front pinion seal leak - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

front pinion seal leak

I recently had a set f 4:56 gears installed on my 13 Sahara JKU. I have a 2.5 inch suspension lift in the Jeep.When the Jeep first came back after the gear install, there was a vibration in the front end that we determined was caused by the front driveshaft (removed shaft, vibe gone). I sent it out to be rebalanced and it is now smooth. The pinion seal was leaking so we thought it was from the poorly balanced shaft so we replaced it the pinion seal. Now the new pinion seal is leaking again, but this time it only leaks at higher speed 55+mph.. Any thoughts? I checked the breather tube - it is not kinked or plugged. My gear guy has done may gear swaps and says they are set up perfectly. We just can't figure out why the pinion seal is still leaking. Any thoughts? I am tempted to buy a new Adams front driveshaft and see if a double cardigan helps. My other thought is to set up the Go-Pro camera underneath the Jeep and keep the lens pointed at the d-shaft/pinion area to see if we can visually catch something going on. Anyone else have this problem after a gear swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Rock God

SOME*** aftermarket seals do not include a ring of sealant around the OD of the seal. I put a small bead of gasket maker around the OD of the seal either way before I pound it in there. This "could" be your issue that the seal is leaking from where it seals on the housing and not the pinion. I have also had that little spring retainer that pulls the seal tight around the pinion come off and it caused one to leak.

The orange bead on the OD is what I am talking about. Its not there on all seals.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure he added a bead of sealer around it when he did it the 2nd time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Granite Guru

Was there a aftermarket front pinion Yoke installed to accommodate say a 1310 style ujoint end? If so its poss that the yoke is not the correct OD for the seal ID.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Did you seal the splines?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Wheeler

Your pinion may have never had its preload set right. This would cause it to vibrate and leak. Removing the drive shaft would stop it because there would be no load and no vibration. If you didn't hit your driveshaft I doubt it would go out of balance unless the u joints are worn or balance weights got thrown. Being that fixing the drive shaft didn't fix it. My guess is the shop botched the crush sleeve setting the preload. Set it to high and backed the nut off and reset it. But once the crush sleeve has been over crushed it is garbage and must be replaced. I'd bring it back to the shop that did the gearing and have them redo the crush sleeve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode