RCV grease alternative - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

RCV grease alternative

Ok since fucking RCV wants 40 bucks for a tube of their gold. What are you all using for a replacement for RCV grease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

i use theirs. At 2-3,maybe 4 squirts every 3000-5000 miles, it lasts a pretty good while. But, yeah. It is insane ho much ( and many) greases it requires to keep a OHV on highway and off collectively. I have 3 separate grease guns with crazy expensive RCV, Synergy Mfg and one with some redNtacky or the farm green loaded in one , each of the 3 of them, as I type this.

If you try to use an alternative, you probably wont save much. It'll be some high pressure,hi temp molybedenbumediumamum sh*t that costs an arm and a leg . Then they maybe can say no lifetime wrrnty?
Red Line 80401 CV-2 is one type that might be suitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
i use theirs. At 2-3,maybe 4 squirts every 3000-5000 miles, it lasts a pretty good while. But, yeah. It is insane ho much ( and many) greases it requires to keep a OHV on highway and off collectively. I have 3 separate grease guns with crazy expensive RCV, Synergy Mfg and one with some redNtacky or the farm green loaded in one , each of the 3 of them, as I type this.

If you try to use an alternative, you probably wont save much. It'll be some high pressure,hi temp molybedenbumediumamum sh*t that costs an arm and a leg . Then they maybe can say no lifetime wrrnty?
Me also. 3 grease guns, one with needle tip for RCV grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:

Looked at that one but it is red and I am sure that RCV would say no go on warranty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Rock God

I rebuilt mine last spring to the tune of almost $300 because explaining the clicking after spending over $1000 on axle shafts is almost embarrassing. They got enough grease that it'd be coming out the boots but still started clicking the second year.
Better not happen again for a long while.
post #6 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
I rebuilt mine last spring to the tune of almost $300 because explaining the clicking after spending over $1000 on axle shafts is almost embarrassing. They got enough grease that it'd be coming out the boots but still started clicking the second year.
they should have sent you free rebuild kits, without grease of course!
post #7 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
This is the #1 complaint for RCV shafts. You cant avoid it and they will start to click again. It's annoying AF.
post #8 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Rock God

They're considered a wear item, they're not broke so no warranty. I was told they wouldn't fail catastrophically before my last 30 hr trip to Moab which they didn't. They only click on tight turn in 4WD. Still annoying for $1000 + axle shafts but they're smooth. Look good with the Reid's also. I may consider them for the LJ build.
post #9 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Me also. 3 grease guns, one with needle tip for RCV grease.
I was gonna select ," Like" on this, but why the hell would I ; we need an ," i understand and share your misery" button, heh.
I sympathize!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
This is the #1 complaint for RCV shafts. You cant avoid it and they will start to click again. It's annoying AF.
it is just the balls clacking as the carrier inside rotates, yeah? I thought they were supposed to make a small amount of clack clack clack just by nature of design? .mine has a barely audible click when I manually rotate the wheel on jack-stand and diff not locked , but not when I am driving it.

If this subject is a whole can of worms, let's save it until Monday, agreed?

post #11 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
it is just the balls clacking as the carrier inside rotates, yeah? I thought they were supposed to make a small amount of clack clack clack just by nature of design? .mine has a barely audible click when I manually rotate the wheel on jack-stand and diff not locked , but not when I am driving it.

If this subject is a whole can of worms, let's save it until Monday, agreed?
Yes, you will feel or hear the balls moving inside the cage inside the joint as you turn the wheel by hand, with the vehicle on a jack of course. What happens is the ball bearings wear against the cage that retains them. As the tolerance increases, the noise increases. At some point they will fail as the ball will escape the cage and then it is a shit show. Or the cage will crack from the extra stress.

Personally, I will never buy another set of RCVs. They are too much hassle. They sling grease everywhere. They wear out. Replacing the cage and bearing is a PITA. And taking the axles in and out can cause a leak in the inner diff seals. Its just too much trouble. I like the strength. But the other crap you have to put up with is not worth it to me anymore. Next axle build will be chromo shafts.
post #12 of 37 Old 03-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Rock God

I use the RCV grease. Sure it's expensive but seriously man, after spending $1100 on shafts what's another $40, lol!?!? I'm still on my first tube of it after almost 4 years I don't think I'll be buying another one anytime soon either, just buy the grease they say and use it! You already made a heavy investment in the shafts why not protect it as best you can?

I have had my RCV's for like 60k miles. Greased 2-3 squirts every oil change, say 5k miles, and steering limited to less than 45 degrees per their instructions. No clicking yet. A couple months ago I got the red rancho knuckles and they won't limit the steering as much as what I had before. Hoping that the dreaded clicks don't start up now!

Overall I'm a happy camper with these shafts I have put them through their paces and they have delivered so far with no issues.

Last edited by Biginboca; 03-10-2017 at 03:46 PM.
post #13 of 37 Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Night, meet Day.
( those are about the two most opposite opinions of RCV shafts as is possible, heh.)

post #14 of 37 Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Night, meet Day.
( those are about the two most opposite opinions of RCV shafts as is possible, heh.)
Perhaps I was not clear. If someone wants / needs the extra strength and lifetime warranty (except for wear items) of the RCVs, then by all means. They generally hold up pretty well. But they are not a "forever" product. For me, I just want to try something a little less strong, (maybe, or maybe not) that does not require as much futzing with. I doubt I would ever break a chromo shaft.

I don't disagree that they are a great solution for some. Just know what you are getting into. Its not a buy it and forget about it product. I hope yours never start to click. You will see what I mean if they do.
post #15 of 37 Old 03-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
Perhaps I was not clear. If someone wants / needs the extra strength and lifetime warranty (except for wear items) of the RCVs, then by all means. They generally hold up pretty well. But they are not a "forever" product. For me, I just want to try something a little less strong, (maybe, or maybe not) that does not require as much futzing with. I doubt I would ever break a chromo shaft.

I don't disagree that they are a great solution for some. Just know what you are getting into. Its not a buy it and forget about it product. I hope yours never start to click. You will see what I mean if they do.
understood. Thanks for clarifying.

post #16 of 37 Old 03-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

so, I'm a pretty big proponent or fan of products by CRC . I sometimes feel that I bathe my Jeeps in 242 from them but that's not why I mention the brand ; I came across this and have no idea how much it costs but you can. I am sure I've seen this at O'Reiley's as well or maybe it was NAPA. Certainly worth looking at since Most of thier stuff is high quality but affordable,USMC

post #17 of 37 Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

I feel the same way, they nail you enough with the cost of the shafts, they have to quadruple the price of the grease also ? When I rebuilt my Warn winch, I called them to find out what grease I should use inside. They told me to get AeroShell grease,33MS. It's a synthetic grease for aircraft containing Molybdenum Disulfide. It's Mil grade and Nato grade. I doubt there is a better grease out there and it was a fraction of that price. I hate companies who nail you coming and going.
post #18 of 37 Old 03-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
I feel the same way, they nail you enough with the cost of the shafts, they have to quadruple the price of the grease also ? When I rebuilt my Warn winch, I called them to find out what grease I should use inside. They told me to get AeroShell grease,33MS. It's a synthetic grease for aircraft containing Molybdenum Disulfide. It's Mil grade and Nato grade. I doubt there is a better grease out there and it was a fraction of that price. I hate companies who nail you coming and going.
That grease is bad ass. I have a tube I used in rebuilding my warm winch. It appears to be thin for the application of RCV's. Either way I have used it on all kinds of stuff.
post #19 of 37 Old 03-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Granite Guru

I also have rcv shafts that click and it's definitely annoying. I did take the time to rebuild the drivers side with .001 bigger balls that rcv sent me and they still click... love how they perform, but not the noise they make. People look at my Jeep and ask if it's broke when off-roading all the time. Gets really annoying for the amount of money they cost.

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
post #20 of 37 Old 03-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Rock God

I was fortunate enough to learn of this upfront and never purchased them. I feel as if half the desire to own these for most folks is that little orange boot, lol. Otherwise is there really that much of an advantage from these to a good set of chromollys? Has there ever been a situation where the chromoly shaft couldn't hang but these could? There is already enough shit to mess with on a jeep as it is that the last thing I need is another specialty joint to keep grease in and have it cost a fortune on top of all that. Out of place noises bother the living shit out of me, I dont care how much stronger these are I would never run them for that reason alone. I would never be able to tell if its just normal or about to shit its guts out.
post #21 of 37 Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Rock God

There is absolutely no bind when fully turned and in 4WD with these axle shafts. The rebuilds are pricey and annoying as fuck for the cost. They also have cool shirts.
post #22 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I've been in situations with front turned by about 40į into an overhung ledge that was about a foot or two taller than my front tire/wheel and the RCVs didn't flinch when I moved it slowly but persistently frward and up over it.
I NEVER would have even attempted to surmount that large of an undercut or try to press into it that hard with ujointed shafts ,even chromoly with superjoints I would have squared up first .
That's the advantage, along with the orange boot ,to RCVs .

(The "orange boot " was me joking. Someone , I think k @ExWrench maybe ?, Painted their boots 'cuz they look showy and gai. )

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-13-2017 at 05:45 AM.
post #23 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 07:08 AM
Rock God

My LJ is Impact Orange, so was my 76 Trans Am (455 4 speed) miss that car sometimes.
post #24 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I've been in situations with front turned by about 40į into an overhung ledge that was about a foot or two taller than my front tire/wheel and the RCVs didn't flinch when I moved it slowly but persistently frward and up over it.
I NEVER would have even attempted to surmount that large of an undercut or try to press into it that hard with ujointed shafts ,even chromoly with superjoints I would have squared up first .
That's the advantage, along with the orange boot ,to RCVs .

(The "orange boot " was me joking. Someone , I think k @ExWrench maybe ?, Painted their boots 'cuz they look showy and gai. )
I missed that part about the boot. I have seen others going on about it though.

So someone correct me if I am way off here but isn't an RCV basically an rzeppa style joint? Why are they so strong in this configuration but not in a driveshaft?
post #25 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Rock God

The boots can't handle the RPM of the driveshafts.

I did a search for RCV problems the other day and a link to Pirate4x4 was very informative, with additional links within the thread that I clicked open. No one there is bashing RCVs. Well, that's not true. They're bashing the shit out of 'em on the trail, and the RCVs keep on rollin'. High speed desert, monster HP crawlers...things that couldn't possibly be legal anywhere but in competition.
What do they have to say about RCVs?
Don't over steer them.
That's it.
That's the only thing they have to say that could possibly even be remotely construed as negative.
Guys are blowin' out the cages, twisting shafts, whatever... RCV stands up with their warranty, no questions asked.
These guys go on to say there's no way in hell any other shaft would have survived, either, and more than likely would have broken many more times.
Bang for the buck? That's your call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode