Exposed Vacuum pump/ Fog lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By tapcola

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-03-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Exposed Vacuum pump/ Fog lights

I put on a new bumper and now my vacuum pump and stock fog light connectors are exposed. If the winch will still fit, is there any concern with these being exposed to the elements? See picture for more detail.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I can suggest that you slather them with liquid electrical tape ( I have) and it won't make any difference. I do that kinda shit cause I am OCD. The driving/fogs and pump should be ok with the waterproof connectors they have but if you really want to prevent any access by H2O you can coat them with it ( I would just coat the electrical connector on vacuum pump ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Rock God

Does that winch plate just stick out like that with no other bracing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Does that winch plate just stick out like that with no other bracing?

It's attached to the bumper in 2 spots. It came attached already.

I can't post the link but this is the bumper on amazon:

Restyling Factory 07-17 Jeep Wrangler JK Rock Crawler Front Bumper With Fog Lights Hole & Built In Winch Plate -Textured (Black)
post #5 of 12 Old 03-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Rock God

Does that winch mount have reinforcement gusseting underneath or is it just a bent plate welded on each end?

For the lighting, it looks like a winch could interfere with the plugs. If it does, there are foglight bulbs available with 90ļ plug housings.

I wouldn't worry about the weather but liquid tape or dielectric grease does give peace of mind.

There are "brake booster relocation kits" available and/or, you can DIY - there will be wiring required. The kits are easy, inexpensive and can include the necessary wiring. Look at TeraFlex for an example.

Smittybuilt XRC? SB hasn't had the greatest reputation for finish in the past. Hopefully that's no longer an issue cuz that's a nice looking bumper.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 PM
Rock God

boom Amazon.com!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
j3ff3ry_j33p and Jkbroc like this.

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #7 of 12 Old 03-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Does that winch mount have reinforcement gusseting underneath or is it just a bent plate welded on each end?

For the lighting, it looks like a winch could interfere with the plugs. If it does, there are foglight bulbs available with 90ļ plug housings.

I wouldn't worry about the weather but liquid tape or dielectric grease does give peace of mind.

There are "brake booster relocation kits" available and/or, you can DIY - there will be wiring required. The kits are easy, inexpensive and can include the necessary wiring. Look at TeraFlex for an example.

Smittybuilt XRC? SB hasn't had the greatest reputation for finish in the past. Hopefully that's no longer an issue cuz that's a nice looking bumper.

^ X2 what Fred said.
May I add advice to his accurate comment?
On the subject of the bumper's powder-coating/finish & it not maybe not providing longevity; I sggt while it's new/now that it is the time to begin good habits with that new part that help avoid bad experiences down the road

Go to your Amazon WishList and add a product called 'FluidFilm' in aerosol cans to your List of faves and cart. That way, once your winch and everything is installed & you dowse the entirefront clip in the FluidFilm and never have to worry about thin watercolor powdercoating permitting rust development or logging-on to jkowners to ask "why is my bumper rusting like this?" & having us tell you you should have used FluidFilm.

just sayin'*

welcome to jkowners.

(* someone said the word" Smittybilt" and I answered automatically about FluidFilm. Not raggin on anyone or any product at all)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Rock God

They were already exposed to the elements. Everything is going to get wet at 70mph in the rain.

That being said, I would relocate the vacuum pump to under the hood, probably not much you can do about the fogs.

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2017, 01:55 AM
Random Dude

I would not put a winch on that bumper, but my opinion is based only on the low-resolution photo attached below.

If that winch mount plate is not gusseted underneath, it may collapse or at least bend.
If some political prisoner was not good at welding, the winch may pull that bumper off its brackets.

If you could take pics of the back side of the bumper, we can all argue about how many nuns a winch pull would kill

I seriously hope it's safe for winch use, but I would not assume that it is. Safety is no accident.
Attached Images

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
I would not put a winch on that bumper, but my opinion is based only on the low-resolution photo attached below.

If that winch mount plate is not gusseted underneath, it may collapse or at least bend.
If some political prisoner was not good at welding, the winch may pull that bumper off its brackets.

If you could take pics of the back side of the bumper, we can all argue about how many nuns a winch pull would kill

I seriously hope it's safe for winch use, but I would not assume that it is. Safety is no accident.
Good point. That thing has some terrible design.

What brand is it? smittybilt?

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
post #11 of 12 Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post

shit. I missed this response, Ex. Wow, if that is the back /innards of the OPs bumper in question that @ExWrench posted a photo of, yeah, that is not safe to hold a winch other than maybe a small suckdown. Even then, no manner of load should be asked of that unless fortification takes place first. I honestly did not look at more than the foglights in the image when I replied originally. good catch.

post #12 of 12 Old 03-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
shit. I missed this response, Ex. Wow, if that is the back /innards of the OPs bumper in question that @ExWrench posted a photo of, yeah, that is not safe to hold a winch other than maybe a small suckdown. Even then, no manner of load should be asked of that unless fortification takes place first. I honestly did not look at more than the foglights in the image when I replied originally. good catch.
I hope my suspicion is wrong, but all I know is this tiny Batarang photo from . . .

. . . Super Good Strong Bumper Company (and Correctional Facility )?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
What brand is it? smittybilt?
. . . "close enough"

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode