Budget Boost Worth It? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Budget Boost Worth It?

Last year I priced out a Teraflex 2.5" budget boost with my shop, but didn't have/want to front the cash for that at the time. Now I might have the cash.

Is a budget boost worth it? I feel like I've gotten the impression that it's basically wheel spacers and not a full suspension lift. Will I be disappointed in that choice?

Also, the shop quoted out a Teraflex 9550 steering stabilizer and Superchips flash cal programmer. Are these a must with the budget boost?

While I would love to take it off road, it is my daily driver and I plan to take road trips with it when I'm off during the summers.

I plan to run 35s.

Last edited by JeepGirl83; 04-09-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Rock God

If you want an inexpensive lift and won't be loading up with heavy accessories then a budget boost would work for you. If you are adding heavy bumpers and armor then it's not the best route.

You don't need that steering stabilizer. That's a waste no matter what unless your stock stabilizer is trashed or broken. Then you can get a cheap replacement stock stabilizer.

The flash cal is also only needed if you get bigger tires. For a lift it does nothing. If you plan to run 35's you'll need the programmer to correct your speedometer and shifting on the automatic transmission.

You can run 35's with no lift with some fender trimming also, no lift needed. You will need 1.5" wheel spacers with factory wheels or ~4.5" backspaced aftermarket wheels to run 35's whether you lift or not.

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-09-2017 at 03:30 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
If you want an inexpensive lift and won't be loading up with heavy accessories then a budget boost would work for you. If you are adding heavy bumpers and armor then it's not the best route.

You don't need that steering stabilizer. That's a waste no matter what unless your stock stabilizer is trashed or broken. Then you can get a cheap replacement stock stabilizer.

The flash cal is also only needed if you get bigger tires. For a lift it does nothing. If you plan to run 35's you'll need the programmer to correct your speedometer and shifting.

You can run 35's with no lift with some fender trimming also, no lift needed. You will need wheel 1.5" spacers or ~4.5" backspaced aftermarket wheels.
Thanks, Biginboca.

Ultimately, I would like to do the 2.5" budget boost, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, and Fuel wheels (Octane, Assault, etc.).

I am upgrading to a Teraflex front and rear bumper because of the accident my Jeep was in nearly three weeks ago. Why put stock back on when I can upgrade for free?

Looks like the steering stabilizer is only $57 and 1/2 hour to install, so it won't save me much money cutting it out, but you don't think it's necessary regardless? As of right now, I have no reason to believe my stock stabilizer is trashed. However, I was car #2 (first car hit by an asshole in a Tiburon) in a four car pileup, and they still haven't torn the Jeep down yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Thanks, Biginboca.

Ultimately, I would like to do the 2.5" budget boost, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, and Fuel wheels (Octane, Assault, etc.).

I am upgrading to a Teraflex front and rear bumper because of the accident my Jeep was in nearly three weeks ago. Why put stock back on when I can upgrade for free?

Looks like the steering stabilizer is only $57 and 1/2 hour to install, so it won't save me much money cutting it out, but you don't think it's necessary regardless? As of right now, I have no reason to believe my stock stabilizer is trashed. However, I was car #2 (first car hit by an asshole in a Tiburon) in a four car pileup, and they still haven't torn the Jeep down yet.
Unless your stabilizer was damaged (visible leakage or bent) it would be a waste to replace it. I've got tens of thousands $$ spent on mods and running a 6 year old stock stabilizer myself. I don't spend money on parts that won't improve my jeep, and don't think you should either.

I don't know how heavy those bumpers are, maybe someone else can chime in. I'm thinking if you get a 2.5" budget boost and the bumpers drop you back down an inch from weight then you'll still be able to run 35's. A lot of guys run 35's on a 1.5" leveling kit. If there's rubbing you can always trim.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Granite Guru

My wife daily drove a combo just like that. Here's my advice from experience (esp since you don't describe much off-road needs).

-Teraflex 2.5" coil lift will def let you clear msot 35s if you don't plan to do much off-road flex (which I doubt in Del Ray - I've spent a good deal of time in S FL). Could chop fenders or swap to high clearance models if you end up needing the clearance/articulation (run it first and text).
-Skip the steering stabilizer. You won't notice it if your lift is setup correct. If it helps you, you have other issues you need to solve and will wear other parts anyway.
-I was able to skip reprogramming for quite some time. No immediate need to do the flash cal. I ran 3.73 gears (Sport with towing package setup) for a good bit in a similar flat state on the highway and DD w the wife's Jeep. Is speedo dead on? Are shift points exactly correct? No. Will you notice or seriously mind? Prob not...

You can get the job done here for $500ish parts + whatever install.
-Might want to trim the pinch seam to be sure you don't cut a tire if you do ever flex the 35s up.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrockTT View Post
My wife daily drove a combo just like that. Here's my advice from experience (esp since you don't describe much off-road needs).

-Teraflex 2.5" coil lift will def let you clear msot 35s if you don't plan to do much off-road flex (which I doubt in Del Ray - I've spent a good deal of time in S FL). Could chop fenders or swap to high clearance models if you end up needing the clearance/articulation (run it first and text).
-Skip the steering stabilizer. You won't notice it if your lift is setup correct. If it helps you, you have other issues you need to solve and will wear other parts anyway.
-I was able to skip reprogramming for quite some time. No immediate need to do the flash cal. I ran 3.73 gears (Sport with towing package setup) for a good bit in a similar flat state on the highway and DD w the wife's Jeep. Is speedo dead on? Are shift points exactly correct? No. Will you notice or seriously mind? Prob not...

You can get the job done here for $500ish parts + whatever install.
-Might want to trim the pinch seam to be sure you don't cut a tire if you do ever flex the 35s up.
Thanks for the feedback, Adrock. There's a local off-road park around here, but I live in the Chicago suburbs. It's mostly flat out here. I'm just concerned about running a lift with 35s with the 3:21 gears and my ex-husband says I might wear down mud tires with the commute. I work 17 miles from home, but as of June 2, I'll be unemployed until I find something else, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Last year the shop quoted me the budget boost which isn't coils, I don't believe. They have another 2.5" lift that is coils for about $200 more. I put an email into the shop to see if I can get factory take offs from him for free or cheap to repair the damage from the accident and then do a lift with wheels and tires with the insurance money instead.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Adrock. There's a local off-road park around here, but I live in the Chicago suburbs. It's mostly flat out here. I'm just concerned about running a lift with 35s with the 3:21 gears and my ex-husband says I might wear down mud tires with the commute. I work 17 miles from home, but as of June 2, I'll be unemployed until I find something else, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Last year the shop quoted me the budget boost which isn't coils, I don't believe. They have another 2.5" lift that is coils for about $200 more. I put an email into the shop to see if I can get factory take offs from him for free or cheap to repair the damage from the accident and then do a lift with wheels and tires with the insurance money instead.
You're welcome. I have been in your boat before when the wife had the Jeep and now I'm on the far other end of the spectrum (axle swap - 1 tons, hydro, coilovers, etc. - major off-road performance gear).

If you drive snow in Chicago area and don't plan to do much off-roading, why would you want mud terrains? I would advise against that. Get some AT or in-between tires (like the Toyo RTs - between the ATs and the MTs). You'll be slippers on big tread blocks with MTs unless you buy them or have them siped. Plus non-MT tires will have better tread life and a warranty (like the Toyo RTs have 40k mile guarantee).

Here's the lift I'd recommend for just street use clearing 35s. You can off-road with it safely, with slightly better than stock performance (given the 35s), but from your description I doubt you need much more right now (or want to break the budget to get there).
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72d7b

If you need new shocks, you can get that same lift above with longer, new shocks instead for an additional cost.

I would advise coils over just extensions. I think you get a touch more lift, a bit better ride, and slight better off-road performance for the small cost.

We did 35s on 3.73 gears for a long time without any drama. 3.21 is def pushing it for 35s and will feel a bit sluggish, but that part is totally up to you the driver. Depends how many hills, how much highway, your needs to move quick from a stop, etc. Off-road will also not be as effective in 4 low with this tire/gear combo.

I know they don't look nearly as nice of an overall package, but 33's will certainly fit easier, less risk to rub or contact the pinch seam, and drive a lot nicer on 3.21 gears...

It's an expensive and never-ending rabbit hole if you get dragged in...enjoy the ride!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Granite Guru

AdrockTT bring out a good point about tires. You don't need mud tires unless you want the looks. Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs would probably be good in your area since they are one of the more aggressive tires that is snow rated.

My rule of thumb is to expect around 30,000 miles from a mud tire. Some will get more but I expect low mileage and am sometimes happily surprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode