Brake issue.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Brake issue..

On my 07 I have a brake problem. The pedal won't return. I have replaced all the calipers, master cylinder and booster....Anyone have this problem? They have been bled multiple times with every method anyone has thought of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Rock God

What's your engine vacuum look like ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 11:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
On my 07 I have a brake problem. The pedal won't return. I have replaced all the calipers, master cylinder and booster....Anyone have this problem? They have been bled multiple times with every method anyone has thought of...
Sounds like the piston in the master cylinder stuck. You said it was a new master cylinder?

Can you grab the peddle with your hands and jerk it back up?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes I can pull it back up. 2 new master cylinders. Both have the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's not the master cylinder.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Vacuum is good. Everything else works fine and it still does it when not running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
What's your engine vacuum look like ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Rock God

Not to insult anyone but are you fully bench bleeding the master prior to installing it?
Another thing to look at is up on the top of the brake pedal to see if there is a return spring that maybe is popped off? not sure if the JK even has one.....Just a thought
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
Not to insult anyone but are you fully bench bleeding the master prior to installing it?
Another thing to look at is up on the top of the brake pedal to see if there is a return spring that maybe is popped off? not sure if the JK even has one.....Just a thought
The spring is inside the booster housing. There is a potential this spring broke or slid off to the side during install. It is tight quarters in there. Another possibility is the master cylinder did not line up with the brake pedal rod (I have done this before).

Otherwise it sounds like the booster if the pedal does not return.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Rock God

I have never pulled a JK master cylinder, was not sure on the return spring set up but that sounds as an issue, the miss alignment of the push rod really sounds along the lines of the issue, seeing the European type construction of most things on these it is highly likely or it is not fully contacting the master, I know most of the BMWs have a preload set on the pushrod. Not sure if this is a completely similar set up or not.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
The spring is inside the booster housing. There is a potential this spring broke or slid off to the side during install. It is tight quarters in there. Another possibility is the master cylinder did not line up with the brake pedal rod (I have done this before).

Otherwise it sounds like the booster if the pedal does not return.
Two boosters same issue. Took it to the dealer they said booster. Put a new one in and it still does it. They checked and said it's property installed. They think it could be a bad brake line somewhere? But since when it happens all 4 brakes are locked it dosent make sense to me? The only thing I haven't replaced is the ABS distribution block, and I don't want to throw more parts at it.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Why did you have to change all these parts out in the first place?

Do you still have the stock master and booster to see if they fix the sticking?

Kevin
post #11 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Why did you have to change all these parts out in the first place?

Do you still have the stock master and booster to see if they fix the sticking?
Originally when the problem started I thought I had a caliper hanging up. I needed new brakes anyway so I put on all new calipers and pads. After that I still had the issue. I put a new master cylinder on thinking that was the culprit. Nothing changed....At that point it was kind of intermittent. Then when it got worse I put a booster in (after the dealer told me that was the issue). Then I thought it had to be the master cylinder since it seamed to get better for a short time after the first swap out (probably a delusion by me). I have all of the new and old parts. No matter whitch if anything I put on I still have the issue. They lock up completely and the jeep will not move. Pull up on the pedal with my tie and away I go....
post #12 of 12 Old 08-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Originally when the problem started I thought I had a caliper hanging up. I needed new brakes anyway so I put on all new calipers and pads. After that I still had the issue. I put a new master cylinder on thinking that was the culprit. Nothing changed....At that point it was kind of intermittent. Then when it got worse I put a booster in (after the dealer told me that was the issue). Then I thought it had to be the master cylinder since it seamed to get better for a short time after the first swap out (probably a delusion by me). I have all of the new and old parts. No matter whitch if anything I put on I still have the issue. They lock up completely and the jeep will not move. Pull up on the pedal with my tie and away I go....
Timmy,

You figure this out? I am having this same exact issue now. When I apply the brakes they stay on. I can pull the pedal up with my toe and the brakes release. When there's no vacuum (engine not running) they return fine. I am assuming it's a broken return spring in the booster? I haven't had it apart. It just started happening...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode