35" vs. LT295 Tire Difference? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
chrispage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 74
Feedback: 0 reviews
35" vs. LT295 Tire Difference?

I'm going to be upgrading to larger tires from my 32" stock tires, likely onto new 18" wheels.

The overall diameter of the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, LT295/70R18 is 34.57", while the the diameter of the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, 35x12.50R18LT is 35.04". The kicker is it'll run me an extra $235 for four "true" 35's as opposed to the LT295s.

My question is this: other than about 0.47" total diameter, what am I giving up by going with the LT295? Is it a width/footprint thing? If they are exactly equal other than diameter, I can live with 34.57" for $235 less. Is the 35" somehow a better made/suited tire for off-road? What am I getting other than half an inch for $235?

Thanks!

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.

Last edited by chrispage; 08-31-2010 at 09:42 AM.
chrispage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Rock God
 
Taco08jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Douglasville Ga
Age: 37
Posts: 869
Feedback: 0 reviews

The 295-70R18 is the metric equivalant to a 35 12.50R18, the metric sizes usually run smaller in diameter as well as smaller in width. If you can live with the slight difference in height and width and the sidewall reading 295-70R18 instead of 35 12.50R18 then go for it.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
Taco08jk is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Granite Guru
 
jjbooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 328
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Got the 295's

I have the Nitto 295 70R18 trail grapplers and love em. According to the web site they list them at the 34.57 diameter and 11.73 width. The width is pretty much right on but the diameter is closer to 34.15, which is about 3/8 of an inch smaller than they list. I also compared them to the Nitto trail grappler 35x12.50 18's and they are only about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter, which is not enough to notice (the 35x12.50's are not 35.04 either they are closer to 34.45 inches).

I'm not just throwing numbers out I actually measured both tires while mounted on rims (marking the tire, roll the tire, measure then divide by 3.1416).

Now as far as the width, the 35x12.50's are about 1 1/4 inches wider, to me it wasn't a big deal but you can definitley notice the difference between the two tires in width. Hope this helps....When looking to buy the tires I actually compared apples to apples....I mean tires to tires

JJ
jjbooth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
JKO Addict!
 
jeeperjkj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Browns Mills, NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 6,233
Garage
Feedback: 7 reviews

I'd think the 315/70-18 would be closer to a 35x12.50-18.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeeperjkj is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Granite Guru
 
jjbooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 328
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Nitto doesn't make the 315/70-18 in the trail grappler tire. That would have been the tire I would have got.......................

JJ
jjbooth is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Rock God
 
Taco08jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Douglasville Ga
Age: 37
Posts: 869
Feedback: 0 reviews

Jeeperjk you are correct, the 315 is a metric 35 but the trail grappler doesn't come in 315 so thats why i mentiond the 295 as the metric equiv.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
Taco08jk is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 PM
JKO Addict!
 
jeeperjkj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Browns Mills, NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 6,233
Garage
Feedback: 7 reviews

Gotcha.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeeperjkj is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!
 
KevinJBurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Age: 48
Posts: 2,770
Garage
Feedback: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

I have the Nitto Trail M/T's 295/70 So far they are the best tire I've ever had they are pretty quite and look/perform awsome. If you have a preference on what side to put outward make sure you tell them and be very upfront about it. When I got mine put on I told him "style" side out and he said "ok" but then I noticed that they were putting them on wrong and they had to do it over which did'nt make anyone happy. The tire is thinner then the 35 but that is the only thing noticable when they are next to each other. You are going to be very happy with this tire!!

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
KevinJBurt is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM
JKO Addict!
 
gold knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dawsonville, Ga
Age: 54
Posts: 11,065
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJBurt View Post
I have the Nitto Trail M/T's 295/70 So far they are the best tire I've ever had they are pretty quite and look/perform awsome. If you have a preference on what side to put outward make sure you tell them and be very upfront about it. When I got mine put on I told him "style" side out and he said "ok" but then I noticed that they were putting them on wrong and they had to do it over which did'nt make anyone happy. The tire is thinner then the 35 but that is the only thing noticable when they are next to each other. You are going to be very happy with this tire!!
I've never heard of that before, what does it mean?

Edit... never mind I just looked at the website. One side offers Stylized Lettering and the other side offers Traditional Lettering.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 08-31-2010 at 02:37 PM.
gold knight is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Age: 49
Posts: 115
Feedback: 0 reviews

Can I jump in for a minute? So, can I put a LT 295 on a stock 08 JK rim which is a 16.

I unfortunately have been banned by my wife from buying anymore rims/tires, B/C I still have a set(5) of 32's on 15" rims from my TJ that I sold last week, used less than 1k miles.
ChatterBox is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!
 
KevinJBurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Age: 48
Posts: 2,770
Garage
Feedback: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatterBox View Post
Can I jump in for a minute? So, can I put a LT 295 on a stock 08 JK rim which is a 16.

I unfortunately have been banned by my wife from buying anymore rims/tires, B/C I still have a set(5) of 32's on 15" rims from my TJ that I sold last week, used less than 1k miles.
I dont know if they make a 295 for a 16 inch rim. I have been searching and can't find one. If they do you would need at least a 2 inch lift and wheel spacers or else they would rub. I have a 2.5 inch lift and my fronts rub a little on a full turn so Im getting spacers.

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
KevinJBurt is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
JKO Addict!
 
KevinJBurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Age: 48
Posts: 2,770
Garage
Feedback: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I've never heard of that before, what does it mean?

Edit... never mind I just looked at the website. One side offers Stylized Lettering and the other side offers Traditional Lettering.
Yep, you got it. The stylized side has more aggresive side wall tread too.

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
KevinJBurt is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
chrispage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 74
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
I have the Nitto 295 70R18 trail grapplers and love em. According to the web site they list them at the 34.57 diameter and 11.73 width. The width is pretty much right on but the diameter is closer to 34.15, which is about 3/8 of an inch smaller than they list. I also compared them to the Nitto trail grappler 35x12.50 18's and they are only about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter, which is not enough to notice (the 35x12.50's are not 35.04 either they are closer to 34.45 inches).

I'm not just throwing numbers out I actually measured both tires while mounted on rims (marking the tire, roll the tire, measure then divide by 3.1416).

Now as far as the width, the 35x12.50's are about 1 1/4 inches wider, to me it wasn't a big deal but you can definitley notice the difference between the two tires in width. Hope this helps....When looking to buy the tires I actually compared apples to apples....I mean tires to tires

JJ
Thanks for the great info, especially on the "real life" tire size and width difference. As this is my DD, I'm assuming the slightly more narrow 295 tire will reduce noise and improve street manners, without sacrificing too much performance on the trail?

Looking forward to my new wheels/tires! I guess re-gearing is next, as I understand 3.73 just isn't going to cut it with 34+" tires... argh, it never ends!

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.
chrispage is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
chrispage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 74
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
I have the Nitto 295 70R18 trail grapplers and love em. According to the web site they list them at the 34.57 diameter and 11.73 width. The width is pretty much right on but the diameter is closer to 34.15, which is about 3/8 of an inch smaller than they list. I also compared them to the Nitto trail grappler 35x12.50 18's and they are only about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter, which is not enough to notice (the 35x12.50's are not 35.04 either they are closer to 34.45 inches).

I'm not just throwing numbers out I actually measured both tires while mounted on rims (marking the tire, roll the tire, measure then divide by 3.1416).

Now as far as the width, the 35x12.50's are about 1 1/4 inches wider, to me it wasn't a big deal but you can definitley notice the difference between the two tires in width. Hope this helps....When looking to buy the tires I actually compared apples to apples....I mean tires to tires

JJ
Hey JJ, I saw your Jeep pics, looks sharp, and I liked seeing the tires to get an idea what they look like on.

Two quick questions:

1) do you have the 295 spare sitting on the stock spare carrier? Any concerns about weight, etc.?

2) Love the relocated brake lights to the lugs. Did you by a kit or homemade? Great idea.

Thanks!

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.
chrispage is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Age: 49
Posts: 115
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
I have the Nitto 295 70R18 trail grapplers and love em. According to the web site they list them at the 34.57 diameter and 11.73 width. The width is pretty much right on but the diameter is closer to 34.15, which is about 3/8 of an inch smaller than they list. I also compared them to the Nitto trail grappler 35x12.50 18's and they are only about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter, which is not enough to notice (the 35x12.50's are not 35.04 either they are closer to 34.45 inches).



Now as far as the width, the 35x12.50's are about 1 1/4 inches wider, to me
JJ
JJ which lift did you use and how much height did it add? How tall are the 295's?
ChatterBox is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
chrispage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 74
Feedback: 0 reviews

I found a great deal on the 35" Trail Grapplers, so I'm doing four of those, plus an LT285 Trail Grappler as a spare, all on 18" XD Series XD778 Monster wheels. Can't wait!

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this.

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.
chrispage is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Granite Guru
 
jjbooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 328
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Tires

Chris sorry I haven't got back with you but I have been in and out of town and just haven't been paying attention to the posts. I see you've made your purchase and I think you'll really like the tires.

I have the spare mounted on the stock tire mount for now but will eventually change that for another type of mount and yes with the pounding off road I am worried about the weight of the tire. What I probably will do since I have the Rugged Ridge XHD rear bumper will be to add their XHD tire carrier mount later on to the bumper.

The third brake light I have is the "Delta Waterproof Lug Nut Light" and can purchased at http://www.quadratec.com/products/16181_101.htm for about $30.00.

Chatter I am running a 2 1/2" coil lift with additional 3/4" coil spacers in the front to even the rake out due to the extra weight of the winch and bumper.
I like my lift but I wish I would have found this site first, these guys on here have a wealth of information and after reading a shit load of threads I would have went with another lift rather than the one I have now.

Hope this helps...............

JJ
jjbooth is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 98
Feedback: 0 reviews

JJ
Now I am curious....What lift do you have? And what would you have gotten?
Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
Chris sorry I haven't got back with you but I have been in and out of town and just haven't been paying attention to the posts. I see you've made your purchase and I think you'll really like the tires.

I have the spare mounted on the stock tire mount for now but will eventually change that for another type of mount and yes with the pounding off road I am worried about the weight of the tire. What I probably will do since I have the Rugged Ridge XHD rear bumper will be to add their XHD tire carrier mount later on to the bumper.

The third brake light I have is the "Delta Waterproof Lug Nut Light" and can purchased at http://www.quadratec.com/products/16181_101.htm for about $30.00.

Chatter I am running a 2 1/2" coil lift with additional 3/4" coil spacers in the front to even the rake out due to the extra weight of the winch and bumper.
I like my lift but I wish I would have found this site first, these guys on here have a wealth of information and after reading a shit load of threads I would have went with another lift rather than the one I have now.

Hope this helps...............

JJ
lobe50 is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 80
Feedback: 0 reviews

I hear the Terra grapplers run wide, if that's the case, can someone tell me the backspace needed to clear a 35x12.5x17? I hear they run about 13.19" wide irl...

Dirty Mudder on FB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
DirtyMudder is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
chrispage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 74
Feedback: 0 reviews

Unmounted (and therefore uncompressed by Jeep weight) the 35x12.5x18 Terra Grapplers I just got measure 34.68" tall and 12.74" wide (12" across is the contact width, the rest is the side tread).

Can't help you on the backspacing; I got mine mounted on XD Series Monsters with 4.5" backspacing with no rubbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMudder View Post
I hear the Terra grapplers run wide, if that's the case, can someone tell me the backspace needed to clear a 35x12.5x17? I hear they run about 13.19" wide irl...

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.
chrispage is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Granite Guru
 
jjbooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 328
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Lift

Chris the lift I am running is a SkyJacker 2 1/2" coil spring lift. I also added 3/4" spacers to the front to even the rake out. It is not a bad lift but I have had some steering issues with the lift running on the road. With some work like taking the SkyJacker front track bar bracket off and installing some JKS suspension parts.. front and rear adjustable track bars to re-center the track, adding JKS quick discos....the drivability on the street is now good again.

If I had it to do all over again from what I have read on here, what I have seen on other JK's around town and talking to at least 4 different shops around the Tampa Bay area, my personal preference would be the Rock Krawler or TeraFlex suspension systems, in that order. Again this is just my opinion.

I do not plan on rock crawling as where I am at there is none, but we have plenty of sand and mud so for me I would stay at the 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" lift range.

In closing I'll say the SkyJacker is a okay lift but I think there are better out there for just a little more money.

JJ
jjbooth is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 100
Feedback: 0 reviews

It may not mean much to some, but the narrower tire will perform better on every surface except mud and beach sand. There are more lbs/sq in with the narrow tall tire which will help it grip most surfaces including shale. I've found that to be true while wheeling in my ZJ w/10.5" wide 33s with a TJ w/12.5" wide 33s. Both were locked and aired down. Plus, it will roll withy less resistance on the road.

97 ZJ 5.2, Atlas, hp30, 8.8, alloys, locked F&R, Clayton LA lift, 35" KM2's
97 TJ 110" WB, Atlas, 350 chevy, D60, 14B, 42" Pit Bulls.
Venturer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome