Can 35s fit on stock Hard Rock - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Can 35s fit on stock Hard Rock

I have a stock 17 Hard Rock and was curious if I can fit 35s with no lift. I'm planning on adding flat fender flares like Poison spyder or metalcloak. I will also be running the stock wheels so I know I will need spacers, which I'm ok with. I just want to know if I will experience any rubbing without a lift. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Wheeler

I don't think you can get bigger than 32's on a stock jeep. Why use the stock wheels though?
post #3 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Wheeler

Yes they will fit with the flat fenders and doing a 1.5 or 1.75" spacer. Will want to add some additional bumpstop as well.

I ran like this for a short time while waiting for my lift to arrive; but it didn't get wheeled during that time (was maybe a week or so lapse). 315x70xr17 MTZ's, 1.75" spidertrax (just a hair smaller than a 35)

(Looks like I don't have enough posts to post pics yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 PM
pvanfab.com

I ran a 2" coil in the front (only gained an inch of actual lift after the steel bumper and winch)
315/70

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Granite Guru

Maybe you should try searching the forum first:

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum - Search Results for 35s

Which quickly found the following:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...sion-lcog.html
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...-door-35s.html

The JK platform has been around for years and most questions about fit of just about anything have already been asked and answered. All you need to do is search...
coilrod likes this.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
post #6 of 31 Old 03-10-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carse O'Mighty View Post
I don't think you can get bigger than 32's on a stock jeep. Why use the stock wheels though?
I want to keep the stock wheels as I like the way they look and I see no sense in spending money on something while i have 5 good wheels. If I were to ruin 2 of them I would be looking for aftermarket wheels
post #7 of 31 Old 03-10-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
Maybe you should try searching the forum first:

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum - Search Results for 35s

Which quickly found the following:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...sion-lcog.html
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...-door-35s.html

The JK platform has been around for years and most questions about fit of just about anything have already been asked and answered. All you need to do is search...
I searched and didn't see what I was looking. I see people asking of the stock JK/JKUs but nothing on a JKU Hard Rock. I didn't know if someone could offer more insight, like hey the HR bumpers weight more then other so you will rub and need a coil spacer, or if you remove your end caps you might be fine Also no you cant do it you need to have 3.5" lift. So if you could point me to some post with JKU Hard Rocks that would be great. Thank you for your advice. I will be looking in the mean time.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-10-2017, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

its ,like,every 6 months this gets asked .
lmgtfy: to search JKOwners , use the domain suffix as a google search (crawl)operator after your term being sought like this :
" Biggest Wheel and Tire Jeep JKU No Lift:jkowners.com " minus the quotes .
You can run 35s pretty much stock with at least 3.75" backspace aftermarket wheel or stock w spacers and only a leveling kit or trimmed fenders or flat aftermarket ones . This post caused me serious dejavu for some reason .
Your HardCock , er, I mean HardRock is just a model variant and has no different lift requirements to run a 35" than a Sport X or a Rubicon X or BlackBear the OscarMike or a Sahara Unlimited or an Arctic or a MOAB or the Chief ...all require . It's an uppackage . Search that term also , maybe?
It's Friday so I'll be super helpful to a new friend ; get Teraflex' leveling kit and some SpiderTrax or Synergy Mfg wheel spacers if you want to keep the stock Wheels and slap your 35s on it. If not level , smack another 1/2" spacer up front . I ran mine like that for 3-4 years with 35s after adding a heavier bumper +winch that I'm pretty certain was heavier than your HardRock HD bumper. Those others suggest end cap removal because you'll rub those when articulating off camber terrain...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-10-2017 at 07:20 AM.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-11-2017, 05:58 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh52382 View Post
I searched and didn't see what I was looking. I see people asking of the stock JK/JKUs but nothing on a JKU Hard Rock. I didn't know if someone could offer more insight, like hey the HR bumpers weight more then other so you will rub and need a coil spacer, or if you remove your end caps you might be fine Also no you cant do it you need to have 3.5" lift. So if you could point me to some post with JKU Hard Rocks that would be great. Thank you for your advice. I will be looking in the mean time.

I have a 2016 Hard Rock JKU with 35s. I ran it for a short period of time with no lift. It will rub the fenders occasionally. Flat fenders or 2.5" lift will be fine with 35s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Rubicon Hard Rock (Rocki)
OIIIIIIO

Custom fab front bumper/air tank, rear bumper/air tank with swing out tire carrier, 200psi air system, custom built relays and switchs, 10k winch, light bar, pods front and rear, 35x10.50/17 Super Swamper radials, 2.5Ē Clayton Off-road lift and too many others to list.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Granite Guru

I hgtd's my question. Thanks to who pointed me here. Search sucks on this forum, fyi. I tried many things that should have pulled this thread and got shit on seat covers and everything else....
coilrod likes this.

'12 White JKUR

Rugged Ridge Modular XD bumper w/9500 winch
2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #11 of 31 Old 04-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The "Google Custom Search" at the very top right usually finds what I'm looking for.

2009 JKU
post #12 of 31 Old 04-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Rock God

I get tired of all the self appointed search police. If you've got a question, ask it. Maybe someone will come along with an answer.

Yes, you can run 35s on a stock Hard Rock, or in my case a Rubicon Recon, which is pretty much the same thing. You don't need a leveling kit, and you don't need bump stop extensions. You do need to change the fender flares and run 1 1/2" wheel spacers. Here's my Rubicon Recon with 35s and no lift. It drives better than any lifted Jeep I've ever owned, and no tire rub.

Rubi-8, Alfie831, shep and 1 others like this.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 04-07-2017 at 09:58 PM.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-08-2017, 10:43 AM
yes, I have asperger's

sudo nohup ./j3ff3ry -teal -verbose > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
its ,like,every 6 months this gets asked .
When you drop an extra 5 bills on a fake hood, tub-mounted door dingers, lesbaru wheels and a bumper that has more places to hang shit than joan crawford's closet, you would *think* that the Hard Rock has unique magical tire-supporting capabilities, so yeah.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
I get tired of all the self appointed search police. If you've got a question, ask it. Maybe someone will come along with an answer.

Yes, you can run 35s on a stock Hard Rock, or in my case a Rubicon Recon, which is pretty much the same thing. You don't need a leveling kit, and you don't need bump stop extensions. You do need to change the fender flares and run 1 1/2" wheel spacers. Here's my Rubicon Recon with 35s and no lift. It drives better than any lifted Jeep I've ever owned, and no tire rub.

Haven't seen you post in a while. Did you sell the JK with the Dynatrac 60's under it?

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #15 of 31 Old 04-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Rock God

Yes, I got a great offer on it and sold it a year ago, and actually went for a year using other off road toys, and the wife's Jeep once in a while (lifted Grand Cherokee). It was the first time in 43 years that I had gone without a Jeep of my own to go back country exploring in, and it didn't work very well. Now I have the new Recon, and have really been enjoying it. I've decided I better just plan on having a Jeep from now on.

Did I mention I'm really enjoying this new Recon?

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #16 of 31 Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Wink

Quote:
Yes, I got a great offer on it and sold it a year ago, and actually went for a year using other off road toys, and the wife's Jeep once in a while (lifted Grand Cherokee). It was the first time in 43 years that I had gone without a Jeep of my own to go back country exploring in, and it didn't work very well. Now I have the new Recon, and have really been enjoying it. I've decided I better just plan on having a Jeep from now on.

Did I mention I'm really enjoying this new Recon?
Glad to hear it. You definitely have had some cool Jeeps. Especially the 6.4L.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Rock God

Thanks for the welcome back. I'm going through a keep it simple phase. The only mods planned on the Recon are already done, ... Mopar fender flares, 35s on the stock wheels, and a Warn winch. And I plan to wheel the piss out of it every chance I get.

post #18 of 31 Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarScramb View Post
I hgtd's my question. Thanks to who pointed me here. Search sucks on this forum, fyi. I tried many things that should have pulled this thread and got shit on seat covers and everything else....
Search DOES have usability gaps for sure. Usually I just google this format: do 35's fit no lift site:jkowners.com https://www.google.ca/search?q=do+35...obile&ie=UTF-8
And it's not annoying to help (or try to help) it's annoying that people don't try to search first, then narrow it with questions. Google sometimes returns with too much information for easy absorbtion.
GarScramb and Tspevacek like this.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #19 of 31 Old 04-10-2017, 08:27 PM

I'm running 35's with Metalcloak flares and a terraflex leveling kit with tons of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 31 Old 04-24-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:

Looks Good thanks for the tips
post #21 of 31 Old 08-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Teraflex leveling kit, flat fenders (bushwacker). Added one inch to the rear later to restore rake. Stock shocks. Goodyear MTR 35s
Heavy 11.5 superwinch, ps bumper and lower skid. Plenty of room.

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #22 of 31 Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
Teraflex leveling kit, flat fenders (bushwacker). Added one inch to the rear later to restore rake. Stock shocks. Goodyear MTR 35s
Heavy 11.5 superwinch, ps bumper and lower skid. Plenty of room.
Thanks.
post #23 of 31 Old 08-16-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfgjbq4 View Post
I'm running 35's with Metalcloak flares and a terraflex leveling kit with tons of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. Looks nice.
post #24 of 31 Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh52382 View Post
I have a stock 17 Hard Rock and was curious if I can fit 35s with no lift. I'm planning on adding flat fender flares like Poison spyder or metalcloak. I will also be running the stock wheels so I know I will need spacers, which I'm ok with. I just want to know if I will experience any rubbing without a lift. Thanks for the help.
Yes, with flat fenders and wheel spacers 35s fit just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Your HardCock , er, I mean HardRock is just a model variant and has no different lift requirements to run a 35" than a Sport X or a Rubicon X or BlackBear the OscarMike or a Sahara Unlimited or an Arctic or a MOAB or the Chief ...all require . It's an uppackage . Search that term also , maybe?
Actaully they are different than other models of the JK/JKU. The spring rate is higher, different angles on the bumpers as well as shorter rock sliders net more clearance in the fender wells for larger tires. Don't believe me? Go to the nearest Jeep dealer and see for yourself the Hardrock/Recon sits taller than the Rubicon and even more than a Sport/Sahara.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #25 of 31 Old 08-17-2017, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
Yes, with flat fenders and wheel spacers 35s fit just fine.

Actaully they are different than other models of the JK/JKU. The spring rate is higher, different angles on the bumpers as well as shorter rock sliders net more clearance in the fender wells for larger tires. Don't believe me? Go to the nearest Jeep dealer and see for yourself the Hardrock/Recon sits taller than the Rubicon and even more than a Sport/Sahara.
sure, I follow ya @Rubi-8
My '11 Unlimited was a one- off Sahara ( I've told this story several times on here on other threads) that some customer ordered from dealer with tow package, the 4.10 option , LSD out back and some rubi shocks ...all for towing , I presume. They never picked it up , lost a deposit and by then the '12s were a business quarter away from arriving so they wanted this red headed stepchild Sahara Unlimited that was even marked up more than the other overpriced Sahara Unlimiteds were off the lot. My wonderfully haggling/bartering skilled wife haggled and got them down to the point they were just wanting us to leave , lol. So we got a ridiculous deal on a jeep we could |would never have considered paying what they were asking initially for less than a Sport X '12 but with all that lux crap ( most removed , ironically,by now, ha!) bulked up , odd Sahara that due to the 19/60 springs from a rubi and the shocks sat higher than the other saharas on the lot. Noticeable.
So, I am aware that certain models can be setup for max offroad . Sounds like a dedicated package with the hard rock as you pointed out. I recall the advert showing pre-shortened rockrails and pinch seams as well as the heaviest of the coils offered but did not know the depart-approach angles had been modified. Did it still have the bash bar and air valiance ? If so, those are the main impediments for approach angle , not the bumper as much....and I can't run the hitch on back as it was just a skid plate on mine.
I was just smartassedly confirming that only nominal modification should be needed to run 35s on the vehicle is all.

(edit: sorry, OP: didn't mean to hijack)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-17-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode