4Likes
  • 2 Post By TRD
  • 1 Post By evdog
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-15-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

coilover valving

Looking at putting coilovers in the front of my jkur. Was looking on a site that sells king coilovers, going thru the options I noticed they had a valving section. One for mud, rock, desert, heavy duty, ect. So I guess my question if you rock crawl and drive forest service roads at a decent speed what type of valving woukd you use the rock crawl or dessert valving ? Or how is the ride with these different valving

Any input would be great

Thanks

VE7 ESH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Rock God

'desert' would describe driving sand whoops at 60mph+, so not that.

Ultimately, this selection just guides a very rough approximation. If you really want to get the most out of your coilovers, you'll have to experimentally tune them to what you want them to do.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Best thing you can do is call and talk to them. Or give Ryan at TRD a call.

You want someone that knows what they're doing to get you in the ballpark to begin with. Then you're either going to learn how to dial them in yourself, or pay for tuning sessions.

Checking a box on a website doesn't even begin to give them the information they need to set up a set of coilovers for you.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 AM
JKO Addict!

sounds like you were looking at filthy motorsports site. Give them a call and talk to them as they will need some more info for coil sizing. Rock crawling valving should be good for you and will give you a good ride on the road as it will be on the softer side where desert valving is going to be stiff on the compression and light on the rebound. Low speed driving on dessert valving is kinda rough.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-16-2017, 09:42 AM
TRD
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Best thing you can do is call and talk to them. Or give Ryan at TRD a call.

You want someone that knows what they're doing to get you in the ballpark to begin with. Then you're either going to learn how to dial them in yourself, or pay for tuning sessions.

Checking a box on a website doesn't even begin to give them the information they need to set up a set of coilovers for you.
Thank you.

What I've seen with most King shocks is that the valving is all the same no matter what vehicle you have or what you're doing with it. Basically King has one primary "solid axle" tune their dealers sell whether you have a cj/yj/tj/jku and whether you're going fast or crawling.

Everything we do is 100% custom to your vehicle based on numbers so it's extremely accurate and completely customized to your vehicle and terrain. We model your Jeep in a program and build the perfect damping curve that makes your rig react the way we want in different terrain. In addition we use new tuning techniques which result in a smoother ride. You can check out our results by searching for AccuTune on pirate.
tapcola and cody48 like this.

-Ryan @

424-377-0808
Pre-Tuned
&
Shocks

Coilovers, IBP's, Bypasses & Adjustable Shocks In Stock
post #6 of 12 Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the response . I figured I wouldnt get it dialed in right away but close enough to a starting point.

Will look that up TRD thanks again
TRD likes this.

VE7 ESH
post #7 of 12 Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Start by getting some good sprung corner weights.
TRD likes this.

Some build info here:

post #8 of 12 Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

What's the best way to do that. I hit the scales weighed the front end . Then deducted what I could find for weight of tires rims and axle . Came up with a corner weight of 1241.5 lbs so that's my starting point. I've punched it into the calculator and ask a few suppliers and been told I need a 250/300 spring rate

VE7 ESH
post #9 of 12 Old 05-16-2017, 08:30 PM
TRD
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdog View Post
What's the best way to do that. I hit the scales weighed the front end . Then deducted what I could find for weight of tires rims and axle . Came up with a corner weight of 1241.5 lbs so that's my starting point. I've punched it into the calculator and ask a few suppliers and been told I need a 250/300 spring rate
That seems high, but it really depends on your mods.

Front and rear weights are a good start, I suspect your unsprung weights are too light.

Spring rate depends on:
Corner Sprung Weight
Front or Rear
Up Travel
Total Travel
Shock Mounting Angles

I think most people are over-springing JK's and incorrectly valving them.

-Ryan @

424-377-0808
Pre-Tuned
&
Shocks

Coilovers, IBP's, Bypasses & Adjustable Shocks In Stock
post #10 of 12 Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 PM
JKO Addict!

I would agree most run too much of a rate but you may want higher for high speed and lower rates for crawling and ride comfort.

Personally I have a set of scales and you might find a good shop that has a set and can get a more accurate weight. Your up/down ratio at ride height is something needed so you can set the ride height correctly

Some build info here:

post #11 of 12 Old 05-16-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks once again guys really helpful.

Ryan I will be sending you a email in the next day or so.

VE7 ESH
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Granite Guru

2nd what they all said.. !

Float like a Cadillac Sting like a Bimmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode