Mishimoto radiator leaking - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Mishimoto radiator leaking

so i installed a mishimoto radiator about two years ago (ive actually only drove my JK about 2000 miles since then)

today i came back where my JK was parked and there was a wet spot! WTF. after a few minutes of denial and watching it as my jeep idled, sure enough its coolant dripping from my rad. seems like its coming from the lower corner. after double checking to make sure it wasnt coming from the drain plug on the rad, it seems like its coming from where the end tanks are welded. WTF mishimoto, this is actually my second rad from them too, first one sent to me had some extremely shotty bracketry.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2017, 09:09 PM
Granite Guru

I have read this over and over from others who bought these radiators, from different forums. I'm glad I didn't buy that brand. I'd call and tell them about it, if you can find a number for them. Good luck !
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

https://www.mishimoto.com/contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2017, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

several regulars on here dealt with similar. Mishimoto helped them and stuck with warranty, iirc.

Did you use the silicone Mishimoto hoses? It is very easy for silicone coolant hoses to leak via expansion from heat and cold. Even a small trickle around neck of in radiator can occur with these hoses. I run them and have a permanent towel sponge 2"x2" square near upper OEM radiator inlet where I have Mishimoto hoses secured as tight as I dare but Offroading sometimes a few drops squeak and drip thru. Just sayin if you are using them , eliminate the silicone hoses as culprit possibility before rad . If you pressure tested radiator disregard this but thought it may help ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-30-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
several regulars on here dealt with similar. Mishimoto helped them and stuck with warranty, iirc.

Did you use the silicone Mishimoto hoses? It is very easy for silicone coolant hoses to leak via expansion from heat and cold. Even a small trickle around neck of in radiator can occur with these hoses. I run them and have a permanent towel sponge 2"x2" square near upper OEM radiator inlet where I have Mishimoto hoses secured as tight as I dare but Offroading sometimes a few drops squeak and drip thru. Just sayin if you are using them , eliminate the silicone hoses as culprit possibility before rad . If you pressure tested radiator disregard this but thought it may help ....
i am using OEM hoses and unfortunately it is not from the hoses. they claim it could be from body flex when wheeling, but i believe its a bad weld that gave after a lot of heat cycles. a crack due to body flex would leak much more than what i have. mine only leaks at peak temperature.

I have already contacted Mishimoto and they are sending me a new one. although their warranty is great, it is not something i want to replace every couple of years.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
i am using OEM hoses and unfortunately it is not from the hoses. they claim it could be from body flex when wheeling, but i believe its a bad weld that gave after a lot of heat cycles. a crack due to body flex would leak much more than what i have. mine only leaks at peak temperature.

I have already contacted Mishimoto and they are sending me a new one. although their warranty is great, it is not something i want to replace every couple of years.

I was so hoping for my optimism to wind-up being trrue but that is also what others have reported . I think it was @White13JKUR that was the one who had some issue last that I recall. He, too, had to replace one iirc

Sorry; I kno what a pita that is. I have had to replace both my Jeeps rads this past year and by God you don't wanna do that job any more than you must. I hope the one they replace is prefect, leakfree and goes in like butter!
chknkatsu likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-02-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

im surprised that Mishimoto didnt pop their head in here, i know they are on the forum because i've bitched about them before when my original radiator came in.

i went on to another forum im a part of (yes THAT other one). someone else complained about a leaking mishimoto, of course mishimoto popped their head in blaming chassis flex.

seems like mishimoto is so confident about their product that they always blame the vehicle its being installed in. at no point does it ever cross mishimotos mind that MAYBE their products are manufactured like shit, MAYBE its not the vehicle to blame, MAYBE the person welding their shit together has no idea wtf they are doing and their quality control is piss poor.

I see so many complaints from different vehicle owners about Mishimoto radiators at a certain point blaming chassis flex becomes a little bit ridiculous. i dont even understand how mishimoto makes money considering how many warranty radiators they ship out.

for anyone who reads this thread, DO NOT waste your time and money on mishimoto. just go and get an OEM radiator if your original shits the bed. nothing on the vehicle should last only 2K miles. your products are shit, mishimoto, our vehicles are fine. if you cant make a radiator that can withstand everyday use in a vehicle then maybe you shouldnt be making car parts.

btw Mishimoto, here is my case number; ODV-207-25558

they are sending me a new one (had to pay $30 for shipping). regardless of whether it leaks or not i'll steer away anyone who asks about it. my hopes are NOT high right now, im going to be bringing my OEM rad with me when i get the Mishimoto one reinstalled in case it decides to dump coolant on the ground

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK

Last edited by chknkatsu; 04-02-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode