Snorkel Install Help? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Snorkel Install Help?

Hey yall,

I have a River Raider Snorkel that will be here in the morning. I live in Tallahassee, Fl and was wondering if anyone around here has any experience or would wanna lend a hand in the install. I live in a townhome with no real tools so I would have to get it installed at a shop and was just quote $300!!!! I would be willing to drive a considerable distance if need be.

Thanks,
Keith

Next up:
4.88's from Gerry at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 35's (Toyos or MTR/k) Linex/Raptor Line, Safari Straps, Marathon Seat Covers, tube flares, rear armor/tire carrier

In the old days we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash, and Bob Hope.... Now we have Obama, no cash, and no hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

hey man, im obvioulsy not close but i just installed one yesterday,

get a ton of RTV black silicon
rust prevention paint
3inch hole saw
Allen key to fit the bolts on the battery tray
3/8 inch drill bit
Screw drivers
*i would highly advise a plug in drill, cordless is most likely not going to cut it, found out the hard way

another thing that makes it easier is the proper nut ofr the hose clamps, cant remember the size but it helps

good luck and pm me if you need any help, though im sure there are others in your area that are more than willing to help... i know Tom, Mr. T, didnt mind watching someone else drill a big hole in the side of their jeep

GOOD LUCK!!!

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #3 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Awesome... Thanks for the reply... how long did it take ya and do you have any pictures?

Next up:
4.88's from Gerry at
, 35's (Toyos or MTR/k) Linex/Raptor Line, Safari Straps, Marathon Seat Covers, tube flares, rear armor/tire carrier

In the old days we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash, and Bob Hope.... Now we have Obama, no cash, and no hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Rock God

you will love it once you get it installed ... its a great snorkel yeah good point about the plug in drill.... cordless one wont last long.. and might even want to use a 3 1/8 whole saw for alittle wiggle room...

post #5 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yea... their great to deal with... that color match is sweet... i got gatorhyde.... if i had more tools/ knew more people here I would order their fenders right now as well....looks great!

Next up:
4.88's from Gerry at

post #6 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Rock God

thanks yeah their fenders are awesome as well.... easy to install... to bad your not closer i would help you install eveything .. good luck !
post #7 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

i opted for the 3 inch and then used a dremel to give a tiny bit of wiggle room AND to smooth the edges...here is why

after you have the holes put a piece of paper, i used the instructions, against the hole on the inside and spray rust prevention spray paint and then do the outside with the paint and your finger. Then as an added seal i took the RTV and put a lip on the inside (hence smoothing the edges) just to be safe.

honestly i bought the snorkel used (i know its a white rhino, you never see a used RR) and the airbox had the plate and adapter already on and sealed, all i had to do was seal the bottom (still dont know why that was open) and the install still took me and a friend 4 hours, though we did take our time at some parts and scratched our heads occasionally as well

again there are plenty of resources here and you can always call kenny too, so you should have no problem with the install and plenty of people will answer you during if you have questions

Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #8 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

and yes you NEED A CORDED DRILL

and

post #9 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18905

write up here. it is a really easy install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #10 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18905

write up here. it is a really easy install
HAAH... i have your page bookmarked and have read through it many times...but not tools = a bit harder...

Next up:
4.88's from Gerry at

post #11 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

klutz, all you really need is the tools that JoePile mentioned. Don't give me that excuse of living in a townhouse, I'm a townhouse dweller and mine turned out fine. Spring for a few tools and your collection will grow.

Just when they think they have all the answers, I go and change the question.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyk View Post
klutz, all you really need is the tools that JoePile mentioned. Don't give me that excuse of living in a townhouse, I'm a townhouse dweller and mine turned out fine. Spring for a few tools and your collection will grow.
The man ain't lyin. Now all I gotta do is convince the missus we need that RROR gear, and I'm all set.

Mike, you gotta get back up for another camping trip. I need another look at at that sweet bumper you made.

And FWIW, I think I figured out how to get a fire lit with flint, steel & dryer lint, thanks to Jeepersheart.

post #13 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to jsebastian

I did this install a couple of months ago. It was pretty easy, took me a good chunk of the day, but well worth it. I went the same way as joePILE; used a 3" hole saw and used a dremel to smooth out the hole. A pair of gloves would help because that drill got pretty hot. I would suggest a center punch and a pilot hole before cutting into your fender. You don't want that hole saw to dance across your fender...

As far as tools, they are worth buying. You will more than likely use them again for subsequent mods, except maybe the hole saw...

John

post #14 of 17 Old 08-31-2010, 06:12 AM
Banned

Everyone needs a drill. Head to a Pawn shop and pick one up. Might cost you 20 bucks for a decent one. They might have the hole saw attachment as well. You can do it man.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i go to school at fsu... back in texas i have lots of tools but here there is no room to store them... i dont even have a power cord here

Next up:
4.88's from Gerry at

post #16 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz1001 View Post
i go to school at fsu... back in texas i have lots of tools but here there is no room to store them... i dont even have a power cord here
Just get some of the Football players to steal some tools for you. They are good at that at Free Shoes U.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to jsebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz1001 View Post
I'm sure there are some JKO members in your area who are willing to help with tools and letting you use their driveway. All it'd cost you is a few

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode