bent axels - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
bent axels

okay here is a serious question,which requires serious replies only!......PLEASE.!

I have seen on numerous threads that people with Dana 30's up front are bending their axels when running 35 inch tires. IS THIS TRUE????

I have a 2009 2 dr x and i am wanting to run 35's but since i have read numerous times then i dont relly want to bend or break an axle.

Living in florida i wont be doing any hard core rock crawling, just mudding,the beach, and trails. And of course jeep beach and jeeptober fest. So will my axle be fine with 35's or should i look at upgrading or what??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

been running 35's for 2 years have yet to bend a front axles and I hit the rocks whenever I can. I have broken both u joints, but that was due to the caps walking out. I've since remedied that situation. You'll be fine.

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
post #3 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

The tubes are more prone to twisting than actually bending, but I've seen a couple bend at the differential. It's a minority that will see this ever happen imo.

Much will depend on your driving style. If you like to 3-wheel and slam wheels to the ground, then any axle (and it's components) will be more subject to failure. If you avoid the skinny and wheel with finesse in most situations, then you should be okay. I feel that with a D30, that your real "weak-link" is your ring & pinion.....but again, a lot depends on your style of driving.

I wouldn't worry as much about the tubes as I would about the outer C's. These are much more prone to bending with 35"+ tires and the off-set of some aftermarket wheels. I would no matter what- gusset the C's, and if you are concerned then you can always add a sleeve kit and/or truss.

JMO

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

x2 - I just sleeved and gussets mine for piece of mind. THe minor expense is worth it ($250 - 300).

Joe -
-
-
-
post #5 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

2 JKs in my club bent the tubes on their D30s this spring during the same run at Pismo. They were not jumping or getting the front axle off the ground. I believe they bent their tubes while going through whoops or hitting the base of a dune hard enough to hit the bumpstops.

Although D30s seem adequately able to handle 35s in some circumstances, I do not believe they hold up well to high-speed off-road driving.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 PM
JKO Addict!

The tire size has little to do with bending, what you do because you are running a tire size is what bends them

Like mentioned before, the C's are an item to pay attention to first.

if you are carefull off-road you can make anything live for a while, if you drive by braile then gusst/sleeve/truss like I did.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I wouldn't worry as much about the tubes as I would about the outer C's. These are much more prone to bending with 35"+ tires and the off-set of some aftermarket wheels. I would no matter what- gusset the C's, and if you are concerned then you can always add a sleeve kit and/or truss.

JMO
I would disagree.... I have seen WAY more issues with the tubes bending than inner C's.

Bubba, here are 2 links that should help you out.

Inner Axle Sleeves
C Gussets

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #8 of 11 Old 08-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to oneleggedsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
if you drive by braile
best analogy ever.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
I would disagree.... I have seen WAY more issues with the tubes bending than inner C's.

Inner Axle Sleeves
C Gussets
And I have seen more bent C's than tubes. Not disagreeing with the expert.......just suggesting that gusseting the C's would be my personal priority with 35"+ tires and aftermarket rims.

I've seen several JK's with bent C's that haven't even wheeled that hard or that often (with tubes that don't appear to be bent in the least).

JMO

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #10 of 11 Old 08-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Garage

Are not the tubes and C's the same on the 30 and the 44??

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #11 of 11 Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post

Inner Axle Sleeves
C Gussets
I 2nd this..I have the tubes and upper/lower C Gussets on mine...from Poly...But I've done some other things as well..I also have a d44 rather than a D30...But I feel my comparison is about the same...

Your going 35's w/ a D30. I went 40's w/ a D44.

I'm pretty sure the housing is the only difference...the outer C's and Tube is the same with a D30 as a D44.

You can run some sort of a truss across the top of your axle, this will eliminate the smiley face bend some get with Axles
Attached Images

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode