Automatic to Manual - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Automatic to Manual

Exactly what the title states. I'm taking my auto trans out and replacing it with a manual. I've got everything to do it, BUT I'm wondering about the PCM....Do I just need that flashed by the dealer or would Diablo or Superships work?

Side note...anyone ever do a AAM swap? Just curious.

IG: @Freespirit_JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Wheeler

I am working on the AAM 9.25&10.5 swap currently. Seems like a nice fit. As for your ECM I think you will need a manual ECM(3 plugs only) and have your vin, SKIM etc flashed in. Contact A2 speed about this. Maybe they can change yours to manual. I am swapping my manual to auto so have been in conversation with them on similar matters
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
I am working on the AAM 9.25&10.5 swap currently. Seems like a nice fit. As for your ECM I think you will need a manual ECM(3 plugs only) and have your vin, SKIM etc flashed in. Contact A2 speed about this. Maybe they can change yours to manual. I am swapping my manual to auto so have been in conversation with them on similar matters
Awesome! Now you're the only person I've come across who is going AAM. Hell its equal to a 60 and 14 bolt so why not?

I'll check them out. Every conversation I've come across regarding that sway for 07-11 has said to leave the auto plug removed from the transmission and the ECM will relearn itself in about 40 miles. This makes me nervous

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2017, 04:44 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespirit_JKU View Post
Awesome! Now you're the only person I've come across who is going AAM. Hell its equal to a 60 and 14 bolt so why not?

I'll check them out. Every conversation I've come across regarding that sway for 07-11 has said to leave the auto plug removed from the transmission and the ECM will relearn itself in about 40 miles. This makes me nervous
What AAM are you referring to? I think most everyone doing a JK rear axle swap is using a 2000-2006 Chevy AAM 10.5. Chevy switched from the Corporate to AAM around 2000. That said, the GM version retained much of what made the "Corporate" 14 bolt a better axle and that is the 3rd pinion support. The GM version is absolutely a stronger design than the Dodge version.

If you are referring to the Dodge AAM 10.5, the reasons no one uses them is that they cost a lot more, there is no aftermarket (gears, lockers, axle shafts, etc), and it is a weaker axle than a GM 10.5 (and front Ford D60, especially now that you can use the 10" ring gear). Dodge also stopped using free spin front axles (locking hubs are one if the main reasons people get 1 ton axles). A lot of the 2500/3500 Ram owners are spending $2,000 for front free-spin kits... There isn't a shop or person out there who knows more about JK swap axles than us and we did our homework on the Dodge axles. There is not one reason we can come up with that they make sense.

As for the trans swap, there is a good thread somewhere on this site where a shop did it. They had some gremlins after doing it and it was more complicated than just getting a flash done. You should be able to find it fairly easily with a little searching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2017, 07:32 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespirit_JKU View Post
Exactly what the title states. I'm taking my auto trans out and replacing it with a manual. I've got everything to do it, BUT I'm wondering about the PCM....Do I just need that flashed by the dealer or would Diablo or Superships work?

Side note...anyone ever do a AAM swap? Just curious.
I can help you out. Gimme me a call at the shop some time. 205-631-8225 Jon
I will be at KOH next week so try to catch me before or after.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #6 of 7 Old 02-02-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4 View Post
What AAM are you referring to? I think most everyone doing a JK rear axle swap is using a 2000-2006 Chevy AAM 10.5. Chevy switched from the Corporate to AAM around 2000. That said, the GM version retained much of what made the "Corporate" 14 bolt a better axle and that is the 3rd pinion support. The GM version is absolutely a stronger design than the Dodge version.

If you are referring to the Dodge AAM 10.5, the reasons no one uses them is that they cost a lot more, there is no aftermarket (gears, lockers, axle shafts, etc), and it is a weaker axle than a GM 10.5 (and front Ford D60, especially now that you can use the 10" ring gear). Dodge also stopped using free spin front axles (locking hubs are one if the main reasons people get 1 ton axles). A lot of the 2500/3500 Ram owners are spending $2,000 for front free-spin kits... There isn't a shop or person out there who knows more about JK swap axles than us and we did our homework on the Dodge axles. There is not one reason we can come up with that they make sense.

As for the trans swap, there is a good thread somewhere on this site where a shop did it. They had some gremlins after doing it and it was more complicated than just getting a flash done. You should be able to find it fairly easily with a little searching.
The AAM I'm doing is the 9.25 front and 11.5 rear. And I'm finding lockers and gears for them. There isn't a lot of manufacturers but they are out there

post #7 of 7 Old 02-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

I've read the thread, but I don't see where you mentioned what year jk you have? PCM will be different based on that as well.

There is no such thing as "one too many" ... and there is no such thing as a "finished jeep" project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode