Frame mods for 40s - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Frame mods for 40s

I really want to step up next year and run 40s, but want to keep as much turning radius as possible on the wagon. Can someone show me some pics of the frame mods done up front to clearance without adjusting in steering stops or running 2 inches of BS. I'm aware of everything else needed, and don't have any trouble cutting in the wheel wells etc. Thanks

LJ Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Slow and Low

post #3 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 02:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Here is what Nemesis did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Industries View Post

Here are some pics of the Red JK.
Since I am new to the forum thing I am going to preface this with this should probably be a build thread so if it needs to be moved someone let me know.

There were a few constraints to this project which is why some of the modifications were completed to such a degree. The major one being the vehicle had to remain on the stock rims. This was difficult due to the offset which as I said took the modifications to another level.

The two major areas that had to be modified are the frame and the forward most body/grill mount. The frame was the easy part, simply cut out a section of the frame and plate it. The bigger issues was the body mount. Some people might just adjust the steering stops we figured that would be cheating. Instead we went in and removed the existing body mount and made a new one. The following pictures will take you briefly through the steps involved.

With the grill removed here is the stock body/grill mount.

We took all of the stock measurements so we could get things back to square and then began cutting and grinding all of the parts associated with the mount off. Next we built a new mount.

We cycled the suspension with no bump stops to check clearance. Found that a very minor part of the body required some trimming.

Everything looked good so we moved on to the frame. Pretty simple here just keep cutting until everything clears. The harder part was making the plate to fit the hole.

Check clearance.

We added a few weld gussets to make sure that there would be no failure in the future.

A few more shots from when we finished. With stock flares.

After our flares were installed.

Let me know if you need any more information. We also have all of these drawings saved so if you are interested in completing this yourself we can get you all of the parts we used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I'll be doing this next year.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Fourplyn, I was checking out your rig and thinking hijacking your post to ask about this.

I was reading the thread nemesis made and does he mean their using stock wheels without spacers? Doesn't seem like that would even be possible. Either way, I'm definitely going for it. While my 37s are wearing I still need to get RCVs, Hydro, and new BL wheels.

LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice pic's keep m coming
post #7 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSteve View Post
Fourplyn, I was checking out your rig and thinking hijacking your post to ask about this.

I was reading the thread nemesis made and does he mean their using stock wheels without spacers? Doesn't seem like that would even be possible. Either way, I'm definitely going for it. While my 37s are wearing I still need to get RCVs, Hydro, and new BL wheels.
I believe he has spacers, but I could be wrong..

RCV's..why? Carry a spare set of front axles...and see how far your stock ones get you. I'm running stock axles. I'm just not going to drive like I stole it out on the trail

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

You are right there are 1 1/4" spacers behind the wheels. The stock wheels are a 6" offset this would mean you are looking at the modifications for a 4 3/4" backspaced wheel. We have a project in the shop right now that has a 3 1/2" lift, 3 1/2" backspaced wheel with a 40 x 14.5 tire on it and it looks like it will require the work on the front end and very little frame modification if any. We are working on finishing this kit, we are looking to have it available around Christmas.

Sorry for the confusion in the other thread.

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

Follow us on
post #9 of 12 Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
You are right there are 1 1/4" spacers behind the wheels. The stock wheels are a 6" offset this would mean you are looking at the modifications for a 4 3/4" backspaced wheel. We have a project in the shop right now that has a 3 1/2" lift, 3 1/2" backspaced wheel with a 40 x 14.5 tire on it and it looks like it will require the work on the front end and very little frame modification if any. We are working on finishing this kit, we are looking to have it available around Christmas.

Are those 40 x 14.50 tires on 16x7 rubi wheels???

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #10 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
Are those 40 x 14.50 tires on 16x7 rubi wheels???
Not on the Red JK, I was refering to the tires and weels on another project we are working on.

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

Follow us on
post #11 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Not on the Red JK, I was refering to the tires and weels on another project we are working on.
Gotcha, for a second there I was shaking my head going WTF... Nice work though, really nice rig.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #12 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:

HEY! do I get a free kit for being the first to ask/suggest a kit in the original thread those pics came from ?

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in