6L80 behind a Hemi - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-13-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
6L80 behind a Hemi

Hey Guys, just throwing this one out there. If the biggest issue regarding a Hemi swap is the transmission, why hasn't anyone fitted a 6L80 or like to the Hemi? As a Hemi owner, I'm aware that the 545RFE shifting can be " all over the joint like a mad womans shit" so what can be done about this?
If the biggest issue is "talking to the canbus" why hasn't this hurdle been jumped? Surly a tighter converter and a more progressive trans is the go?
Genuinely curious.....

Last edited by Rodjk; 05-13-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Granite Guru

The 6L80 does not have an external controller. From what I understand, the control parameters are set in the engine computer and internal TCM are closely tied together. The 4L and 8L have external controllers. That's probably why you see the 4L transmission placed behind almost anything. The 6L is also very sensitive to the tune... Tuned correctly it's an amazing trans, but incorrect tuning can cause catastrophic failure...

Somebody with more knowledge should probably weigh in, because I don't know too much about them...
post #3 of 3 Old 05-13-2017, 07:43 PM
JKowners Vendor

You are correct Randy, the 6l80 is a CAN driven transmission. The T43 controller in the 6l80 and 6l90 is married to the engine control module and dependent on it for it's operation. Everything from torque output to intake temperature is used by the transmission to function properly. Many attempts to run the 6l80 standalone are being made but so far what I have seen requires installing a Gen IV E38 to feed the signals into which then sends the proper CAN signals to the T43 so it can operate properly.

The 6l80 and now the 8l90 are one of the main reasons so many guys are going with the LS/LT engines​, so they can get these transmissions. It's not like the old days where you could take a 4-speed automatic and fit it behind any engine and operate it stand-alone, these CAN driven transmissions are slaved to an engine control module. I hear GM is going to release the 8-speed to be run behind the GM performance engines so that should be interesting the 8l90 does have an external TCM.

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode