap from China.
post #15 of 37 Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Granite Guru

I have the 3.25 lift, it rides really nice. I got it in July, so maybe it's new enough that there's no issues yet.
post #16 of 37 Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/C Guy View Post
I read about the sagging springs and asked R.C about that. The 3.5 Kit springs have a lower rate than the 4" Kit. Either way, sagging is covered under warranty, they will replace them for free.
R.C stuff is made in the U.S and Canada. Their shocks are made in Mexico. (So are many major brands) Not made in China is a huge plus.
R.K. stuff costs more, but it appears to be worth it. I've been looking at the 3.5" Mid Arm X Plus. It seems to have everything.
I also have been looking at Full-Traction. Their kits are very complete. They are also 100% built / made in the USA. That is important. Our economy is in the toilet mainly due to so many people buying crap from China.
Ok well have fun pulling your springs every 6 months oh and buy the way they will only cover them to be replaced once...I don't know that much about the Full Traction kits but DON'T do the Rough Cuntry crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf View Post
I have the 3.25 lift, it rides really nice. I got it in July, so maybe it's new enough that there's no issues yet.
You have untill January but I'm sure it will depend on how much you wheel. If you're just a mall crawler then it might last longer...anyway I hope you have better luck with yours then I did.

Quote:
post #17 of 37 Old 11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Wheeler

I sold my Teraflex BB lift I just bought used (never put it on ). I am going with a coil lift now so I have been searching and reading. This RC lift looks to be a decent lift compared to others. I want to hear more on this lift before I decide which lift to get. I like the Teraflex 2.5 coil lift too as a choice...any help would be great.
post #18 of 37 Old 11-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/C Guy View Post

NICE TEREFLEX!!! The funny thing is the the price that they are charging is still more expensive than the American made kits. You draw your own conclusions!
post #19 of 37 Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerdriver View Post
I sold my Teraflex BB lift I just bought used (never put it on ). I am going with a coil lift now so I have been searching and reading. This RC lift looks to be a decent lift compared to others. I want to hear more on this lift before I decide which lift to get. I like the Teraflex 2.5 coil lift too as a choice...any help would be great.

Check out the Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod System Great kit that you can build on as your budget allows.

No matter which lift you go with just make sure you do your research. Your lift is by far one of the most important mods you can do.

OR CALL 813.361.0869

post #20 of 37 Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Rock God

Install took only 5 hours. Rock Krawler 3.5 mid arm kit.
Pic of Crazyloggy JKU. All he needs now is a new pair of shoes.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by frankie945; 11-07-2010 at 07:36 AM.
post #21 of 37 Old 11-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I sell the full line of lift kits out their including Rough Country. There is nothing wrong with RC, every lift has its problems even the top of the line kits.

I sell 4-6 RC lift kits a month to Jeep Lithia that they install on their Jeep that roll out of their show room, they have never had any issues at all. They do not void the warranty when they install the RC & RK lifts at the dealership too.

We live 30 minutes from the Rubicon and lots of other famous trails in the Sierra mountains. This is were most of the wheeling is done and its not easy terrain. I have ran the Rubicon over 8 times in the past year with a RC lift with no problems. I have also ran RE, and RK.
The only warranty issue I have even had is the RC 4" X-series kit, the flex joint worn out a bit to fast and they sent a new set no questions asked. They also mentioned they buy their flex joint's from the same place the other lift kit company buy theirs at.

Something you guys might not know, is that most of the parts are bought from only a hand full of manufacturing company's that build for these parts for major name brand kits. There is only a couple manufactures that build coils, so most of the time they come from the same place just built to the spec of the purchaser and rebadged

I know the manufacture that most get the flex joints from, they don't make those parts in house. There is other ones too, I know a shock company that just send different stickers on their shock to different suppliers because I have talked to them about some shocks for a long arm kit that were are designing.

We are:

We also sell ARB 4x4 accessories, OR Fab, Trail Master Suspension, Rough Country suspension, Rock Krawler, Iron Rock Off Road, Rubicon Express, Rugged Ridge, Poly Performance, Trail Tools, Trailer DIY Parts including Tubs, and roof top tents
post #22 of 37 Old 11-07-2010, 09:28 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

To preface this I sell everything, including Rock Krawler, Tera Flex, Rough Country, ect.

I installed the RC 2.5" coil kit on the wife's JK in June of 09 and have had zero issues with shocks or springs. Its got over 15k miles on it and has been flexed out and beat up offroad. She jumps curbs and mall crawls almost daily according to the stories she tells me about her travels in the urban jungle.

I've got their budget boost on my 2 door (paid $40 used) and it is well made. It will be replaced shortly, but made sense at the time to get my build started and find a height I wanted.

The bitching about RC has a lot to do with brand identity in my opinion. I used to think that anything that wasn't Jeep specific was trash when I got into this game 10 years ago. Now I know way more about the industry my eyes have neen opened. As Sierra said...much of this stuff is manufactured by the same people and rebranded. No one is in business today because they make a crappy part. There is good in every kit and in the end you have to ask yourself if those huge beefy joints are what YOU need for YOUR application.

I've got friends who run Rough Country lifts and they've got HEMI swaps. Budget wasn't necessarily a factor in that build and he's happy as a lark with RC.

A customer can be happy or unhappy with any kit but I'd rather know that if I'm buying/selling a 2.5" lift to avoid driveshaft issues I'm getting/selling a 2.5" lift without surprise driveshaft issues and added expenses.

Overall I think that Rough Country is hard to beat in terms of support, customer service, options, and price. Are there beefier kits? Sure, but not all of us are running King of the Hammers.

Cheers guys!

post #23 of 37 Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Granite Guru

I am running a 2.5" RC coil lift for almost a year now.

No real complaints, it was affordable and easy to put on. I do think the ride is pretty rough, but never paid enough attention to the stock ride to be sure.

It's a good starter lift, I plan on upgrading in a few years.
post #24 of 37 Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Wheeler

What bothers me about choosing a lift kit is that most seem to need extras here and there. The RC 3.5 kit looks to have everything that you need. If any vendors want to pm me with a kit they suggest it would be great.
post #25 of 37 Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I started this thread and I am so happy with the choice I made! BUY Rock Krawler People!! frankie945, my brother, And I installed this kit on Saturday and yes the first thing we did was hit the trails, not only does this kit install nicely, but the improvement in the on road ride was simply amazing!!! and yes it didn't stop there the off road abilities were multiplied by 10. the high clearance control arms make a huge difference. People don't pass up this 3.5 mid arm kit it amazing!!!!!! The debate has ended Thank You!!

ATTN: ROCK KRAWLER
Thank you so much for the deal, you guys are awsome!!!! P.S. if you dont have RK get it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode