Tire Clearance Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tire Clearance Question

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone who has dealt with this could help me. I'm currently running 37x12.5R17's on my JKU. I'm running 4.45" BS on my wheels, and was getting some pretty good frame rub at tire lock. I tried lowering the backspacing with some 1" spidertrax spacers, which has eliminated 99% of my on-road rubbing (very minor rubbing at full tire lock if I'm off-camber) but I still get a good amount off-road. Is there a solution to this other than shimming my steering stops or am I at that point? I'd love any and all feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2017, 09:25 PM
JKO Addict!

What tires you running ? Mine dont rub the frame at all not even close. Only rubbing i had was with my RK CA's and i added a couple washers to the stops.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
What tires you running ? Mine dont rub the frame at all not even close. Only rubbing i had was with my RK CA's and i added a couple washers to the stops.

Hankook RT03's. My metalcloak LCAs clear just fine but the rear of the tire rubs the frame pretty obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Granite Guru

how much lift are you running? i have a 2.5 aev lift with 37x12.5 on 4.75"backspaced wheels and the tire barely touches the frame at full lock (there is a little shiny spot about 1x2 inches on the frame).
post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Adjust your wheel lock stops so it doesn't hit the frame
37's also require 3.5in of BS min.

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF

Last edited by jchappies; 05-03-2017 at 02:20 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 03:26 PM
JKowners Vendor

The amount of bump stop factors in quite a bit. Sounds like you have some good uptravel. Even with 3.5" BS you are going to get frame rub. One option is to push the axle forward a little, but that gets complicated for the average build.

What we found to be the ideal solution is Satin Black Rustoleum. Matches the frame perfectly. Limiting steering because you are taking some paint off is not worth it. The tire rub is not going to hurt anything. Give it a shot of satin black once in a while and you are all good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 03:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

It is because your Steer Smarts is too smart for that nonsense.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tire Clearance Question

Thanks for the input guys. I am running a 3.5" lift (tires clear on uptravel thanks to flat fenders). At the moment I've just been letting it rub, it builds some surface rust if I don't off-road frequently but by the end of a day off-road it's rubbed the surface rust off again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode