Can we discuss Rare Parts Ball Joints... again - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Can we discuss Rare Parts Ball Joints... again

Looking for some fresh input on the rare parts/sky jacker ball joints. I found a thread on them but it hasn't been updated and the longest someone on there had them was 7k miles.

I've had synergy ones for 50k miles on 37's and they are not completely shot, I think because I'm not running extremely low backspacing I'm at 4.5" with my 37's. I wouldn't even be looking to change mine yet but I'm getting ready to install some of the Rancho High Steer knuckles Santa brought me so might as well do the ball joints while I'm in there, right?

So that being the case I'm looking at Pro Steers for $500, Rare Parts for $600, or just doing another set of synergy (or teraflex/alloy/etc) for $200.

Hydro assist is pending this year don't know if that affects the decision. Thoughts?

Last edited by Biginboca; 01-03-2017 at 02:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 04:54 AM
Rock God

I would be looking at hydro assist way before I looked at $600 ball joints. Hydro assist is an awesome upgrade, that if you're anything like me, will give you a some-what butterfly feeling of happiness. Ball joints are just that, ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 05:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Can we discuss Rare Parts Ball Joints... again

Fusion last i checked had the best price on them.

Whats more concerning is Synergy joints have Knurls. This can open the holes and cause the new joints to fit loosely. Recently there was a thread discussing this and a few people had issues. DT will sell knurled joints for $50 if you run into that problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers

Last edited by kjeeper10; 01-03-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
I would be looking at hydro assist way before I looked at $600 ball joints. Hydro assist is an awesome upgrade, that if you're anything like me, will give you a some-what butterfly feeling of happiness. Ball joints are just that, ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
very sound advice ; if I had new knuckles , I'd throw some Synergy in them and spend the big bucks on the ram system to assist steering . Only my .02 but after breaking a steering gear once , I don't wanna do so again ...I do have the insintive of having replaced the busted OEM steering gearbox w/ the PSC tapped and hydraulic ready one , tho ...

to be fair, the rare parts BJ tech does seem viable in its means of load handling versus reg , non $600 balljoints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hydro Assist is next mod for this year. I'm definitely headed there, and doing ball joints will not affect that.... I'm just wondering what I should do about my balls lol!
post #6 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

I have the DT ProSteers and have had great experience with them. I started with the older DT Prosteer design. I had an issue after a few years of use with the inner teflon liner crumbling and Dynatrac was TOTALLY STAND UP! They stood behind the joints and worked with me to upgrade to the newer design, even when they were out of warranty. I recommend them as a company as well as a good part mfg.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...

I have no experience with the RareParts Joints, but the clearance differences would worry me personally with as long as it took to dial my set up in correctly. The engineering makes complete sense and I like that the top joint mounts in from the bottom and uses threads to keep tight.

But again, no experience with the RareParts style joints here, just online reading, Im sticking with Dynatrac because of how good they are to deal with directly and my own personal experience...
post #7 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 AM
JKO Addict!

A while ago I heard NAPA sold greasable ball joints for the JK. I never confirmed but if that is the case, buy a pair of those and grease regularly. It will save you a ton over the other options and allow for a replacement more readily

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
A while ago I heard NAPA sold greasable ball joints for the JK. I never confirmed but if that is the case, buy a pair of those and grease regularly. It will save you a ton over the other options and allow for a replacement more readily
Those aren't cheap. They were around 250ish for both sides last time I went in there and asked
post #9 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 08:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Those aren't cheap. They were around 250ish for both sides last time I went in there and asked
Did not know they were that pricey.

post #10 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 08:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Anybody try these
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....441555&jsn=409

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #11 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
They are only $27 on Rockauto! Seriously could they be any good? Not trying to be a smart ass I just don't see how they could be any good lol
post #12 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Granite Guru

They also said there's no warranty. Maybe a different napa might be different? These guys were kind of douchy honestly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Did not know they were that pricey.
post #13 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 AM
JKowners Vendor

We'll add this hear from a PM response we sent.

First off though, hydro assist amplifies ball joint wear. With a ram, you are going to put significantly more lateral load into ball joints than without.

We're a fan of the Rare Parts. There is no ball joint that won't fail in the traditional design. Just the other week Dynatrac noted on a forum that they have customers who wheel more frequently and have to rebuild annually.

When ball joints fail on a JK, it almost always starts with the lower. On the JK, all the load is on the lower and the upper keeps things straight.

Simply put, Rare Parts started by making the best lower available and then went back to the drawing board and made a complete revolution in design with the upper. It isn't just the weight load that the upper carries that matters, it shares the load from steering forces that you find with large tires and off-roading.

Is that a load of BS? One data point stands out. They have not had a single ball joint wear out yet and they've had them on the road for over 2 years. The original beta customer is in So Cal, running 40" Toyo's and wheels places like the Rubicon and Fordyce nearly every weekend. He had Dynatrac before that and wore them out in less than a year. After 2 years with the Rare Parts, no sign of wear. Rare Parts swapped him for new ones so they could cut them open. They found what was essentially no wear on the joints.

I recommend two ball joints. Spicer OEM and Rare Parts. Rare Parts is the best choice, but for those who don't want to pay it, then I'd go Spicer.

In fact, we are planning to make the Rare Parts ball joints standard on our new D60/44 hybrid axle.

post #14 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
They are only $27 on Rockauto! Seriously could they be any good? Not trying to be a smart ass I just don't see how they could be any good lol

Did not look but assume $27 is for one, or $200+ for 4 ?

post #15 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

After pm'ing with Fusion I'm going to place an order for the rare parts. The ball joint install is not something I want to deal with again soon, and with hydro assist pending I want something that will hold up to abuse.

Fusion has great pricing on the rare parts btw!
post #16 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Did not look but assume $27 is for one, or $200+ for 4 ?

$27 x 4 = $108...
post #17 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Omg got to lay off the green stuff LOL

tapcola likes this.

post #18 of 80 Old 01-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Omg got to lay off the green stuff LOL

nah, that wont be good for ya..

Very interesting info on the side load on the balljoints. I just continue to grease the Synergy BJ's and while not on Fordyce or Rubicon every week , I flog the 37s pretty hard so it seems inevitable. If/when they kablooey , RPs will be considered first . Impressive about beta rig , too.

kjeeper10 likes this.

post #19 of 80 Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

UPS dropped these off today....

Looking forward to installing tomorrow. I've been spraying my old ball joints with PB Blaster twice a day for the last 3 days. Hoping tomorrow's install is painless, but it's always a good time putting new parts on the Jeep either way lol
ALASHA, kjeeper10, tapcola and 1 others like this.
post #20 of 80 Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Rock God

looks nice for sure. I did read on Amazon that the kit needs the service adaptors to work on JK's.
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Dodge-Joi...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited by Jadmt; 01-06-2017 at 02:57 PM.
post #21 of 80 Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
looks nice for sure. I did read on Amazon that the kit needs the service adaptors to work on JK's.
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Dodge-Joi...ct_top?ie=UTF8
I believe the one I bought will do the job. It says it works on Dana 44 axles in jeep vehicles, and one reviewer says they did Ball Joints on a 2008 wrangler with this kit so I'm optimistic!
post #22 of 80 Old 01-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

If that is the case they come in, it's no wonder they are $780 CDN.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #23 of 80 Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Rock God

ive had my rare parts ball joints on for probably 12k now with no issues. these things are friggin awesome... and at one point, amazon had them for $425!!! i snatched up a set while i could.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #24 of 80 Old 01-07-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Install is done. Thankfully wasn't hard at all just time consuming. Took about 3 hours to do the first and then 2 hours to do the second once I knew what I was doing.

One thing interesting was the synergy joints I took out were fine even after 50k miles on 37x13.5" tires. I was always anal about greasing them with synergy grease every 5k miles they had no play and were still serviceable. I was installing my new rancho high steer knuckles so just figured I would put in some new ball joints while I was in there anyway. Have to say the rare parts are a good looking ball joint, if there is such a thing. Time will tell how they hold up!

post #25 of 80 Old 01-07-2017, 02:42 PM
JKO Addict!

They weren't loose after the Synergy joints ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode