Atlas 4 ratio - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
TurbineGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 49
Posts: 160
Feedback: 0 reviews
Atlas 4 ratio

I have a 2012 JKU, 6-speed, 4.88, pr44 front, Currie 60 rear, 38" MTRs.

Live in Idaho. We have plenty of rocks.

I just trashed my rubi transfer case. I've decided to upgrade to a Atlas-4.

I'm currently town between

2.0, 2.72, 5.44 ratio or

2.72, 3.8, 10.34

Does anyone have a 5.44 and wish they had gone lower?

Is the 10.34 too low. I worry the brakes won't handle it.

Also, how is the shifter install look after with ASs kit.
TurbineGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 08:57 PM
Granite Guru
 
Mark915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Gonzales ca
Age: 48
Posts: 120
Feedback: 0 reviews

I don't have atlas but I do have a rubicrawler so I have 2:72-1 and 7:2-1 it's in a auto its a little on the low side witch is nice but it seems like I'm always looking for something in between 2:72 and 7:20 I think somewhere in the 5s would be good. I almost have to two foot the brakes in 7:20 I mostly play on the rocks
Mark915 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 912
Feedback: 0 reviews

It's very much an opinion thing, but personally there's no question I'd go with 2.72-3.8-10.34

You of course want the middle number for general trail use.

2.72 is great for things where you want low gear. 2.0 is really excessively low numeric gearing, you could just be in 4hi.

3.8 is perfect for general trail use with 4.88 gears on 38's. 5.44 is getting numerically too high and at least for me would be really annoying for general trail use. 2.72 is too low numeric gearing for a lot of more technical crawling.

10.34 would be really cool to have, very rare you'd use it but great for extremely slow crawls, and especially deep snow if you do that. Brakes would indeed struggle with it, probably want bigger than stock brakes, but really you're not using this gear much at all, and in a lot of it's crawling applications you're not really trying to stop much at all, just keep the wheels turning constantly very slowly. You'd have to be very careful with this gear, tap the gas in a bind and flip a coin on what will snap.


Basically, I see 2.0-2.72-5.44 as a really awkward set of gears where none of them are particularly useful. 2.72-3.8-10.34 on the other hand has every gear being very useful in certain situations.


Unrelated, I'm curious, how'd you wreck the stock case? Did you blow it up on the highway? That's about the only failure mode I've heard of

Last edited by christensent; 05-25-2017 at 09:09 PM.
christensent is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 05-27-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
TurbineGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 49
Posts: 160
Feedback: 0 reviews

I knocked a hole in it on the trail. Time to invest is better skids I guess.


I ended up ordering the 5.44 option after talking to Advanced Adapters.


The 2 and 2.72 will be useful for trails... getting to the Rocks.

3.8 would of been too high... I wanted lower than 4.1.

5.44 should be great on the rocks with my 6-speed.

10.34 would of just ended up breaking shit.

Rory





Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
It's very much an opinion thing, but personally there's no question I'd go with 2.72-3.8-10.34

You of course want the middle number for general trail use.

2.72 is great for things where you want low gear. 2.0 is really excessively low numeric gearing, you could just be in 4hi.

3.8 is perfect for general trail use with 4.88 gears on 38's. 5.44 is getting numerically too high and at least for me would be really annoying for general trail use. 2.72 is too low numeric gearing for a lot of more technical crawling.

10.34 would be really cool to have, very rare you'd use it but great for extremely slow crawls, and especially deep snow if you do that. Brakes would indeed struggle with it, probably want bigger than stock brakes, but really you're not using this gear much at all, and in a lot of it's crawling applications you're not really trying to stop much at all, just keep the wheels turning constantly very slowly. You'd have to be very careful with this gear, tap the gas in a bind and flip a coin on what will snap.


Basically, I see 2.0-2.72-5.44 as a really awkward set of gears where none of them are particularly useful. 2.72-3.8-10.34 on the other hand has every gear being very useful in certain situations.


Unrelated, I'm curious, how'd you wreck the stock case? Did you blow it up on the highway? That's about the only failure mode I've heard of
TurbineGuy is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 39
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineGuy View Post
I knocked a hole in it on the trail. Time to invest is better skids I guess.





I ended up ordering the 5.44 option after talking to Advanced Adapters.





The 2 and 2.72 will be useful for trails... getting to the Rocks.



3.8 would of been too high... I wanted lower than 4.1.



5.44 should be great on the rocks with my 6-speed.



10.34 would of just ended up breaking shit.



Rory


I want to hear how the 2:1 is with the 6 speed. I'm really considering this case for the dunes.
SmashHole is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-27-2017, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!
 
thedirtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: southwest reno, nv
Age: 51
Posts: 4,343
Feedback: 0 reviews

I use the 3.8 most of the time and 2.72 for a bit faster run. The 10.3 gives massive traction but I don't use it much as it slow and tends to break stuff if you get into a bind. Although running 10.3 in second gear is roughly the 5.0

If I were to do it all over again I would likely go with the 2 speed with 5.0 to save the weight and have the longer front driveshaft for a bit more angle available.

I would also recommend running flanges instead of yokes at the transfer case as I have been breaking those when running 10.3

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thedirtman is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-27-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
TurbineGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 49
Posts: 160
Feedback: 0 reviews

I did think about the 2-speed case, but I do miss my 2.72 when my jeep was a plane old Sport. We have hundreds of miles of desert and mountain trails where 2 and/or 2.72 would be perfect.

Now I need to think about brake upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I use the 3.8 most of the time and 2.72 for a bit faster run. The 10.3 gives massive traction but I don't use it much as it slow and tends to break stuff if you get into a bind. Although running 10.3 in second gear is roughly the 5.0

If I were to do it all over again I would likely go with the 2 speed with 5.0 to save the weight and have the longer front driveshaft for a bit more angle available.

I would also recommend running flanges instead of yokes at the transfer case as I have been breaking those when running 10.3
TurbineGuy is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 05-28-2017, 09:58 AM
JKO Addict!
 
thedirtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: southwest reno, nv
Age: 51
Posts: 4,343
Feedback: 0 reviews

I understand your thinking but you have 6 gears to select from and unless you just run in 1st gear for everything. Shifting the transmission is easier and faster then shifting the TC. Shifting in a 5.0 will give you ratio's that are a very close match to a 2.0 or 2.72 in first. 5.0 in third is a 8.6 ratio vs a 2.0 in first at 8.92. 5.0 in second is 10.3 ratio vs 2.72 in first at 12.31 Once you get to 3rd gear in a 2.72 you are basically in 4 high 1st gear and with a 2.0 in second gear you are close to 4 high second. Finding a good spot for the third shifter can be a challenge too on a stock interior.

Right now for me the weight is the biggest issue, looking back I they and find things to keep a jeep light.

Anyway you are going to love the atlas and good luck with the install.
TurbineGuy likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thedirtman is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 05-29-2017, 10:01 PM
Newbie
 
resqdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 1
Feedback: 0 reviews

Completely agree. That's what I plan to get for the same reason.

A little lower than street gears for real off road trail running (when 2.73 is a little too low).

Lower than 4:1 for the knarly stuff.
resqdoc is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 AM
JKowners Vendor
 
Fusion 4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 444
Feedback: 0 reviews

The Hero 3 speed case is worth a hard look. We have not seen one adapted to a JK yet, but it should be possible. Much more logical set of ratios and seriously strong.

For what it is worth, we have brand new crate Rubicon t-cases in stock for $1450 shipped.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fusion 4x4 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 05-30-2017, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!
 
gt1guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Iberia, La.
Posts: 3,851
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4 View Post
The Hero 3 speed case is worth a hard look. We have not seen one adapted to a JK yet, but it should be possible. Much more logical set of ratios and seriously strong.

For what it is worth, we have brand new crate Rubicon t-cases in stock for $1450 shipped.
I picked up a Hero 3spd to go in with an LS swap. Went with 2.78 and 4.33. Haven't started the swap yet so I can't say how it fits but, I don't see it being much different than an 2spd Atlas. The 3spd Hero is actually .159" shorter than the 2spd Hero.

Kevin
gt1guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome