Getting ready to order suspension. Set up advice and opinions wanted. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Central Washington
Posts: 303
Feedback: 0 reviews
Getting ready to order suspension. Set up advice and opinions wanted.

Ok, so here is what I have decided so far:

Old Man Emu heavy front springs and extra heavy rears, should end up 2.5 to 3" over stock. I can use spacers to level it if needed.

Fox remote reservoir shocks with compression adjusters front and rear. I have to decide if I should buy the terraflex set, or the ones poly has, or just the alacart fox shocks from quadratec.

Fox steering stabilizer with the poly relocate kit. I have not had a steering stabilizer that worked in a year. It will be nice to slow down the bump steer again.

What I can't decide is what track bar to get, if I will need control arms, and what other stuff will surface when it is all together.

Opinions? Advice?

I use the Rubicon unlimited for fire roads, dirt roads, deep snow, and road trips. I don't usually crawl rocks, but I do cross a lot of obstacles and ditches witch it works fine for stock. I want to improve how it handles higher speed rough roads. My commute is 22 miles of 2 track forest service roads when I drive the Jeep, or 80 miles of paved highway up and down 2 canyons when I ride my Ducati. The Rubicon is either towing a small trailer on a trip, or being driven on rough dirt roads.
DesertJK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Rock God
 
wsoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zephyrhills,FL
Posts: 519
Garage
Feedback: 12 reviews

You have quite a few options on trac bars JKS,Rock Krawler make great choices and as for the control arms front lowers would help to get your camber back and if you have a 2door rears will be in order. Just wondering why your not buying a complete 2.5" kit?

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OR CALL 813.361.0869

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wsoffroad is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 459
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
and as for the control arms front lowers would help to get your camber back
Caster, not camber. But yes, with HD coils, you will be over 3", and correcting the caster would be a very good idea. (add a spacer on top, and you will definitely want a set of adj ca's)

If you have an auto, you will want to watch the boot and rzeppa on the front driveshaft. The rear shaft should be fine since you have a 4door. Consider adding front bumpstops with the lift (they go inside the coils, so if you add later, you will have to rip it all apart a second time) Longer brake lines or extension brackets. Longer links or adjustables or disconnects. Gears for the bigger tires. A programmer/tuner to adjust for the gears and tires. etc...
GreenJK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Central Washington
Posts: 303
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsoffroad View Post
You have quite a few options on trac bars JKS,Rock Krawler make great choices and as for the control arms front lowers would help to get your camber back and if you have a 2door rears will be in order. Just wondering why your not buying a complete 2.5" kit?
I probably should get a 2.5 kit but carry quite a bit of gear, and often am either towing my small camper, or a utility trailer full of wood or rocks on dirt roads. I had good luck with the OME springs on my Rover, so I though I wold use them on my Jeep. Maybe I will just call up Poly P. and order what they suggest. I usually like what they have to say on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
Caster, not camber. But yes, with HD coils, you will be over 3", and correcting the caster would be a very good idea. (add a spacer on top, and you will definitely want a set of adj ca's)

If you have an auto, you will want to watch the boot and rzeppa on the front driveshaft. The rear shaft should be fine since you have a 4door. Consider adding front bumpstops with the lift (they go inside the coils, so if you add later, you will have to rip it all apart a second time) Longer brake lines or extension brackets. Longer links or adjustables or disconnects. Gears for the bigger tires. A programmer/tuner to adjust for the gears and tires. etc...
I figured they HD's would be just under 3", since they state they are 2.5" over stock. I will do the brake lines, forgot about the links. It's a Rubicon so it already has 4.1 gears, I am not going with 35's until one more set of close to stock size tires. I am just about to replace the original MT's with 33" AT's or snow tires. I have Superchips, and intake (no deep water here) and muffler. The new Ripp kit is going on in the next 6 months, or as soon as I can sell an extra 1995 Land Rover Discovery I ended up with, it should get me about what I need for the Ripp kit. A 1987 BMW K100 is paying for the suspension.
DesertJK is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!
 
PIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SLO, CA
Posts: 2,718
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
Ok, so here is what I have decided so far:

Old Man Emu heavy front springs and extra heavy rears, should end up 2.5 to 3" over stock. I can use spacers to level it if needed.

Fox remote reservoir shocks with compression adjusters front and rear. I have to decide if I should buy the terraflex set, or the ones poly has, or just the alacart fox shocks from quadratec.

Fox steering stabilizer with the poly relocate kit. I have not had a steering stabilizer that worked in a year. It will be nice to slow down the bump steer again.

What I can't decide is what track bar to get, if I will need control arms, and what other stuff will surface when it is all together.

Opinions? Advice?

I use the Rubicon unlimited for fire roads, dirt roads, deep snow, and road trips. I don't usually crawl rocks, but I do cross a lot of obstacles and ditches witch it works fine for stock. I want to improve how it handles higher speed rough roads. My commute is 22 miles of 2 track forest service roads when I drive the Jeep, or 80 miles of paved highway up and down 2 canyons when I ride my Ducati. The Rubicon is either towing a small trailer on a trip, or being driven on rough dirt roads.
OK, lets back up here a sec... What size tire are you trying to run?

EDIT: nevermind... read down further that you want 35's.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PIG is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!
 
PIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SLO, CA
Posts: 2,718
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
Maybe I will just call up Poly P. and order what they suggest. I usually like what they have to say on the forum.
Sounds like the right route to take. Give me a call Monday and I can help you out.

Dave
x203


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PIG is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Central Washington
Posts: 303
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
OK, lets back up here a sec... What size tire are you trying to run?

EDIT: nevermind... read down further that you want 35's.
I will eventually go with 35's, maybe. I really like how my Jeep handles on forest roads. I do not have a need with this rig to do a lot of hard obstacles or rock piles. I guess I am hesitant to jump into big tires because I use it to tow, and take long expedition style trips in it. I also end up driving a lot of snow and ice.
On the other hand, I have not seen a lot of tires in a 33 that I really like. Damn, I am confused now. I really just need to get another rig to tow my camper and haul crap with and just let the Jeep be a Jeep without trying to make it do everything. I see a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with a small flatbed in my future. The second generation trucks have really came down in price. For now though, I have to figure out my JK suspension and tires since the MT's are almost gone, and one of my shocks is blown, steering stabilizer is blown, and I may need ball joints. Oh, and the stock springs are hammered. Washboard does wonders for breaking in a new truck. I think the 400 miles of dirt roads with my new camper in Wyoming and Idaho took the final toll of my stock suspension.
DesertJK is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 11:46 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!
 
PIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SLO, CA
Posts: 2,718
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
I will eventually go with 35's, maybe. I really like how my Jeep handles on forest roads. I do not have a need with this rig to do a lot of hard obstacles or rock piles. I guess I am hesitant to jump into big tires because I use it to tow, and take long expedition style trips in it. I also end up driving a lot of snow and ice.
On the other hand, I have not seen a lot of tires in a 33 that I really like. Damn, I am confused now. I really just need to get another rig to tow my camper and haul crap with and just let the Jeep be a Jeep without trying to make it do everything. I see a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with a small flatbed in my future. The second generation trucks have really came down in price. For now though, I have to figure out my JK suspension and tires since the MT's are almost gone, and one of my shocks is blown, steering stabilizer is blown, and I may need ball joints. Oh, and the stock springs are hammered. Washboard does wonders for breaking in a new truck. I think the 400 miles of dirt roads with my new camper in Wyoming and Idaho took the final toll of my stock suspension.
You need to figure out what size tire you want to go with NOW. All the complete kits we make are upgradable in performance and lift height. Just need to know where you want to be NOW. If you are looking to just keep peeling out on fire roads and not doing too much crawling now here is what I would recommend....

Synergy Starter Kit With Upgraded Synergy Monotube Shock Set
Inner Axle Sleeves & Gussets

That set up will get you started and allow you to upgrade later on with minimal cost.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PIG is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Central Washington
Posts: 303
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
You need to figure out what size tire you want to go with NOW. All the complete kits we make are upgradable in performance and lift height. Just need to know where you want to be NOW. If you are looking to just keep peeling out on fire roads and not doing too much crawling now here is what I would recommend....

Synergy Starter Kit With Upgraded Synergy Monotube Shock Set
Inner Axle Sleeves & Gussets

That set up will get you started and allow you to upgrade later on with minimal cost.
So if I go with 33's right now, I will have them on for 25k or so when they wear out. I like your stage one kit. I am thinking of ordering it but with upgraded shocks (fox with compression adjusters) and upgrading to better bump stops. Seems like that would give me the cushion I need when I nail a big rock or water diversion when driving too fast. Our terrain changes from forest, to desert canyon and back in the matter of miles, I want a set up to work well for both. Think Dakar truck more than rock crawler or pre-runner.
I will be calling. Hope I have the cash from the bike by middle of this week.
DesertJK is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 7
Feedback: 0 reviews

Hey! I have been doing a ton of shopping around, and i keep coming back to the old Man Emu system... I really like it, but I am worried about it a little... its a big purchase, and sometimes, and a one time deal. Once you get the suspension put on, will you post some pics, and let us know how it actually rides on and off road? along with some flex pics. Good luck, and happy wheeling.
romadbiff is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Central Washington
Posts: 303
Feedback: 0 reviews

I was considering the OME heavy stuff, but after talking to Pig, I will wait and see what Poly's springs rates are. I want stiffer, but then I don't want to make it too stiff. The more I think about it, the less I care how well it will tow my camper.
DesertJK is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
JKO Addict!
 
paramaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philly, PA
Age: 45
Posts: 5,049
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

The OME HD springs are very stiff. I ran them while I had the kargo master Kongo cage and ARB rooftop tent. Once I got rid of them the ride was awful. So if you're not carrying a real heavy load I would look elsewhere...


IMHO


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paramaniac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome