Got my wheels and tires, now too choose the lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-15-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Got my wheels and tires, now too choose the lift

Got my wheels and tires delivered today. Had to order from 4 Wheel Parts whine they were on sale. Went with ProComp 8101 in 17x9 with BFG AT in 315/70r17 (basically a 35x12.50).

Now I have to choose a lift kit. I was first leaning toward the Rough Rounty 3.5" kit that cones with front lower control arms, because it's inexpensive asy $500 and has great reviews, but I've also heard of people complaining of spring sag with it. Next, I started looking hard at the the RK 3.5" flex kit, but damn it's expensive, plus I have to add my own shocks and bump stops.

What other options should I look at in 2.5-3.5" kit for around $1000 plus or minus a couple hundred. Would be ideal if it included shocks and bump stops. I understand that ill probably have to use exhaust spacers or a y pipe regardless, but I'd prefer to not replace my front drive shaft right away. I'm looking to get something with front lower control arms to correct the geometry for on road driving, otherwise I'd just go with a cheap budget boost.

So, Rubicon Express? Metal cloak? Terra Flex?

It's my daily driver and hunting rig with mild off road every month or so. Needs to be comfortable enough to run up and down the interstate, but capable enough off road to ride mild trails with some ground clearance for stream crossings and what not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Wheeler

Well Rockkrawler is 2300, metalcloaks is 2300 and teraflex is 750-3k.

I'm planning on going with the metalcloak for mine and we are pretty much using the rigs the same way.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-15-2017, 04:21 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Have you seen our package deals? Look at what you get for your money when you're comparing lifts from different companies. For the money RK is usually hard to beat. Every kit includes an adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects, and the 3.5" includes front and rear brake lines while most companies are leaving you to figure it out or run a drop bracket.

Here is our package deal for the 3.5 Flex System. The price includes shocks and you can add bump stops if you would like to. Everything is in stock and will ship the same day.

PACKAGE: Rock Krawler JKU 3.5 Flex System

Let me know if you have any questions!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Have you seen our package deals? Look at what you get for your money when you're comparing lifts from different companies. For the money RK is usually hard to beat. Every kit includes an adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects, and the 3.5" includes front and rear brake lines while most companies are leaving you to figure it out or run a drop bracket.

Here is our package deal for the 3.5 Flex System. The price includes shocks and you can add bump stops if you would like to. Everything is in stock and will ship the same day.

PACKAGE: Rock Krawler JKU 3.5 Flex System

Let me know if you have any questions!

Marcus
I hadn't seen those packages. Where are you located?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
Got my wheels and tires delivered today. Had to order from 4 Wheel Parts whine they were on sale. Went with ProComp 8101 in 17x9 with BFG AT in 315/70r17 (basically a 35x12.50).

Now I have to choose a lift kit. I was first leaning toward the Rough Rounty 3.5" kit that cones with front lower control arms, because it's inexpensive asy $500 and has great reviews, but I've also heard of people complaining of spring sag with it. Next, I started looking hard at the the RK 3.5" flex kit, but damn it's expensive, plus I have to add my own shocks and bump stops.

What other options should I look at in 2.5-3.5" kit for around $1000 plus or minus a couple hundred. Would be ideal if it included shocks and bump stops. I understand that ill probably have to use exhaust spacers or a y pipe regardless, but I'd prefer to not replace my front drive shaft right away. I'm looking to get something with front lower control arms to correct the geometry for on road driving, otherwise I'd just go with a cheap budget boost.

So, Rubicon Express? Metal cloak? Terra Flex?

It's my daily driver and hunting rig with mild off road every month or so. Needs to be comfortable enough to run up and down the interstate, but capable enough off road to ride mild trails with some ground clearance for stream crossings and what not.

For 35's and light wheeling, you would be fine with a 2.5" lift. At 2.5" you don't need an exhaust spacer. I recommend the AEV DualSport XT 2.5" lift for people wanting a good on-road ride with decent off-road capabilities. AEV really did their homework when designing their lifts, with a lot of people saying they ride better than stock on the road! The DualSport lift does include shocks and bumps, but no lower control arms. They aren't necessarily needed at 2.5" but I would recommend running their Geometry correction brackets for the front control arms. These will allow you to adjust caster to make sure it's right in spec. With the larger tires, you may also want to get a ProCal or tuner of some sort to correct your speedometer.

AEV DualSport XT 25

Geometry Correction Brackets

ProCal

Free shipping on all orders over $70
post #6 of 15 Old 05-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've got the Teraflex 2.5" suspension lift and I'm running 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3s. Looks pretty badass.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 AM
JKO Addict!

A simple 2" budget boost with shock extensions is enough for what you are after and at only a couple hundred bucks its not going to break the bank.
You don't need a full blown 3.5" kit to run around on the pavement or even run most trails. Rough country is cheap because it is made in china and is incomplete as far as components included. Most end up spending 2x more then the initial lift cost to fix the ride quality and performance.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 15 Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
I hadn't seen those packages. Where are you located?

I'm in Dripping Springs. Give me a shout if you want to talk about options! 832-526-2415

post #9 of 15 Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Got it all put together, alignment tomorrow. Ended up being a little more challenging than I expected, but I got it done.

Road manners are great, feels at least as good as stock, maybe a tiny bit stiffer, but handles bumps better for sure.

post #10 of 15 Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Got it all put together, alignment tomorrow. Ended up being a little more challenging than I expected, but I got it done.

Road manners are great, feels at least as good as stock, maybe a tiny bit stiffer, but handles bumps better for sure.

Looks good! What lift did you end up going with?

2016 JKU Sport with Manual Transmission
Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex System with Bilstein 5100's
Dynatrac Pro Rock Unlimited 44 FR Axle
Nitto 37" Trail Grapplers
Magnaflow Rock Crawler Exhaust
Yukon 4.88 Gears
ARB Air Lockers w/ARB onboard air
Warn VR10-S Winch
EVO Quarter Pounder Front Bumper
EVO Fascia Rear Bumper
EVO Boatside Bombers
ACE Stand Alone Carrier
Yeti XD Tie Rod and Drag Link
Currie Antirocks
Adams 1350 Solid Front & Rear DS
post #11 of 15 Old 05-22-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

RK 2.5" FLEX. The only complaint I had was the jam nuts on all the adjustable arms. A) How am I supposed to torque them to 200-300 foot pounds when there isn't a place for a second wrench? B) If I'm supposed to torque them on the vehicle, maybe try moving the position to a place where the nut isn't INSIDE the mounting bracket where no wrench will ever get to it.

Other than that, it's great. I torqued them the best I could on the bench. They are tight, but i doubt I hit 250 ftlbs. I'll have the alignment shop finish torquing them and add some lock tight tomorrow. My buddy works there and his old man owns the place, so I trust they'll do it right.

post #12 of 15 Old 05-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Wheeler

So your happy otherwise? How does it drive compared to the original setup?
post #13 of 15 Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Wheeler

I should have said what subtle differences are you seeing from the change any issues with tire grabbing after with highway driving or when you get into a grove in the highway?
post #14 of 15 Old 05-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
RK 2.5" FLEX. The only complaint I had was the jam nuts on all the adjustable arms. A) How am I supposed to torque them to 200-300 foot pounds when there isn't a place for a second wrench? B) If I'm supposed to torque them on the vehicle, maybe try moving the position to a place where the nut isn't INSIDE the mounting bracket where no wrench will ever get to it.

Other than that, it's great. I torqued them the best I could on the bench. They are tight, but i doubt I hit 250 ftlbs. I'll have the alignment shop finish torquing them and add some lock tight tomorrow. My buddy works there and his old man owns the place, so I trust they'll do it right.

I have seen severeal of our fellow members ( @Goodysgotacuda , @kjeeper10 ) fashion-up jigs to torque RK felx-arm jam nuts. KJeeper10's looked somethin like this , iirc ... . I know I saw a thread someplace else where he had made use of a handy crows-foot on a 1/2" ratchet to be able to access the frame-side jam nuts but don't have images of it. Maybe search this site for "jig" or "jam-nut on bench" or something.
Heck, KJeeper10 might chime in if we hang-in there a little while...

post #15 of 15 Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasspupil View Post
I should have said what subtle differences are you seeing from the change any issues with tire grabbing after with highway driving or when you get into a grove in the highway?
No issues at all so far, in fact I think it rides better, even with the alignment slightly out. The little bumps in the road feel smaller, no bump steer or wobble, a little more steering input/feedback, but I suspect that has more to do with 35" tires and alignment than the lift. No rub, even though my backspacing is slightly less than the recommended minimum. I'm really happy with it, just hate the jam nut issues I mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode