Drop down stinger tire carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Drop down stinger tire carrier

Finally got it finished. Holds my 38.5x15.5x18 Nitto's like a glove. Took forever to find something I could make work. The damn Nitto's are too heavy to lift on my own, so I wanted something swing down.

For all those wondering:
Poison spider TJ drop down stinger kit (no lift)
AVE Builders corners
Maxxima LED tail lights.

$1100 total cost. Maybe $1150 with some paint and misc pieces I had laying around.

Good leaders are scarce, so I am following myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Wheeler

Looks good! If I weren't doing an axle I'd be looking to do this. Full write up coming?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 02:23 PM
pvanfab.com

nice work! i have always loved seeing swing downs on Jeeps.
i will be curious of how it works out over time. Have you flexed with it yet? i had purchased steel, bushings, etc to make a drop down a few years ago, after seeing a guy Bruce in canada that was making and selling aluminum swing downs. The one thing that is different from a TJ to a JK is how much the body and frame flex differently, creating pressure on two outside body mounts. He had designed a singular mounting point in the center of the tailgate, so the carrier could be fixed at the frame but pivot on the top side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanweelden View Post
nice work! i have always loved seeing swing downs on Jeeps.
i will be curious of how it works out over time. Have you flexed with it yet? i had purchased steel, bushings, etc to make a drop down a few years ago, after seeing a guy Bruce in canada that was making and selling aluminum swing downs. The one thing that is different from a TJ to a JK is how much the body and frame flex differently, creating pressure on two outside body mounts. He had designed a singular mounting point in the center of the tailgate, so the carrier could be fixed at the frame but pivot on the top side.
Thanks! Put about 14 hours of time into it.
I have flexed it till the tires rub on my inadequate fenders (lol) at full droop and did not see any issues with body to frame spacing. I went with the AVE builders corners to help spread the load out over more of the body that way too. There is a little bit of clunking due to the steel inserts in the bushings, but I think there is room to put the tail gate rubber isolators from the original OEM tire mount into the upper mount locations with a little trimming. Of course this project is 98% done and there are a bunch of little things to wrap up. Need to route the license plate lights and 3rd brake light mount.... Going to need a backup camera for rear view as I cant see squat out the back now!

post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 03:40 PM
pvanfab.com

^ thanks! glad it is working out ok.
if the stock tailgate isolators arent long enough- there are the Daystars for $20

have you given any thought to adding some rotopax? you might be able to squeeze two side x side between the tire and back glass or on the sides of the upper arm of the carrier.

heres some info on wiring for the 3rd brake light/license plate for the ORO led if you need it-

JK- adding led 3rd brake light/ license plate to spare tire location
Use the 2 wires from existing 3rd brake light plus you will need to run 1 wire either thru the tailgate or under right rear to the right rear taillight
Factory white/yellow tracer is brake light positive- ORO red wire
Factory black wire is ground- ORO black wire
New wire to taillight white/purple tracer is parking light- ORO green wire
post #6 of 9 Old 01-27-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No room for rotopax, unless I put them outboard of the tire. There is about and inch between the tire and tailgate. When I did the initial test fits, I was anticipating trimming off some of the frame to pull the carrier and tire in closer, but it turns out I didn't need to. I had to extend the upper arm mounts out a bit farther than I liked, but I guess that is the sacrifice I have to make for having such wide tires.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Rock God

Brotacular!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Rock God

Turned out real nice!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Wheeler

Are you still running this and how are you liking it? I'm considering mocking up something similar but if the to version can be adapted to fit id much rather run that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode