Rear Long-arm Suspension Binding!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-01-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rear Long-arm Suspension Binding!!!

So, 3 years ago I bought a JKU that has a BDS 6" long arm kit on it, it rides great on the road and has done great off road.

In 20k miles, 2 major weekend wheeling trips and a handful of local off road playing I have rebuilt the joints twice.......

Last month I ripped off the rear upper axle bracket while playing on some local property with some fairly aggressive boulders and flexing terrain.
I replaced both factory upper axle brackets with Artec brackets (great pieces!!). Since the repair we decided to put the jeep on the RTI ramp and noticed that the rear axle will not fully ''STUFF" either rear tire, one at a time of course. The suspension is in such a bind when its flexing that it stops 3-4" short of hitting the bump stops. I took the springs and shocks out so I could cycle the suspension and the suspension will not flex with a floor jack on one end of the axle. I had to remove one upper control arm in order to get any articulation. Something is bound up bad, NO WONDER IT FINALLY RIPPED A BRACKET OFF!!!

Who else has seen rear suspension binding???

2007 JKU, BDS long-arm 6", 37's

'07 JKU, 37's, Long-armed, Gently Mistreated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Isnt the BDS a 4 link in back? That is what is causing your suspension bind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Just because it is a 4 link has nothing to do with bind, it is because of the geometry of that kit along with joints that don't have enough misalignment in them.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Just because it is a 4 link has nothing to do with bind, it is because of the geometry of that kit along with joints that don't have enough misalignment in them.
You are correct. I should have been more specific in that BDS's kit has all 4 arms out boarded with significantly shorter uppers. The geometry of this 4 link and not the fact that it is a 4 link alone is the issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode