Can we discuss Rare Parts Ball Joints... again - Page 4 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 80 Old 03-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Good to hear it.

2017 JKUR Recon 6spd Firecracker Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 80 Old 05-30-2019, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Most of the destructive air at the dunes was accidental and not filmed. And I'm just assuming it's these trips that beat up the ball joints, no idea really.

https://youtu.be/xHDCSGUGSmU

The lowers cannot be rebuilt as far as I know. I have an email out to rare parts to see if they recommend I replace/rebuild the uppers or just replace the lowers.

lol that's a cool looking ride /day /location (and video) .

I betcha those driving choices MIGHT have contributed - at least a tiny bit- to the wear on those prem-O balljoints, lmao.

just imagine what condition regular old balljoints woulda been in.

I missed this but have been pokin' around our forum today since I freaking gotta order g-damned balljoints again.

I learned from this thread that the hydraulic assist I have been running this past year contributes to BJ wear laterally ; I am thus not too stoked about installing yet another set of Synergy Mfg's.

However, this thread ALSO taught-me that their particular ball-joints have been revamped since my last set .
Somehow I did not process all of this threads useful data the first time . I appreciate this thread bein here.

it being a stupid, teeny D30 , I think goin w/ $600 BJs is a bit over the top. Particularly since the funds would be deducted from my welding supplies specifically to get rid of said toy housing.

(edit: I meant to ask @jvandy50 how the Spicers are hangin' after you've run them for a little while? )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-30-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #78 of 80 Old 05-30-2019, 09:02 PM
V8 dreams

Welllll there's a story there...we went to install them and one just dropped in lol. I'll have to scroll through some pics to see if it was a top or bottom joint. So two are spicer, and the other two are whatever cheap brand O'Reilly had...we took the calipers up there to measure before buying!

Got it all buttoned up and someone (me) didn't bother tightening 5 lug nuts after a spacer install and my driver front came off at 45mph...that was a hard hit when I finally came to a stop, two shocks blown, rear axle flange bent...and we were just making sure the steering wheel was straight on that test drive! Guess I just didn't want her to be out of our shop lol. I'm truly lucky I didn't hurt someone.

Anyway, they are working fine but I don't have but 1k miles on em so far because I'm slowly finding and fixing things that I broke in my stupid stupid mishap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 80 Old 05-31-2019, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Welllll there's a story there...we went to install them and one just dropped in lol. I'll have to scroll through some pics to see if it was a top or bottom joint. So two are spicer, and the other two are whatever cheap brand O'Reilly had...we took the calipers up there to measure before buying!

Got it all buttoned up and someone (me) didn't bother tightening 5 lug nuts after a spacer install and my driver front came off at 45mph...that was a hard hit when I finally came to a stop, two shocks blown, rear axle flange bent...and we were just making sure the steering wheel was straight on that test drive! Guess I just didn't want her to be out of our shop lol. I'm truly lucky I didn't hurt someone.

Anyway, they are working fine but I don't have but 1k miles on em so far because I'm slowly finding and fixing things that I broke in my stupid stupid mishap.

Holy crap, dude!
That is almost like one of my stories !

I'm glad you are ok, the Jeep was only gonna incur mild
damages AND no body else was hurt; runaway wheel/tire can f some stuff up.

Yeah, I always have muckedup , involved to detail or explain descriptions for complicated occurrences or Jeep related repair/damage incidents. Some recently have been so convoluted and involved , I don't have the energy to even find an urge to type the whole thing out !

So, I guess I'm saying I can relate man. Appreciate the reply , & ,then, maybe come back to update thread after you've accrued some mileage after a year or something with how they handled ( that is SAFE, lugged-securely miles! )

jvandy50 likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-31-2019 at 04:56 AM.
post #80 of 80 Old 05-31-2019, 05:47 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Holy crap, dude!
That is almost like one of my stories !

I'm glad you are ok, the Jeep was only gonna incur mild
damages AND no body else was hurt; runaway wheel/tire can f some stuff up.

Yeah, I always have muckedup , involved to detail or explain descriptions for complicated occurrences or Jeep related repair/damage incidents. Some recently have been so convoluted and involved , I don't have the energy to even find an urge to type the whole thing out !

So, I guess I'm saying I can relate man. Appreciate the reply , & ,then, maybe come back to update thread after you've accrued some mileage after a year or something with how they handled ( that is SAFE, lugged-securely miles! )

Lol will do! Plenty of learned lessons from that experience.

I couldn’t justify the cost on the rare parts, and i was glad i didn’t after learning one of my C’s was a little wallowed...luckily the cheap brand had not so good tolerances and we found a “fat “ one!

I’ll pile up some miles and report back

Edit: they have already survived a hit that blew 2 Rancho 9000s and an axle shaft, as well as an ankle, shoulder, wrist, and bent steering wheel lol

2010 Silver JKU

Last edited by jvandy50; 05-31-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode