RK 3.5 X factor extremely stiff - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 01-24-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

RK 3.5 X factor extremely stiff

Installed a new triple rate RK 3.5 X factor with the RRD reservoir shocks on a 2014 2 door soft top. The shocks are supposed to be valved for 2 door. with 35x12.5 r15 copper stt pro at 29 psi. Jeep has CC front and rear bumpers, and skids with ace engineering rock rails. Alignment is slightly toe in with 4.5 caster.

The first set of shocks were actually built incorrectly and wouldn't cycle past 2 inches period. RK acknowledged that they had built a few set of shocks incorrectly and immediately sent me a set to swap them out.

Even with the new shocks installed It's riding horribly stiff, especially in the rear. Even bombing down fire roads at 35 mph and off shoot trails with 6-8 inch drops at 20+ mph I can't get the rear shocks to cycle more than 2.5-3 inches. I can get the fronts to compress to the bump stops but not the rears.

I have loosened and retorqued all upper and lower torque arms to ensure there is no binding.

It rides harsher than a desert pre runner set up for high speed whoops.

Anyone have any luck revalving RRD shocks to work with the triple rate springs on a 2 door?

Or am I back to looking for softer springs and then dialing in the shock valving for the softer springs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

"valved for a 2 door" I never knew you valved a shock for how many doors it has.

Have you checked that nitrogen pressure? Any photos or a build thread that shows your shock and bump stop set up?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
"valved for a 2 door" I never knew you valved a shock for how many doors it has.
Come on man. lmao Must you pick apart everyone's post due to their choice of words? I'm surprised you didn't recommend he custom build a double triangulated suspension system to fix the issue.
ALASHA and Rubi-8 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

its called humor. I guess I should put a smiley face after my comment. If you actually have seen my recommendations I typically tell people to keep it low and no bigger then 35's.

I see you are offering a lot of help with the question.

Some build info here:

post #5 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:19 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle55 View Post
Installed a new triple rate RK 3.5 X factor with the RRD reservoir shocks on a 2014 2 door soft top. The shocks are supposed to be valved for 2 door. with 35x12.5 r15 copper stt pro at 29 psi. Jeep has CC front and rear bumpers, and skids with ace engineering rock rails. Alignment is slightly toe in with 4.5 caster.

The first set of shocks were actually built incorrectly and wouldn't cycle past 2 inches period. RK acknowledged that they had built a few set of shocks incorrectly and immediately sent me a set to swap them out.

Even with the new shocks installed It's riding horribly stiff, especially in the rear. Even bombing down fire roads at 35 mph and off shoot trails with 6-8 inch drops at 20+ mph I can't get the rear shocks to cycle more than 2.5-3 inches. I can get the fronts to compress to the bump stops but not the rears.

I have loosened and retorqued all upper and lower torque arms to ensure there is no binding.

Anyone have any luck revalving RRD shocks to work with the triple rate springs on a 2 door?

Or am I back to looking for softer springs and then dialing in the shock valving for the softer springs?

Sir

Stick to working with Chad. He will get you taken care of!

Yes, we do valve our shocks specifically for 2 door and 4 door applications...
post #6 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Rock God

How many valves do I need for this bad boy

Dirtman you really need to incorporate smileys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kjeeper10 likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM
JKO Addict!

I would assume a shock "valved" for 2 door, meanings softer due to the weight difference. Honestly ive read both sides with the RRD's .. Love and hate as far as ride. Or after a re-valve the person likes them. The issue ride is subjective for the most part and no 2 jeeps are built the same. Instead of just assuming the Valving is right i would make sure the manufacture knew what im looking for and how much weight im running.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #8 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Granite Guru

If you revalve it too soft, won't that affect how much you're bouncing around when you start to try climbing some stuff?

||||||| 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks
post #9 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Yes, weight is one of the factors. It really has nothing to do with how many doors you have. A fully armored 2 door on 40's and tons is going to be valved different then a stock 4 door, but also will be different then a stock 2 door. Your "special" valving is really just a generic valving for a range of JK's like every other manufacturer that uses JK valved in their marketing.

Some build info here:

post #10 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
If you revalve it too soft, won't that affect how much you're bouncing around when you start to try climbing some stuff?
Maybe if you are doing the climbing at speed but in rock crawling a soft compression rate will allow your coils to compress faster allowing your suspension to articulate while keeping the body more level.

The OP is talking about running fast (sort of) which will take a stiffer compression and faster rebound to deep the tires on the ground and keep the suspension from bottoming out.

Running 20 mph over roughs with go fast valved shocks is going to be rough. You need more speed to make the suspension work right. Get up to 45-50 mph and it will likely smooth out.

Some build info here:

post #11 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yes, weight is one of the factors. It really has nothing to do with how many doors you have. A fully armored 2 door on 40's and tons is going to be valved different then a stock 4 door, but also will be different then a stock 2 door. Your "special" valving is really just a generic valving for a range of JK's like every other manufacturer that uses JK valved in their marketing.

Like mid arms right ? :rofl: (a joke)

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

As long as it is "upgradeable"
kjeeper10 likes this.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM
JKowners Vendor

Just for your reference, the ride rate on the fronts for you is 155 lb/in and the rear is 170 lb/in.

If you don't have a full size spare, tire carrier etc on the back that our typical customer has, then the rear shocks might be a little on the firm side since you have no weight to make them move.
post #14 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
How many valves do I need for this bad boy

Dirtman you really need to incorporate smileys

Now that is funny... We would have to spring and valve that bad as a one off....
post #15 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Sorry, it is just convenient to use 2 door and 4 door as that is the easiest for customers to understand... And yes, it is weight and vehicle dynamic related.

We actually do have (2) valving profiles for 2 door and 4 door applications.
post #16 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
. The issue ride is subjective for the most part and no 2 jeeps are built the same. Instead of just assuming the Valving is right i would make sure the manufacture knew what im looking for and how much weight im running.

I calling 100% bullshit.. Just take a look at the gayalife gang, they're all identical.

tapcola likes this.
post #17 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I calling 100% bullshit.. Just take a look at the gayalife gang, they're all identical.

Well thats easy. RK develop a wankerlife clone valve stack ... Done LOL

post #18 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle55 View Post

Are you running the CC skinny rear bumper? Are you running a spare? If not that's a very light rear end. Hopefully RK can valve the shocks for that light weight
post #19 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 02:38 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Are you running the CC skinny rear bumper? Are you running a spare? If not that's a very light rear end. Hopefully RK can valve the shocks for that light weight
That is not a problem at all!
post #20 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Granite Guru

You can pull the rear shocks and drive around a bit to isolate the feeling imparted by the dampers. I haven't heard of anyone revalving the RRD shocks since they have a unique diameter.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #21 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 03:05 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:

That is cause if you don't like it, they give you the boot!

RK
post #22 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Like mid arms right ? :rofl: (a joke)

Shlongs!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
kjeeper10 likes this.

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #23 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Come on man. lmao Must you pick apart everyone's post due to their choice of words? I'm surprised you didn't recommend he custom build a double triangulated suspension system to fix the issue.
I knew he was being sarcastic, I just used the same verbiage RK uses since I don't know their exact compression and rebound valving.
post #24 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Sir

Stick to working with Chad. He will get you taken care of!

Yes, we do valve our shocks specifically for 2 door and 4 door applications...
Trying to...
post #25 of 32 Old 01-25-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Agreed, and that is why I gave the specifics of this build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode