3Likes
  • 1 Post By Biginboca
  • 1 Post By hieneken49
  • 1 Post By christensent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bent my rear trac bar

Hey guys, did some light wheeling yesterday, bent my rear trac bar. Can anyone give me insight as to what can cause this? Im running 3" synergy coils, adjustable arms in the rear, and a aev bracket to move the tracbar up on the axel side. My coils are very bowed, i will add a wedge when i replace the trac bar. Could i have over flexed? Not enough bump stop? Id like to,fix this the correct way.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Just cut those coil perches off and rotate them back on top of the axle and weld them back on. They are not held on by much of a weld and is a quick job done right. No reason to spend money on wedges.

As far as the track bar it is a strange place to bend, can you stuff it to the frame? If so you need to add some bump stop. Looks like you might have stuffed the rear driver side while drooping the rear passenger side.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Granite Guru

Whats the pinion angle on this axle?
it looks like the entire axle would be a lot happier if the pinion went down about 6 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thats right now with the bent trac bar, i wanna say it was about 6 degrees when,i set it up
Attached Images

post #5 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Rock God

I don't think it's bent. The AEV trackbar that comes with their rear trackbar Bracket comes bent like that lol

It's bent like that to fit around the stock exhaust pipe because their rear bracket raises the mount almost 7"

Here's mine:

From quadratec...

kjeeper10 likes this.

Last edited by Biginboca; 05-12-2017 at 12:28 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

damn, so it must just be the trac bar smashing the coils then...must have stretched the adjustable arms out too far? damn franken lift.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

so im looking at the adjustable bars out there and most dont have the bend, am i gonna smash my exhaust if i replace the aev bar with a teraflex or RK ??
ASSFROW likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Rock God

Just fix your pinion angle which will in turn (mostly) fix your cool bow also. Then call it a day
post #9 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Rock God

That is the AEV bracket, and I can confirm from first hand experience that the track bar is supposed to look like that on the AEV kit.

It would take a huge event to bend the track bar that much. There's literally no way "light wheeling" could do that. It would take a pretty spectacular impact that you would for sure remember.

Also agree with others that your pinion looks a bit high, and especially with the stock drive shaft the angle doesn't even really matter. Lowering that would be much easier than changing spring perches if you have adjustable control arms (if not, you might as well get some because when your drive shaft blows up you'll need them anyways for a DC shaft).
post #10 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive View Post
Whats the pinion angle on this axle?
it looks like the entire axle would be a lot happier if the pinion went down about 6 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieneken49 View Post
Thats right now with the bent trac bar, i wanna say it was about 6 degrees when,i set it up

FYI, that photo is not indicating your pinion angle. Your gage needs to be on the diff to indicate pinion angle.

Eyeball-o-meter analysis of photo is telling me your pinion needs to be rotated downward.

EDIT: also, the wedges don't do as much as one would assume. thedirtman is handing you golden advice here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Just cut those coil perches off and rotate them back on top of the axle and weld them back on. They are not held on by much of a weld and is a quick job done right. No reason to spend money on wedges.
EDIT 2: fix yer' fookin' pinion angle first, then determine if you need to fawk with anything else.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-12-2017 at 07:55 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Shorten uppers boom done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How much should i lower the angle by? With the angle gage on the flange of the dif it shows 10 degrees

Last edited by hieneken49; 05-14-2017 at 08:32 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieneken49 View Post
How much should i lower the angle by? With the angle gage on the flange of the dif it shows 10 degrees
Rear should have the pinion 1-2 degrees below the shaft angle. Right now it's above by a few degrees.

With that stock shaft you can safely go an additional 3-4 degrees beyond that correction if it helps the springs, but if you ever upgrade to a double cardan shaft you could not overshoot the angle like that.
hieneken49 likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

just wanted to thank everyone for ur input, shortened up the upper arms, put in metacloak wedges and bumpstops, and everything looks golden !

no rubbing and the coils are pretty straight. will try to get pics a lil later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode