Upgrading Axle Shafts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rubi-8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Upgrading Axle Shafts

I'm planning on upgrading to chromoly shafts, but it will be a few months between swapping the front and the rear's.

Which should I do first? Front or rear? I will be in Moab in three weeks and will do the other end when I return before the summer.

Sent from a payphone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Rock God

I would do the front shafts first. In my experience rear shaft breakage is less common than front shaft and U joint issues, and although you might bend a rear shaft flange you can still drive on a bent flange for a month or 2. I once did for 3 months.

Plus a broken front shaft is more likely imo, especially if you don't have a Rubicon.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

I broke a front shaft first. And the people I know usually break the front way more often then the rear... It's usually the long side shaft too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks. It is a Rubicon. Sounds like the front it will be.

Sent from a payphone
post #5 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Rock God

Or why not just carry trail spares? Why spend $1400 to prevent (maybe) a breakage when $300 could get you a spare shaft then up and running in a few minutes?

I have not personally broken an axle shaft since 97. I have however fixed many others on the trail. To me, I like fuses. 1310 u-joints are a great fuse and easy to replace. Stock axle shafts and axle u-joint are cheap insurance. One if the guys I run with has RCV shafts. Want to know what broke when he had his front axle bound up in the rocks? Ring gear. (2012 Rubicon 2 dr, 35s and 4.88 gears)
Jkbroc and 1eviljk like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #6 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
Or why not just carry trail spares? Why spend $1400 to prevent (maybe) a breakage when $300 could get you a spare shaft then up and running in a few minutes?

I have not personally broken an axle shaft since 97. I have however fixed many others on the trail. To me, I like fuses. 1310 u-joints are a great fuse and easy to replace. Stock axle shafts and axle u-joint are cheap insurance. One if the guys I run with has RCV shafts. Want to know what broke when he had his front axle bound up in the rocks? Ring gear. (2012 Rubicon 2 dr, 35s and 4.88 gears)
But you get a set of cromos for 6 or 7 hundred and have your stockers as a trail spare .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #7 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes. I'm not going with RCV's. Ten Factory and keep the stock shafts as spares.

Sent from a payphone
post #8 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Rock God

Only advantage to rear upgrade first is then you can carry the stock ones as spares. Break a front axle shaft, just remove it and plug the tube to keep oil in. Break a rear semi-float shaft and you're walking out.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-23-2017, 05:30 AM
Rock God

I believe it was 2012 when they changed the u joint size on the front to 1350s. I would say the front are more likely to break, but given your trip i would be more worried about a rear shaft breaking because it won't be drive-able. A front shaft would only stop your wheeling, not your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well crap.

I'm on 37's, if it makes a difference.

Sent from a payphone
post #11 of 11 Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post

Until your cheap fuse breaks and you drive just a few more feet and the yokes catch and push the knuckle off

I broke a passenger side front RCV the other day and it was at the splines of the long shaft where it goes into the bell.
I heard a bang and thought it might of broken, but had to drive around on it for 5 minutes and then jack it up to work out what had really happened.

If I was the op I would definitely do the fronts first. Either chromo or RCV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode