RIPP & High altitude pulley? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
RIPP & High altitude pulley?

I live in SOCAL and go from sea level to 6500ft, I just installed the RIPP SC and wondering if I need to go to the high altitude pulley. I would like the boost to come on sooner. I have the standard pulley now and when it drops a gear (2011 4speed auto) to 3rd it pulls like a freight train but I'm trying to keep it from downshifting on some small rolling hills on my commute. I was thinking bringing the boost on earlier would keep this from happening.
I'm not one to rev out the motor, I like to keep it under 4K so if I can bring it on earlier that may benefit my driving style.
Anyone have and Dyno sheets for a 3.8 auto with a standard pulley vs a high altitude pulley?
Any Pro's and Con's

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-07-2017, 06:02 AM
Rock God

I added the high altitude pulley to mine and was very pleased.. i think you will like it.. adds a little extra boost. just a little more kick which is always nice..
post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2017, 06:16 AM
Granite Guru

I have a Hesco Supercharger on my 3.8 and I have been running the smaller pulley on mine for a few years now. It made a decent improvement in power from the bottom to the top. The Jeep builds about 11lbs of boost at 5k RPM which is a little sketchy, but it is holding fine so far.

The best thing I did for drive-ability was swap out the cheap plastic blowoff valve with an aftermarket adjustable valve. I have it closing sooner so you use a lot less pedal to build power down low. Even made a big difference on the highway, where the valve stays on boost and isnt falling in and out causing an irritating jerk.

I know the RIPP is a little different, but most kits use the same parts I discussed.

2010 JKU Rubicon - 40s - Hesco SC - 60/14b - 5.38s - 3.5" RK - Artec - PSC - Yukon - ect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Get the pulley, you will be happier. Being in California, you may want to check with RIPP if the "high altitude" is still CARB. You could just remove it at smog check time and not worry about it or leave it on and hope the tech misses it on the visual (likely).

edit: Does the pulley and belt come with a new tune? I think that you're gonna want to retune with added boost!

Still, pardon me for saying, in the big supercharger debate, folks tend to say that the centrifugal develop their boost later anyway - ya gotta spin 'em up. Herein lies at least part of your issue.

I have a TVS so am a little different but I am fiddling with the boost control valve. The only thing that I would advise here is to have it set so that you are bypassed and NOT boosting at highway cruise. That is the whole point of the system. Still, I am intrigued to lock my bypass closed (always boosting) but have not gotten around to that yet.

The advice to mess with the bypass is good. Not sure if you centrifugal guys can benefit from an electronic boost controller like the turbo guys but I would look into it. With a turbo, you can better control boost and bring it on lower in the RPM range.

I would love to have such a kit that would work with a PD blower, I am just not sure it is practical. I looked through some installation instructions for what I think was the AEM boost controller.

Now here is where it gets evil.... the other thing you can do is get into water/methanol injection. And here is the case that I will make for you.... It will allow you to increase your ignition timing while under boost and timing is where you get the HP (more so than tweaking AFR). You can start spraying as soon as you hit boost and that gives you a broad range of advanced ignition timing. ...meaning that you can improve power and response lower in the RPM range through advanced ignition timing. Your timing was retarded compared to the stock setting just for the blower. The intercooler reduces the temps and detonation and allows you to get some timing back. WMI does more. On a RIPP design, you can locate your WMI jets in the more ideal location of post-supercharger and post-intercooler. (and FWIW, the ideal location as I understand it would be right as it comes out of the intercooler versus right at the throttle body) With PD, you do what to spray at least some of the mix through the blower - we've been doing since WW-II fighter planes (Jeeps on the ground).

edit 2: And FWIW, even with my Edelbrock TVS and driving to the rocks at 7,000'+, I only really register boost on the highway. Almost no boost and very little water/methanol is expended while on the trail - I am shifted into low and crawling a lot when I go off-road. Playing at the local 4x4 play ground in the mud, I was boosting and spraying in 4WD high.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 04-12-2017 at 12:38 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-12-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks
I called RIPP, the high altitude pulley brings on the boost (according to RIPP) about 100 rpm sooner and adds about 15HP. They also said as long as I'm running the latest tune I will be CARB compliant and no special tune will be required.

With that said high altitude pulley ordered.

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
post #6 of 7 Old 04-12-2017, 04:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Chappelear View Post
Thanks
I called RIPP, the high altitude pulley brings on the boost (according to RIPP) about 100 rpm sooner and adds about 15HP. They also said as long as I'm running the latest tune I will be CARB compliant and no special tune will be required.

With that said high altitude pulley ordered.
Cool. Sounds like a seamless upgrade. Good luck.

Another way to get a little more power down low (across the entire RPM band) would be if you had a higher octane fuel readily available in your area. You would have to get a new tune to take advantage of the octane (not CARB - if you care) but that is another way to get some more pep out of what you already have.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Changed to the altitude pulley this weekend. RIPP should just come with that pulley from the beginning. It made a nice difference in the lower RPM's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode