Cracked exhaust manifold on 3.8... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gt1guy
  • 1 Post By SoK66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cracked exhaust manifold on 3.8...

Have a ticking from what I believe is another cracked driver side exhaust manifold. Warranty is up on this one so it's on me.

Doing some research online I came across this:

"The exhaust systems on the JK Wranglers allow very little flex. This causes the forces that the exhaust sees from the engine torqueing to twist the exhaust system instead of allowing it to flex. Over time the weakest part of the exhaust system (the manifolds) fails, causing cracks to develop. It is highly recommend that a flex-pipe is installed into the down-pipe of exhaust system with the installation of replacement manifolds. This will allow the forces that the exhaust sees to be absorbed by the flex-pipe instead of passed onto the manifolds."

Seeing how stiff and long the y pipe is this makes sense to me. I don't want to keep installing exhaust manifolds on my dime now that warranty is up. I'm looking at a $90 doorman manifold and then having a couple of these flex pieces installed :

Was thinking in the 2 places I circled on blue, seems to be the only possibilities:

Was wondering if anyone else had done this? Or any other thoughts on it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Granite Guru

It's a good ideal but replacing a flex tube may cost as much as a manifold later on down the road.

Pissing off my wife since way back
post #3 of 7 Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb6700 View Post
It's a good ideal but replacing a flex tube may cost as much as a manifold later on down the road.

Pissing off my wife since way back
The flex tubes I'm seeing are between $13 and $20 depending on where I look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2017, 08:49 AM

The cracks develop over time due to the manifolds getting crystallized from excessive heat. These little motors work pretty hard to pull our Jeeps and the result is a lot of heat in these manifolds. The flex pipe might do something, but will not fix the cracking issue. I have changed a bunch of these and it is very common problem.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a hard time believing that the cast iron manifolds are the weakest part of the exhaust system. The rest of the system is thin walled tube.
aerojar likes this.

Kevin
post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2017, 11:54 AM

Believe it or not I am an engineer that used to design these flex couplings for the big three, also Toyota, Navistar, etc.

They are indeed meant to decouple the engine movement from the chassis. Every system is different but typical design parameters focused around XYZ movements, vibration dampening, thermal loads, and noise attenuation. The braid is there​ for abrasion resistance, strength, and dialing out any resonant frequencies.

Off the shelf can work for your application, but the lifespan will depend on all these characteristics of your exhaust system.

Definitely worth a try if your cracks are indeed related to the engine movement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 03-24-2017, 06:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I have a hard time believing that the cast iron manifolds are the weakest part of the exhaust system. The rest of the system is thin walled tube.

You won't be a non-believer if you examine one of these manifolds closely. The casting between the front two cylinders is very thin and eventually fails. Mine was broken there in two spots at about 48k miles. It's important not to over torque the two downpipe bolts at the manifolds. The joint there is not gasketed and designed to swivel. Bolt torque is only 20ft lbs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Biginboca likes this.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode