Seeking Modification Advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-08-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Seeking Modification Advice

I'm currently in the process of getting my Jeep that was in a four car pileup nearly three weeks ago fixed. Because I can, I'm getting aftermarket parts put on instead of stock. I've got $6,900 (so far) from insurance to play with. Here's my list of currently discovered damages:

1. Body/paint
2. Spare tire
3. Spare tire carrier
4. Tailgate
5. Front bumper
6. Back bumper
7. Rear trackbar
8. Rear shocks
9. Exhaust

I'm intending to replace the front and back bumpers and the exhaust with after market parts. I would LOVE to be able to also afford a lift, tires, and wheels, but I think I'm dreaming, even after a diminished value claim. Here are the parts I currently have on my estimate from the shop:

Front bumper: https://teraflex.com/shop_items/56df...d70ed4930279f3

Rear bumper: https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72f6b

Exhaust: Magnaflow MagnaFlow Black Wrangler Axle-Back Exhaust 15160 (07-17 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

Anyone have any experience with Magnaflow or Teraflex? I really like the exhaust, but I'm not 100% sold on the bumpers. I like the front, but don't love the rear. Any suggestions for me? The shop I am getting my Jeep fixed at recommends Teraflex and Poison Spyder. I've found some bumpers I really like the look of on eBay for a fraction of the Teraflex price. Is that a no-no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Wheeler

Seeking Modification Advice

So you don't have money for lift, tires & wheels? One of your other posts on the same topic asks for recommends on wheels/tires.

The accident pix shows a stock Jeep. Why not fix it back to stock state if you don't plan on wheeling?

Also, please do a favor & consolidate your two posts asking for opinions on mods/fixes. Thx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Black JKR on 35s

Last edited by Dirtysocks; 04-08-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-08-2017, 11:05 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
I'm currently in the process of getting my Jeep that was in a four car pileup nearly three weeks ago fixed. Because I can, I'm getting aftermarket parts put on instead of stock. I've got $6,900 (so far) from insurance to play with. Here's my list of currently discovered damages:

1. Body/paint
2. Spare tire
3. Spare tire carrier
4. Tailgate
5. Front bumper
6. Back bumper
7. Rear trackbar
8. Rear shocks
9. Exhaust

I'm intending to replace the front and back bumpers and the exhaust with after market parts. I would LOVE to be able to also afford a lift, tires, and wheels, but I think I'm dreaming, even after a diminished value claim. Here are the parts I currently have on my estimate from the shop:

Front bumper: https://teraflex.com/shop_items/56df...d70ed4930279f3

Rear bumper: https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72f6b

Exhaust: Magnaflow MagnaFlow Black Wrangler Axle-Back Exhaust 15160 (07-17 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

Anyone have any experience with Magnaflow or Teraflex? I really like the exhaust, but I'm not 100% sold on the bumpers. I like the front, but don't love the rear. Any suggestions for me? The shop I am getting my Jeep fixed at recommends Teraflex and Poison Spyder. I've found some bumpers I really like the look of on eBay for a fraction of the Teraflex price. Is that a no-no?
Buying less expensive products off eBay is risky. Most, if not all of those you were probably looking at, are offshore manufactured. Not that there is not some quality stuff coming in port, however, the company that is having it made may not have as stringent quality standards as others or US made. There is a lot of manufacturing happening in China and not all plants are the same when it comes to QA and end product.

I would stay with Poison. Or, if pricing is a driving force in this decision, check out the DV8 product line. Fronts here and rears here. Let me know if you would like pricing on any bumpers. Please shoot me a PM with any choices and a zip code.

Have a great day!

Allen

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-08-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysocks View Post
So you don't have money for lift, tires & wheels? One of your other posts on the same topic asks for recommends on wheels/tires.

The accident pix shows a stock Jeep. Why not fix it back to stock state if you don't plan on wheeling?

Also, please do a favor & consolidate your two posts asking for opinions on mods/fixes. Thx in advance.

Never said I didn't plan on wheeling. Evidently you made that assumption, and you know what happens when you assume...

As to your request for consolidating my posts... I looked at the different forum topics and there was one specifically for wheels and tires, and that drove my decision to post that particular question there. Sorry if it doesn't coincide with what you would've preferred I do.

Won't know if I have enough money for all of it or not until after the current issues are fixed and I file my diminished value claim. I am making myself a "dream" list in the event that I have money for everything I want.

Thanks for the helpful response including zero sought after advice.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-08-2017, 11:47 AM
JKowners Vendor

If you can save money to throw at the rest of your list by replacing the factory exhaust, do that. If your intent is to get a more personally appealing sound from your ride, then get the aftermarket exhaust. HP gains are high in the powerband and generally in the single digits. So, with parasitic loss, you have foe performance. There is not even any claims of HP gains at the product link above or on Magnaflow's site. Great sound clip though.

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

post #6 of 16 Old 04-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
....Won't know if I have enough money for all of it or not until after the current issues are fixed and I file my diminished value claim. I am making myself a "dream" list in the event that I have money for everything I want.

Thanks for the helpful response including zero sought after advice.

A dream list is different from the OP that states a certain $ value available to play with.
I'm sure lots of people here can comment on dream list mods that might fit what you're looking for. Best of luck with the Jeep & mods.

2014 Black JKR on 35s
post #7 of 16 Old 04-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Wheeler

You could just get an axle back system instead of a full exhaust. There really is no gain to getting a full exhaust unless you need drive shaft clearance. That'll Save some money. Figure ($400) Get a 2.5" Teraflex lift ($800). I wouldn't get that rear bumper of you don't love it, you'll regret it later on. DV8 and Ace would be cheaper quality options. You could even get a PS rock brawler 2 cheaper. I'd get the Ace ($900) and that includes a tire carrier so you don't have to worry about you tailgate hinges with oversized tires. Give ($300) for shocks and that's a high estimate. There's $2400 out of your $6900 and all you have left to get is a rear track bar, tailgate, and then body and paint.

2012 JKU Sport
3.5" AEV Lift
BushWacker Flat Fenders
Cibie Headlights
ACE Engineering Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
post #8 of 16 Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Wheeler

ideas...

You could probably locate a free factory bumper somewhere, I have one but I'm way too far away from you. I ended up just removing my rear bumper and using Olympic 4x4's frame cover. VKS Fab and EVO both also make them for under $200 you get a nice clean look on the back of your jeep. As far as tire carriers, many of the quality manufacturers offer rear bumper and tire carriers, ie. Poison, Tera, Warn, etc but they are pricy. If you are staying close to stock size there are some good quality carriers that are tailgate mounted that come with reinforcements for the tailgate, Tera... When I am ready I'm most likely going to go with the ARB stubby front @$450 or the Poison BFH @$400 for my front bumper. I upgraded to LED headlights and never use my fogs anymore. Some bumper options are cheaper if you go w/o fog cutouts. Hope this gives you some ideas.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Pleepleus View Post
You could probably locate a free factory bumper somewhere, I have one but I'm way too far away from you. I ended up just removing my rear bumper and using Olympic 4x4's frame cover. VKS Fab and EVO both also make them for under $200 you get a nice clean look on the back of your jeep. As far as tire carriers, many of the quality manufacturers offer rear bumper and tire carriers, ie. Poison, Tera, Warn, etc but they are pricy. If you are staying close to stock size there are some good quality carriers that are tailgate mounted that come with reinforcements for the tailgate, Tera... When I am ready I'm most likely going to go with the ARB stubby front @$450 or the Poison BFH @$400 for my front bumper. I upgraded to LED headlights and never use my fogs anymore. Some bumper options are cheaper if you go w/o fog cutouts. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Totally does, thanks!

Ok... one more option to throw at ya'll. The shop did (at one point) offer free basically new/slightly used bumpers if I worked with his body guy.

With the kind of cash I'm getting, would ya'll recommend I get the factory take off bumpers for free and do a lift with new wheels and tires? Then upgrade the bumpers down the line?
post #10 of 16 Old 04-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Rock God

In that case yes I'd take the nearly free stock parts, keep the cash and put it elsewhere or buy new bumpers later. If you rush into aftermarket upgrades without really thinking through what you want you're likely to end up regretting things
post #11 of 16 Old 04-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Granite Guru

Actually I just took a bumper off a 2016, I'm not sure if you can still use it or how much they would charge you but pm me if you want it free of charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

||||||| 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks
post #12 of 16 Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Some more pics
Attached Images

post #13 of 16 Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

@ Maximus-

This is really not the way that we do things around here. Out of respect for the fact that this thread is in MODIFIED TECH as well as for the fact that the OP did not ask you or any vendor to dirty-up her thread with sales pitches, I must ask that you refrain from stretching your advertising dollar into threads like these. Thank you for your cooperation.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #14 of 16 Old 04-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Up to OP. No harm/ no foul. Just wanted to clarify that modified section is not the section to promote products unless specified by OP. You can always edit/ delete posts but I'll take care of it if OP wishes. Thanks again for your cooperation and understanding.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #15 of 16 Old 04-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusM View Post
I thought vendors can post anywhere thats why I signed up for a vendor but honestly had no clue.
You technically can. The issue is that these threads started by our forum members ( threads that are seeking things OTHER than purchasing advice from vendors) are not the place for solicitation of products. It's essentially forum etiquette. I hope you understand that. And please... at this point just PM me with any further questions or comments. Now all of a sudden we have a member's thread in modified tech getting muddied-up with all of this completely off-topic back-n-forth. Pushing your product is to be done in VENDOR MARKETPLACE/ FOR SALE/ NEW PRODUCT or in a thread where OP SPECIFICALLY asks for a vendor to chime in about something. Otherwise... just like the unspoken rule at the urinal... keep your eyes forward.

Thanks.

Sorry, OP. End hijack/

post #16 of 16 Old 04-13-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
You technically can. The issue is that these threads started by our forum members ( threads that are seeking things OTHER than purchasing advice from vendors) are not the place for solicitation of products. It's essentially forum etiquette. I hope you understand that. And please... at this point just PM me with any further questions or comments. Now all of a sudden we have a member's thread in modified tech getting muddied-up with all of this completely off-topic back-n-forth. Pushing your product is to be done in VENDOR MARKETPLACE/ FOR SALE/ NEW PRODUCT or in a thread where OP SPECIFICALLY asks for a vendor to chime in about something. Otherwise... just like the unspoken rule at the urinal... keep your eyes forward.

Thanks.

Sorry, OP. End hijack/

Thanks, Stub. Like you said, no harm, no foul. As an English teacher, I'm more upset at the misspellings and lack of proper grammar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode