What's the catch w/ Superchips tune? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
What's the catch w/ Superchips tune?

Upgraded to 35s Tuesday, knowing my auto Rubi would be a dog with them. Drove around for a day, and yeah, it was a dog.

Did the Superchips tire size change the following day to fix the speedometer. Also did the "87 Performance Tune".

Holy crap, what a difference it made! It accelerates so much better than it did with stock tires, and when I'm just maintaining speed, the RPMs seem a fair amount lower.

Is there some catch I'm missing? I mean, I really really enjoy driving my JK so much more now. There's got to be some trade-off for this??? I know I can potentially void my engine warranty with the dealer, but is there any physical damage this "Tune" could be causing? I can't imagine why Chrysler wouldn't send all JKs out the door tuned like this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

AFAIK, there's no catch. The first thing the tuner does is eliminate a lot of the sluggishness in the gas pedal. It also changes the transmission shift points so an auto trans will downshift quicker to get you into the engine's peak power band. Some improvements in the fuel/air mappings gives a little more hp. If you like the 87 tune, throw in a tankful of premium-grade gas and run the 93 Performance tune; you'll be hard pressed to go back to regular.

As for the lower RPM, that's simply a matter of physics. Larger tires cover more ground per revolution. So at any given speed, larger tires require less RPM than smaller tires. The other side of that equation is that, for a given weight, more horsepower is required to turn the larger tires.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #3 of 42 Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Granite Guru

I have done a lot of research the last few years on engine tuning. The generally available consumer tuning does not harm the engine. The main reason you notice a difference is the change in shift points. The second reason is that the tuning company has put the engine through a lot of mapping cycles to get the best performance for differing tire sizes and power bands. The stock tune is for the smaller tires and for a baseline performance. Manufacturers must stay within certain guidlines for emissions and mpg. I have often wondered why manufactures do not harness all that it can, but the basic cars do not. The higher end sports cars are generally tuned better, but still can be improved with add-on parts that the computer tune makes use of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Rock God

Dont swet the warranty, your tuner has the stock factory tune stored in it if you have to go in to the steelership for work inatall the stock tune they wont know what your up to( just take your tuner out of the glove box) them guys are sneekey the root around
post #5 of 42 Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
As for the lower RPM, that's simply a matter of physics. Larger tires cover more ground per revolution. So at any given speed, larger tires require less RPM than smaller tires. The other side of that equation is that, for a given weight, more horsepower is required to turn the larger tires.
He's talking about after the tune, not after the tire change, right brat? I've heard this before Greenamphibious noticed the same change in rpm after the tune. IDK... The only thing I can figure is either there was more torque converter slippage before the tune OR it's an optical illusion because the speedometer was off and you weren't looking at rpm vs actual speed.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #6 of 42 Old 08-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
Dont swet the warranty, your tuner has the stock factory tune stored in it if you have to go in to the steelership for work inatall the stock tune they wont know what your up to( just take your tuner out of the glove box) them guys are sneekey the root around
Yup, unload that tune right away and take it to the dealership. If they care, that'll tip off a lot of things they'll know you had a programmer installed. (Key cycles)

2010 - Unlimited Sport, Hella 500's on the windsheild. Hey it's a start!
1988 - Suzuki Samurai with a VW 1.6 turbo diesel, twin cases, SOA lift, YJ springs, onboard welder, and more
1999 - Dodge Ram 2500 cummins 4x4, 35's, 3" lift, 462rwhp "The tow truck"

Hers:
2005 - Jeep Liberty CRD. APS converter, transgo shift kit, glasspack muffler, Diablo Power puck 27+ mpg
post #7 of 42 Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Granite Guru

I spoke with the dealer (service manager} when i first bought my jeep and he actually set my computer after i got my 35"s He could only set it to the tallest tire he had in the dealer computer ,and that made a unbelievable change and he has no problem w a superchips or other brand tunesr.I cant wait to save some cash and get the whole package!!!!I went from a stock unlimited tire to a 35" and the sluggsihness and shifting suck but just w the dealer tune made it like i was driving a new jeep.Has anyone else had any luck w the dealer like this or do i just have a great dealership!!!!??,Just as a step to getting the aftermarket tuner.Now that i think about it it may not be a big difference going from a Rubicon tire size but from such a small unlimited tire to a 35" tire the tune they did was like driving a whole new Jeep
post #8 of 42 Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
He's talking about after the tune, not after the tire change, right brat?
Yeah, like on my way to work, after I get up to speed (45mph) and am just cruising down the road, the RPMs seem to settle noticeably lower than with stock tires/factory tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dola12 View Post
anyone else had any luck w the dealer like this or do i just have a great dealership!!!!??,
I found a local dealer with what seems to be a very cool service manager, but it's an hour away (one direction). Figures.

Quote:
Now that i think about it it may not be a big difference going from a Rubicon tire size but from such a small unlimited tire to a 35" tire the tune they did was like driving a whole new Jeep
How big are the stock tires on the X? I thought they were 32" for both the Saraha and the Rubicon, I didn't think the X was too much smaller?
post #9 of 42 Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
How big are the stock tires on the X? I thought they were 32" for both the Saraha and the Rubicon, I didn't think the X was too much smaller?
The steel wheel models are 225/75r16 (29.3) and the alloy models are 245/75r16 (30.5)

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #10 of 42 Old 08-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
The steel wheel models are 225/75r16 (29.3) and the alloy models are 245/75r16 (30.5)
My X came with the S package and 255/75R17s on Moab rims!
post #11 of 42 Old 08-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Wheeler

Who's got the best price on the superchips programmer. I'm interested.... and want to find out more about it.

Currently own:
2010 JK Unlimited Sport (2" BB - that's all for now)
2008 Liberty Limited (stock -wife's)

Used to own:
2007 Nissan Xterra (stock)
2003 TJ Sahara (stock)
2002 Liberty Limited (stock)
2000 XJ Classic (Far from Stock)
post #12 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
Who's got the best price on the superchips programmer. I'm interested.... and want to find out more about it.
$339 is about the going price. Sometimes you can find them on special for $299. Watch the for sale forum, one or two used units come up for sale every month. Just make sure the seller has returned their vehicle to stock or you'll have to pay $100 for a VIN unlock.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #13 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Wheeler

Is it possible to buy one that I could use for my JK and my wife's liberty?

My mistake. I looked and saw they don't offer a programmer for the liberty...

Currently own:

Used to own:
2003 TJ Sahara (stock)

Last edited by emtgreg; 08-29-2010 at 06:53 AM.
post #14 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

It looks like once you make a change to a vehicle, that programmer is locked to that vehicle until you undo that change. So no real way of doing multiple vehicles with one.
post #15 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Just bought mine from 4wheelparts 314 shipped to my door
post #16 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindean View Post
Just bought mine from 4wheelparts $314 shipped to my door
so far I am running the 91 octane tune I am a little confused though thought I could lock both my lockers in 4 hi bu you can only do one or the other. Also the tpms I can only get it to go to 26 psi not disable
post #17 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Wheeler

As previously mentioned, I am very intrigued by the superchips product. I've always read or heard about how you can 'chip' your vehicle to get better performance. I will add this product to my wishlist. I have one more question I was hoping could be answered....

I bought my '10 JK unlimited sport (automatic) almost 4 weeks ago. I'm not sure how soon I will got to 33 or 35" tires. It may not be until the stock tires need replacing and since I do about 30k miles a year, it may be as soon as a year from now.

My question:
Will the superchips programmer be beneficial even with the stock 32" goodyears to get better mpg, and performance?

Thanks for any input.

PS - I love being in the jeep community again. I love my JK and find reasons just to go drive it...

Currently own:

Used to own:
2003 TJ Sahara (stock)
post #18 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
My question:
Will the superchips programmer be beneficial even with the stock 32" goodyears to get better mpg, and performance?

Thanks for any input.
yes
post #19 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindean View Post
so far I am running the 91 octane tune I am a little confused though thought I could lock both my lockers in 4 hi bu you can only do one or the other. Also the tpms I can only get it to go to 26 psi not disable
You can only lock in 1 axel at a time. Now that you have locked your Superchip programmer to your jeep, go do an update on it and you can get an "offroad only" download to disable the TPMS altogether. The programmer just needs to be locked in to a specific vehicle first.
post #20 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernmedic View Post
You can only lock in 1 axel at a time. Now that you have locked your Superchip programmer to your jeep, go do an update on it and you can get an "offroad only" download to disable the TPMS altogether. The programmer just needs to be locked in to a specific vehicle first.
I was wondering about that too. Thanks for the info about the TPMS.

So once I download the special offroad only package, if I unlock the programmer, do I loose the ability to use the download, or is it permanent?
post #21 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I don't understand the "unlocking the programmer" part. Is that just if you want the ability to make custom engine tunes vs. just being able to choose from one of their pre-programmed "performance tunes"?
post #22 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dola12 View Post
I spoke with the dealer (service manager} when i first bought my jeep and he actually set my computer after i got my 35"s He could only set it to the tallest tire he had in the dealer computer ,and that made a unbelievable change and he has no problem w a superchips or other brand tunesr.I cant wait to save some cash and get the whole package!!!!I went from a stock unlimited tire to a 35" and the sluggsihness and shifting suck but just w the dealer tune made it like i was driving a new jeep.Has anyone else had any luck w the dealer like this or do i just have a great dealership!!!!??,Just as a step to getting the aftermarket tuner.Now that i think about it it may not be a big difference going from a Rubicon tire size but from such a small unlimited tire to a 35" tire the tune they did was like driving a whole new Jeep
Last I had heard the largest tire size the dealer could change to is the stock 32" tire size that comes standard on the Rubicon, the Sahara (18" wheels), and the X/Sport with the 17" Moab wheel package.

If you had the base base X/Sport tire size (16" steel wheels, 29" tires) then you would certainly see some improvement with the 32" tune while running 35's, but you may have much more left to gain with an aftermarket tuner such as the Superchips.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #23 of 42 Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Granite Guru

anyone have $ 300 or so i can have to complete the upgrade to get to my 35" tune the dealer got me to 32" tire from 29" and I pretty happy w that I cant wait to get the tuner to complete the tire upgrade !!! anyone? anyone?
post #24 of 42 Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Wheeler

My $0.02 is the Superchips programmer is awesome. I bought it to program the 'towing' tune for a trip to Florida (on stock tires), trip went smooth and ended up getting 14mpg towing an enclosed 3000lb trailer. When we got back I threw on the lift and 35''s, reprogrammed the tire size and 87 octane performance tune and it's definitely tolerable. I was worried the Superchips wouldn't help my performance enough on 35's without re-gearing...but it definitely makes a noticeable difference! TOTALLY worth the $340 I spent on it.

Glad I jumped on this thread, I was wondering why I couldn't turn off my TPMS, gonna do the update tonight.

What? Sorry, I can't pay attention...I need to pay for a bunch of Jeep stuff first.
post #25 of 42 Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So i bit the bullet and picked up a Superchips Flash Pack from 4wheelparts in my area (on sale for $315). I ran the updates and reset the PCM for my new tire size and plugged in the 87octane tune and was very impressed in the immediate performance difference.

I'll be collecting data over the next 2 weeks concerning fuel efficiency and report back.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in