Best lift kit for a JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Best lift kit for a JK

I've got an 07 stock JK that I'm ready to start modifyng. I want to lift it but I do a lot of freeway time on it and I son't want to go over 3.5". Any recommendations on what you think is the best lift kit for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 04:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

What size tire are you thinking of running and is yours a 2 door or a 4 door?

RK
post #3 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

It's a 4dr. I think i'll prob end up with 33's with a pretty big offset on it. I'd like to run 35's but i think my mpg will be screwed. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to LS6TT

tagged for answers, have the same questions
post #5 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

Just go straight to the 35's. Its all your going to think about if you go with 33's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Granite Guru

I totally agree on the 35's. I have a 3.25" Rough Country lift and Mickey Thompson 35's, and I love it. It rides nice. I don't really notice a huge difference in gas mileage. It was bad before, and it's still bad.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10x1000 View Post
Just go straight to the 35's. Its all your going to think about if you go with 33's
Definitally 35s. 33s look tiny on a 4-door, and really are not much of an improvement over the stock tire size. 3.5" of lift is way overkill to run 33s on a JK; thats what people do to run 33s on a TJ/YJ. Get 35s, you will regret wasting your money on 33s.

A small 2.5"-3.5" lift to run 35s will be cheap, easy to install, and maintain good road manners.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Great info! 35's it is...

Any other recomendations on a brand of lift kit? I was thinking RUbicon express but haven't pulled the trigger yet
post #9 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

There are many great kits / manufacturer's Poly Performance, Rock Krawler, Old Man Emu seem to be all good systems. Maybe check with guys who wheel where / how you plan to run your rig.

On teh 33's / 35's If you keep your stockers and a set of 35's you can swap to the 32's for when you are a month or more between offroad adventures. I run about 4000 miles a month and swap between 35's and a craigslist set of rubi take off's.
The ride will be better, milage will be a little better(if 16 vs 13 is better), and the 32's are often cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
Ok We need to organize a "Strippers and Blow Trail Run" It can raise money for college scholarships
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Raleigh Meet and Greet,
Check the thread ------------->
post #10 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Not going with 35's because of mileage can be solved. If you really want 35's then regearing and installing a programmer will get you close to solving those issues.

As for lift Rock Krawler kits are great on the street my wife drives ours(3.5 X-Factor with 37's) an hour and a half on the freeway 2-3 times a week and loves it. Now for a woman that drives an limited expedition half the time also to say that is a big statement.

You can read countless post on here where they went from this kit to that kit and vice versa. Point is figure out what you really want and get as close to that as your budget will allow. There is no sense spending money on a lift twice.

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

OR CALL 813.361.0869

post #11 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 10:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Poly Performance!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #12 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Best lift kit does not exist. Lots of excellent kits to choose from though.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Best lift kit does not exist. Lots of excellent kits to choose from though.
^that's so true. And I'm 100% onboard with the 35" tire thing. A 33" will look small on a 4D.

My advice on lift is this. Since you are just starting this process and are undecided - get a spacer lift. That will allow you to run the 35"s and will make your JK look great for very little cost. Then take lots of time and study what other guys are running and how they like the lift long term. Don't do what I (and many others) did and spend $$ on a lift and a year later change it to something else. If I had taken my time I could have saved myself the trouble and money. If you ever want to go extreme for suspension click the RK link below.

Good luck

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 08-28-2010 at 02:30 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Rock God

Poly there lifts are upgradeable your jeep can grow as you get bored with the 35s We went big 37s and a 5.5 long arm love it handles better than stosk 75 on the freeway no problems do it one time go big and save $
post #15 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Wheeler

i'm putting together my lift from assorted manufactures. proper alignment and everyday driveabity is important to me. the tire size i will using is 35" with
17" /3.5" offset rims.

the concept is not for max lift, but min. lift yet get good articulation. the
over all lift will be only 2"-2.5". high clearence fenders and minor body mods are anticipated to prevent tire rub. my intention is to use adjustable coil spring perches (stock springs) on all four corners and the rear lower axle. spring retainers will also be used. for the control arms upper/lowers, track bars i'm using adjustable jks. the rear axle controll arm mounts will be reinforced/strengthen by posion spyder rear skids and a jks trailing arm reinforcement bracket. for the front i'm picking up a dynotrack prorock 44 housing and transfer my stock rubicon internals. will use 4.88 gears since the jeep is a standard 2 door. i haven't decided what shocks i will use. this is an expensive route since it takes a while to collect all the parts (i'm about halfway there). but i figure it will be worth the time and $ in the long term. it also worth it to get everything done at once so clearance and articulation can be checked. there are some ther bits and pieces for the steering, but i haven't thought that out yet.

some of the parts can be found here
http://www.jksmfg.com/

Last edited by ottoride; 08-28-2010 at 09:29 AM.
post #16 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

go with Rock Krawler, they make the best stuff and their systems ride excellent on the road....

no jeep here...
post #17 of 27 Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 AM
Wheeler

Old Man Emu has been a great 2.5 ( really 3" lift ). I went with the 295 70 17 on my ride. I would say that is the max that you could go without re gearing or really seeing a drop in the power of your Jeep. Look around here on the different threads about the lack of power this ride has and that his greatly magnified by bigger tires (requiring the re gearing) The tires I have are also a great on / off road tire as well Nitto Trail Grapplers. I posted some photos on another thread of my Jeep with the OME lift and the 33.5' s https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32269&page=2

Last edited by whstlrryder; 08-30-2010 at 03:49 AM.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspence View Post
Great info! 35's it is...

Any other recomendations on a brand of lift kit? I was thinking RUbicon express but haven't pulled the trigger yet
Well, as already mentioned, there is NO perfect lift out there.

Since you spend a bunch of time on the road, as most of us do with our daily driver JK's, try to find local guys that you can go for a ride with...before you order yours up.

That is the best thing you can do. There's nothing worse than spending money on these rigs only to find out you don't like the performance...and than throw more money at it to make it better.

Money: how much to put into you rig once you buy your tires, wheels or wheel spacers.

4 door auto trans? make sure to put funds asside for a front driveshaft if you plan to wheel the truck.

I currently run a 2.5" Terraflex coil/ shock kit. The ride is OK, but not like stock handling. flighty over 40mph. Lower control arms will help with some of that.

The AEV kits are a love/hate setup here. I did get to drive this kit with a set of 35" Toyo MT's, and it handles very nice!!! better than my 2.5" kit does.
The Premium kit with the high steer is all you need with the pruchase of a front drivesahaft. That will get you up on 35's with great road manners and comes with the ProCal to adjust for your tire size.

I go tto help put the 4.5" kit on last weekend. It went together nicely. The 3.5" kit sounds like it may be a good option for you.

Good luck on your build.

2016 JKU
post #19 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 AM

ok---Here is my 4dr no lift on 33's....where to go from here as 35's are not in my future....Joe

post #20 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 AM
JKowners Vendor

All of these guys have given you great advice. A 2.5" or 3.5" system will be great for you! Now you just have to figure out what features and price range you want to be in to choose the best lift for you!

Rock Krawler
post #21 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Rock God

Don't forget about Teraflex!

Buy *made in
. . .. While you still can.
post #22 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxfiles View Post
ok---Here is my 4dr no lift on 33's....where to go from here as 35's are not in my future....Joe

DIY Fender chop and Teraflex Budget Boost did it for me, still on 33's
Attached Images

Poison Spyder BFH w/ TRail Stinger,Teraflex Budget Boost,Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers,Warn M8000,AEM Cold Air Intake,DIY Fender chop
Pro Comp Wheels
Pro Comp Extreme All Terrain tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaxim View Post
I won't even SQUINT, WHICH IS SAD WHEN I'm F-ING ASIAN!
post #23 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

Greenft, how do you like the 33's with no boost. Does drivability suffer at all? Are you sure thos are both the same jeep?
post #24 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM

actually that is my jeep with the 33's and no boost...drives great...no rub when turning at all...joe
post #25 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Rated View Post
4 door auto trans? make sure to put funds asside for a front driveshaft if you plan to wheel the truck.
Can you elaborate on this? I have an Automatic & am planning my lift to clear 35's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode