PUTTING IN GEARS INSTALL KITS ETC.?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 254
Feedback: 0 reviews
PUTTING IN GEARS INSTALL KITS ETC.??

SO I SEE THESE COMPANIES OFFER INSTALL KITS OVERHAUL KITS ALL THIS CRAP WONDERING WHAT DO I ACTUALLY NEED TO GET A SHOP TO DO IT RIGHT I HAVE A GUY I THINK WILL BE ABLE TO DO A GOOD JOB HAVE THE GEARS YUKON I GOT AN X UNLMITED WITH 23K MILES JUST HAD THE DEALER RESEAL THE DIFFS AND ADD OIL WHATEVER WHAT KITS DO I REALLY NEED? TO GET IT DONE CORRECLTY

THANKKKS

OME HD LONG TRAVEL LIFT F&R TRACK BARS CURRIE UPPER CONTROL ARMS JKS DISCONNECTS
marcoseddi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Granite Guru
 
MichaelMaxim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Woodbridge VA
Posts: 158
Feedback: 0 reviews

Whoa run on sentence. lol j/k

You need master install kits, a bearing press, impact gun and a big ass torque wrench. Call Randy's Ring and Pinion (www.RingPinion.com) and get him to set you up with the exact parts you need for your rig. Tell him the make and model and the axles you have. He'll be able to set you up with the master install kit with the correct shims. Make sure the kit comes with new bearings too. You'll want to reem out the old ones and use them as setup bearings (not re-use them).

Present - 2009 Rubi Unlimited on 37's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present - 2002 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer Sport Cruiser Boat (my other money pit)
Past - 97 XJ, lifted 8", 36" Iroks, locked, D44's, 4:1 case, custom fabbed bumpers, & more
Past - 01 TJ, 4.5 RE SuperFlex Lift, 35" TruXus MT's
MichaelMaxim is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Age: 47
Posts: 56
Feedback: 1 reviews

The bare minimum:
Gear sets
crush sleeves
tube of silicone
gear marking compound
brush
oil


Most get:
Gear sets
Basic install kits
oil
Jeep_fab_&_Gears is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 08-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Age: 47
Posts: 56
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMaxim View Post
Make sure the kit comes with new bearings too. You'll want to reem out the old ones and use them as setup bearings (not re-use them).
FYI. on a JK you really dont need setup bearings.
The carrier shims go on after the bearings.
The pinion shims go on under the inner pinion race.
Jeep_fab_&_Gears is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Dr.Dirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hesperia Ca
Posts: 8,653
Garage
Feedback: 21 reviews

Its going to lean after you do gears.........

www.jeepasylum.com
Dr.Dirty is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Genoa City, WI
Age: 43
Posts: 592
Feedback: 2 reviews

Bare minimum would be pinion nut, crush sleeve, ring gear bolts and shims. I do a few gear swaps, most are low miles and I just re-use all the bearings. Since you don't have to take off the carrier bearings, they are easy to re use. You can just leave the front pinion bearing and seal in the housing. The hardest part is to remove the big pinion bearing because you have to put the shims under it. The install kits are expensive and you don't need all the parts, for that reason I made these kits
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-18816.html

Just has the bare minimums, you use the same shims front and rear and can use the loctite and gear marking compound front and rear too.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
GOAT1 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!
 
2k2wranglerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, pa
Age: 38
Posts: 10,266
Feedback: 4 reviews

my .02 is just do the deal from 4wd. 550 shipped to your door. you get:

ring and pinion front and rear
MASTER install kits (that come with all bearings/shims)
front and rear G2 diff covers


that's a helluva deal. even if you do what i did and dont' replace the carrier bearings, it's still a good deal.

i think northridge's was similar to that but didn't come with diff covers.

or for 450 you can get it with just shims, crush sleeves, and pinion bearings (you will need new pinion bearings), and pinion seals.





tool wise:

press to pull pinion (and carrier if you decide to replace them) and bearing collar
a digital caliper for measuring shims (like 20 bucks at harbor freight)
a tq wrench

how you crush the crush sleeve is up to you. I used the impact at my buddy's shop since it has like 200+ psi going to it, it had enough (barely) to crush the sleeve. most people use a 4 or 5' breaker bar

magnetic dial indicator for checking backlash
in/lb meter for setting pre load

(i did pre load by feel, and i have done backlash by feel as well, but didn't last time)




as far as install. i've done 2 jk's so far (well 3 but i only did the tear down/reassembly on thinkmud's, i didn't set those gears) and we added .005 to both pinions on jeepnick's and i added .008 to both on my wife's and they set up perfectly.
2k2wranglerx is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!
 
2k2wranglerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, pa
Age: 38
Posts: 10,266
Feedback: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
Bare minimum would be pinion nut, crush sleeve, ring gear bolts and shims. I do a few gear swaps, most are low miles and I just re-use all the bearings. Since you don't have to take off the carrier bearings, they are easy to re use. You can just leave the front pinion bearing and seal in the housing. The hardest part is to remove the big pinion bearing because you have to put the shims under it. The install kits are expensive and you don't need all the parts, for that reason I made these kits
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-18816.html

Just has the bare minimums, you use the same shims front and rear and can use the loctite and gear marking compound front and rear too.
i'm not trying to hate, but there's not a lot there for 150 bucks... just my .02... i mean if you have to buy gears anyway... you're 320 bucks in. add your 150 plus shipping and that's 470 without shipping... for 80 bucks more you get ALL the bearings AND front and rear diff covers.... that's just how my brain works though.









after my gear install i had almost all the shims left (only had to open 1 package of pinion shims and didn't need the carrier shims), i had unopened RTV (since the G2's come with it), an extra tube of lock tite, an extra brush and paint for the gears, and all 4 carrier bearings.

i sold that with my front and rear 4.10's for 150 bucks...

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 09-01-2010 at 10:41 AM.
2k2wranglerx is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Genoa City, WI
Age: 43
Posts: 592
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
i'm not trying to hate, but there's not a lot there for 150 bucks... just my .02... i mean if you have to buy gears anyway... you're 320 bucks in. add your 150 plus shipping and that's 470 without shipping... for 80 bucks more you get ALL the bearings AND front and rear diff covers.... that's just how my brain works though.









after my gear install i had almost all the shims left (only had to open 1 package of pinion shims and didn't need the carrier shims), i had unopened RTV (since the G2's come with it), an extra tube of lock tite, an extra brush and paint for the gears, and all 4 carrier bearings.

i sold that with my front and rear 4.10's for 150 bucks...
Yeah your right, we're not a gear company, hard to compete with Genuine gear and 4 wheel parts/4wd hardware, they do huge number and have slim margins. Did they bother to give you good instructions with their gear set?

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
GOAT1 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Granite Guru
 
MichaelMaxim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Woodbridge VA
Posts: 158
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_fab_&_Gears View Post
FYI. on a JK you really dont need setup bearings.
The carrier shims go on after the bearings.
The pinion shims go on under the inner pinion race.
Sorry I was referring to my Waggy Dana 44's that I did on my XJ last year. I haven't been inside a Rubi D44 as of yet. In about two weeks I will be though when I drop my 5.38's in.

Present - 2009 Rubi Unlimited on 37's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present - 2002 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer Sport Cruiser Boat (my other money pit)
Past - 97 XJ, lifted 8", 36" Iroks, locked, D44's, 4:1 case, custom fabbed bumpers, & more
Past - 01 TJ, 4.5 RE SuperFlex Lift, 35" TruXus MT's
MichaelMaxim is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!
 
2k2wranglerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, pa
Age: 38
Posts: 10,266
Feedback: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
Yeah your right, we're not a gear company, hard to compete with Genuine gear and 4 wheel parts/4wd hardware, they do huge number and have slim margins. Did they bother to give you good instructions with their gear set?
not with the G2's. the yukons usually come with a set of instructions though.


not really rocket science though. uninstall. add between .005 and .010 to the pinion shim, reinstall, check backlash and pattern (use a chart from randy's), uninstall, add crush sleeve, crush until correct preload, re-assemble everything.


on the lift took about 8 hours by myself. on the ground add a few hours. what took me the longest was things like getting the rear pinion out of the upper pinion bearing. i had to beat the piss out of it with a nylon hammer. took like 10 minutes of constant beating (hehehehehehe awesome), getting the rusty ass 13 mm 12 point bolts out for the unit bearings, same with the D44 retainer plate nuts. anywhere i couldn't get the impact into.

the rest of it is simple IMHO.


the poly setup kit would be ok if you get a set of free 4.10's or something and just need the shims/crush sleeve/etc and are trying to do it on the super cheap.

It just scares me re-using pinion bearings... more because i suck at not nubbing up the bearings with the bearing collar... and i don't know if you've tried to get axle parts for the JK at the local parts store... they seem to not be able to figure out WTF these axles are. nothing is ever right. pinion seals, pinion nuts, etc. nothing ever seems to be correct.

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 09-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.
2k2wranglerx is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 254
Feedback: 0 reviews
jk

i cant find that 4wd.com deal for 550.00 with covers. whats the benifits of differntial covers? is this a quality of this package good? i have a guy that could hook me up with yukon gears 4.88 for my 3.21 gears jeep, i have to get a carrier also, do i need spider gears also? thanks alot guys

OME HD LONG TRAVEL LIFT F&R TRACK BARS CURRIE UPPER CONTROL ARMS JKS DISCONNECTS
marcoseddi is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!
 
2k2wranglerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, pa
Age: 38
Posts: 10,266
Feedback: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoseddi View Post
i cant find that 4wd.com deal for 550.00 with covers. whats the benifits of differntial covers? is this a quality of this package good? i have a guy that could hook me up with yukon gears 4.88 for my 3.21 gears jeep, i have to get a carrier also, do i need spider gears also? thanks alot guys
supposedly you need a front carrier, you can put your spiders out of yours in it though. back int he day thinkmud and i put 5.13's in his jeep with 3.21's and used the stock carriers... people don't believe me but we did.

diff covers just provide more protection. they're the G2 aluminum that seem decent. i have one on my front 60 and i haven't busted it yet (and i CAVED the stock cover in).

also, aluminum helps disapate (sp?) heat quicker than cast. it's a trade off, but i haven't heard of anyone breaking one (they're not like the shiny aluminum show covers)

there's 3 companies that make gears for everyone. after setting up 2 G2 gearsets i was very happy with the quality. of course we'll have to see how well they hold up. timken bearings came with the setup kits, so no chinese junk or anything.
2k2wranglerx is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!
 
2k2wranglerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, pa
Age: 38
Posts: 10,266
Feedback: 4 reviews

to order it, 800-333-5535 ext. 938

tell him Dunbar sent ya

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 09-01-2010 at 05:48 PM.
2k2wranglerx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome