Brake Upgrade Kit Rehash - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Brake Upgrade Kit Rehash

There are several good threads on here about brake upgrades, but most of them havn't had posts recently. I was wondering if people with these different kits might have new insite or if one option is prefered.

From reading here, I was planning on going with the MOPAR kit part #P5160051, or the kit from Black Magic brakes, but am open to other ideas.

Questions:
1. Do I need to do the rear brakes as well too (some have posted that they end up burning through the stock ones if they just upgrade the front). Is there a MOPAR kit or parts that I can use for that?
2. Are the consumable components of the J8 style kit available in the US again?
3. Should I go ahead and change out the brake lines (145k miles)
4. Any other options that arn't stupid expensive?

Thanks for any feed back! Just installed a rubicon axle and swapped to 5.38 gear. Looking forward to wheeling in big bend soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Rock God

If I were to do it again I would go with the Mopar kit. You will appreciate any upgrade with larger tires and lower gears. I started out with the Dynatrac Pro-grip and it's better than stock for sure but still uses the stock single piston caliper and I was forced to upgrade wheels since these did not fit my 17" wheels. Then I added the Mopar J8 booster and m/c. Wow, what a difference!

steel-braided brakes lines are an excellent upgrade.

I installed the J8 upgrade along with UD60s on another Rubicon with 4.88s, 37s and it stops like a dream!

Another Rubicon I built in my group is still running stock brakes, 5.13s, and 37s. I cannot find a way to talk him into the brake upgrade yet it is scary to drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #3 of 11 Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
If I were to do it again I would go with the Mopar kit. You will appreciate any upgrade with larger tires and lower gears. I started out with the Dynatrac Pro-grip and it's better than stock for sure but still uses the stock single piston caliper and I was forced to upgrade wheels since these did not fit my 17" wheels. Then I added the Mopar J8 booster and m/c. Wow, what a difference!

steel-braided brakes lines are an excellent upgrade.

I installed the J8 upgrade along with UD60s on another Rubicon with 4.88s, 37s and it stops like a dream!

Another Rubicon I built in my group is still running stock brakes, 5.13s, and 37s. I cannot find a way to talk him into the brake upgrade yet it is scary to drive.
Just curious does your buddy have a 2dr or 4dr? Im running shitty autozone pads up front with hawk pads in the rear with powerstop rotors all around. No question my braking could be better on my somewhat heavy 2dr but it is far from scary to stop. I locked them up the other day actually avoiding an asian who stopped short in front of me. Damn near shit myself (I actually may of just a little) but the thing stopped on a dime in a pinch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Rock God

LOL, glad you avoided that one. I like Hawk pads and quickly replaced the junk Dynatrac sent.

All these Rubicons I mentioned are 4 doors with full armor and steal fenders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #5 of 11 Old 03-21-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! So the MOPAR kit and steel break lines? Do you think I need to do the rear ones as well since the MOPAR kit is only for the front?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Rock God

I have read (but no experience) that some with the Teraflex front only kit experienced some nose dive during hard braking but I have to give some benefit of doubt to MOPAR since their engineers have designed this kit with front only upgrade. I think it would be worth trying out and see what happens...especially since you have upgraded pads in the rear.

Northridge has Crowne extended performance brake lines front and rear for $131.

I'm about 70% on the way of talking 'scary jeep' into this kit as well. I'm hoping I get to install it soon as we can compare performance.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_things_fade View Post
There are several good threads on here about brake upgrades, but most of them havn't had posts recently. I was wondering if people with these different kits might have new insite or if one option is prefered.

From reading here, I was planning on going with the MOPAR kit part #P5160051, or the kit from Black Magic brakes, but am open to other ideas.

Questions:
1. Do I need to do the rear brakes as well too (some have posted that they end up burning through the stock ones if they just upgrade the front). Is there a MOPAR kit or parts that I can use for that?
2. Are the consumable components of the J8 style kit available in the US again?
3. Should I go ahead and change out the brake lines (145k miles)
4. Any other options that arn't stupid expensive?

Thanks for any feed back! Just installed a rubicon axle and swapped to 5.38 gear. Looking forward to wheeling in big bend soon.
Since the rear brakes can end up doing a lot of work just like the front brakes, it's always a good idea to upgrade the rear brakes with the fronts. This way you have no shortage of stopping power.

On brake lines, there are different schools of thought here. The big thing to keep in mind with whatever you buy, is that you don't want lines that will expand as the brakes are applied and pressure increases inside the lines. If the lines are expanding from brake pressure, this means the fluid pressure increase isn't going to the calipers to make them work.

Our ProGrip brake upgrade is one of the easiest upgrades to install, gives you an upgrade front and rear, and can be done by one person since you don't have to replace the calipers and open the hydraulic system, which then requires bleeding. Yes, you do reuse the stock calipers, but what the ProGrip kit does is give those stock calipers way more leverage on the axles to get things slowed down, stopped, and hold you there like on and incline/decline, by moving the calipers outward to fit the larger diameter rotors. This move is what helps give them more leverage, just like a longer handle ratchet/breaker bar will always give you more leverage versus a short handle one.

Adding to this is the specially formulated brake pads that come with the ProGrip kit, which also help with stopping power in a variety of wet and dry conditions. Yes, you do need at least 17-inch diameter wheels with ProGrip, but this really isn't an issue since the reason most people are looking to upgrade their brakes is because of installing larger wheels and tires.

You can learn more about the ProGrip system on our website https://www.dynatrac.com/brake-syste...e-jeep-jk.html along with links to different before/after tests that have been done.

Last edited by Dynatrac; 03-28-2017 at 01:18 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Snce 2011 I've run the TF BBK, originally with their upgrade master which is just the 2012 & newer stock unit. I got greatly improved stopping performance but rather long pedal travel. Last year I swapped in the Mopar BBK's master & booster kit and it's definitely the Guv'nor for firm pedal and increased stopping power. Adding one of the rear upgrade kits is probably a good idea if you're running 37"+. There's been a good running thread on the whole brake upgrade paths available. I started it here on the forum about three years ago, beginning with one of our club members who upgraded to the Mopar BR6 spec parts. A lot of twists & turns to get the parts, but she pulled it off. You can do just as well using TF's Big Rotor Kit. To get the rear brakes involved as well you can get TF's BRKs front & rear, or go for Dynatrac's kit, same thing. In both cases, and with the factorty BR6, the rotor(s) get an increase in diameter and then the caliper supports are extended. BR6 uses a different caliper, but it's essentially the same piston spec as the stock ones. To me the Mopar BBK, the whole enchilada with rotors, calipers, master & booster is the bargain of the lot and addresses the wimpy master cylinder & booster. The bigger you go in tire size & build weight the more the sketchy stock brakes become apparent.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 AM
Rock God

I have the Teraflex bbk that included the twin piston calipers. I like them, a lot. I have had people that have ridden in my jeep, and they have commented on how quickly, and well it stops. I have not changed the rear brakes at this point, although I probably will in the future. If and when that happens, I will likely go with Teraflex rear kit. I like being able to stop.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2017, 05:54 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have the Mopar kit with a teraflex kit in the rear. I'm very happy with it. Booster and MC install for the mopar kit was tough, though. I'm happy with how it stops, but there's a little more pedal travel than stock. I'm running 35s.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-30-2017, 01:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

BR6 in front and Teraflex BRK in rear. Stops very well, even with crappy budget O'Reilly pads in rear (Hawk LTS in front). I did have Hawk pads in rear until I upgraded to the larger rotors. Didn't have time to get them ordered in for the job so went with what was available.

The BR6 was the cheapest way to upgrade the front at the time I did it. Slow delivery on some parts, but hundreds less than the next cheapest option, so well worth the wait. I haven't priced the Mopar kit, but check the BR6 thread for part numbers and sources. You can google the PNs and find current pricing and sourcing. I'm betting it's significantly less than the Mopar kit.

I'm one of the ones who had dramatically increased wear in the rear with upgraded fronts only, so obviously for this and the reasons stated by others I would recommend you upgrade both ends. I have a 2012 Unlimited, fully armored, on 37s, and see no need to change master cylinders. As SoK66 noted, the TF MC is the same as the 2012 OEM, so no improvement. Maybe Mopar's is better, but I see no need to upgrade in my situation. At some point, "better" becomes nothing more than something to brag about. If you have a 2011 or older that might be another matter.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode