Temporary, Road Only 35" on Stock Suspension - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-08-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Temporary, Road Only 35" on Stock Suspension

So, here's the situation.

At some point in the near future I plan to do a 3" lift (Teraflex) + 35X12.50/R17 General Grabbers on American Racing Baja 17x9" rims (4.5" backspacing).

I've been pushing off replacing my stock tires, they are quickly approaching the point where they absolutely MUST be replaced (usable, but will not pass inspection in the next 2-3ish months).

Won't have time to get lift, but plan to before spring is over.

Would the rim/tire combination fit and not rub for >regular on-road use< (no off-roading/flexing until lift) for a period of time until I can apply the lift and hit the trails? Major concerns is rubbing, and possible cheap, temporary solutions to those are welcome.

Mind you, this would not be permanent. Both bumpers will eventually be replaced, as well as the fenders.

(My first post as someone who has scoured the forums for the past few years unregistered.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Wheeler

Trimming is your best option if you can't spring for a lift immediately. I think you'll need to watch & trim the fenders, pinch seam, front bumper & Rubicon sliders if you have them. Front air dam will need to go too.

I ran 35's for a couple of weeks before my lift with what I've listed. Except I got flat fenders right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Black JKR on 35s
post #3 of 6 Old 04-08-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

So they were rubbing on flat ground and when turning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Wheeler

Temporary, Road Only 35&quot; on Stock Suspension

Air dam & front bumper were rubbing the tires on turning. Installed flat fenders before the 35s, if I still had the stock fenders on, pretty sure they would have rubbed.

Pinch seam & rock rails didn't rub on flat ground. On flexing the rear tires were just a mm away from hitting the sharp edge of the pinch seam.

Hope that helps. You could install the 35s & keep a close eye, trimming where needed. Might be able to get away with it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Black JKR on 35s
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, exactly the information I was looking for. Most other places seem to beat around the bush and generally say "it won't work" or "it will work".

Sounds like I'll have to trim both of those plastic pieces, or just outright remove the air dam.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Rock God

You will rub the front fender if you hit any dips when turning but, at the least, remove the air dam...it will rub on flat ground.
Any flex will be cause for concern...you'll know for sure when a rear fender is hangin in the breeze.

For comparison, on an un-lifted '14 2dr...
These tires are 33.5" installed...315/70-17 on 17x8.5 w/ 4.63 BS. Numerically, these tires are 34.4", the Grabber X2 is 34.8" and the X3 is 35". Take your own measurements.

The pinch seam on my '14 came relieved, no acute corner. You can make it out if you zoom in and "expose" the pic. Haven't hit the pinch seam yet.

I did start takin' out rear fenders when I flexed more than what one would encounter on the street and likely would have given the front fender and bumper a hard time if also turning while flexing.
I put on some PSC fenders. I rub somewhere when flexing...3.5" Lift yet to be installed. Bumpers have been replaced, no issues.

FYI, your tires will stick out beyond the fenders a good 1.5"...something to think about when inspection time comes. I haven't been stopped on the street with my 1.5-2" extension, yet. Inspection time gets the the WJ's tires/wheels.

Last edited by funfred; 04-23-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode