Can we discuss Rare Parts Ball Joints... again - Page 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 80 Old 12-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
How does greasing the uppers work? I put about 10 pumps into them, I usually fill up new parts like this until I just start to see grease escaping the bottom. But on these, the grease gun got stiff, it looks like they have no exit path for grease to escape.

Is this correct? Won't that make it pretty hard to grease them in the future because the bottom will be hydrolocked with grease and I won't be able to get any fresh grease in?
Did you ever find an answer for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 80 Old 12-17-2017, 06:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
Did you ever find an answer for this?
Yes they're just a little stiff at first on grease exiting. They're not actually sealed, called and asked and they said the grease can escape the bottom. After a few days of driving I put the grease gun back on and it flows right through and comes out the bottom as you'd expect.
post #53 of 80 Old 02-17-2018, 05:07 PM
Wheeler

Once the preload is set on the rare parts ball joints, is there a need to ever check or adjust it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 80 Old 02-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by derceej View Post
Once the preload is set on the rare parts ball joints, is there a need to ever check or adjust it?
As far as I know there is no real need to check, I believe Rare Parts says it's not needed and is not part of a standard maintenance cycle. That said, I would check but not too frequently. If your inner-C's get tweaked at all the preload will be all off so it is at least conceivable it could get off.

The reason I say not too frequently is that it's a set-screw on threads (my one gripe with the design) so you put a gash in the threads each time you check preload and have to take the upper insert out and file the threads and make sure it smoothly passes through rotation to get a correct measurement on preload.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #55 of 80 Old 02-18-2018, 06:04 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by derceej View Post
As far as I know there is no real need to check, I believe Rare Parts says it's not needed and is not part of a standard maintenance cycle. That said, I would check but not too frequently. If your inner-C's get tweaked at all the preload will be all off so it is at least conceivable it could get off.

The reason I say not too frequently is that it's a set-screw on threads (my one gripe with the design) so you put a gash in the threads each time you check preload and have to take the upper insert out and file the threads and make sure it smoothly passes through rotation to get a correct measurement on preload.
Great info, thanks
post #56 of 80 Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 AM
V8 dreams

you guys still happy with these? just went through a set of TF BJs in 20k miles and want something that'll last

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #57 of 80 Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
you guys still happy with these? just went through a set of TF BJs in 20k miles and want something that'll last
all of the reviews i've read say they are holding up. really pissed i didn't pick up a set last year when Fusion 4x4 ran a big sale.

2017 JKUR Recon 6spd Firecracker Red
post #58 of 80 Old 02-19-2019, 12:52 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecTxAg06 View Post
all of the reviews i've read say they are holding up. really pissed i didn't pick up a set last year when Fusion 4x4 ran a big sale.
yeah the price is a little more, but when the $250 BJs aren't working i guess it's fairly easy to justify

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #59 of 80 Old 02-19-2019, 01:33 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
yeah the price is a little more, but when the $250 BJs aren't working i guess it's fairly easy to justify
yep. amazed that people are still paying for the dynatrac considering they aren't getting any more miles than anyone else and the rebuild kit is so dang expensive. those don't make any sense at all.

post #60 of 80 Old 02-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Rock God

I agree, Dynatrac is just running on marketing at this point on the ball joints.

My rare parts put in 1.5 years/22k miles ago are still perfectly tight. Synergy did not last beforehand. Time will tell but I'm still sold on them.
post #61 of 80 Old 02-19-2019, 04:38 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
yep. amazed that people are still paying for the dynatrac considering they aren't getting any more miles than anyone else and the rebuild kit is so dang expensive. those don't make any sense at all.
I do think the dynatrac would last me a little longer, but the gravel roads i frequent would wear them quickly too IMO. For about the same amount, and both the RP and DT BJs using the metal components, i think the longevity of the RP puts them in the lead for me

2010 Silver JKU
post #62 of 80 Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I agree, Dynatrac is just running on marketing at this point on the ball joints.

My rare parts put in 1.5 years/22k miles ago are still perfectly tight. Synergy did not last beforehand. Time will tell but I'm still sold on them.
Sorry to hear your Synergy ball joints did not last. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but we did have a manufacturing issue between 2016 and 2017. Our current revision has been out since the beginning of 2018 and we haven't encountered any of the premature wear like we did previously. If anyone has ball joints that wore out prematurely in this time period, we will warranty them, regardless of whether or not they are within the warranty period.
j3ff3ry_j33p and tapcola like this.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

post #63 of 80 Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Doing my oil and grease tonight, and this time the ball joints failed testing. I guess I just have to accept that I'd best not jump a Jeep on D44's even if the housing is beefed up enough. They still drive fine and I'll probably keep running them for a bit but the lower joint should not allow for this motion.

Last edited by christensent; 02-25-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #64 of 80 Old 02-26-2019, 05:34 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Doing my oil and grease tonight, and this time the ball joints failed testing. I guess I just have to accept that I'd best not jump a Jeep on D44's even if the housing is beefed up enough. They still drive fine and I'll probably keep running them for a bit but the lower joint should not allow for this motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70Im...ature=youtu.be
you jumped your Jeep? where's the video? haha.

also, are you going to rebuild them? if you are, i'll be interested in the process.

post #65 of 80 Old 02-26-2019, 05:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
you jumped your Jeep? where's the video? haha.

also, are you going to rebuild them? if you are, i'll be interested in the process.
Most of the destructive air at the dunes was accidental and not filmed. And I'm just assuming it's these trips that beat up the ball joints, no idea really.

The lowers cannot be rebuilt as far as I know. I have an email out to rare parts to see if they recommend I replace/rebuild the uppers or just replace the lowers.
jvandy50 and j3ff3ry_j33p like this.
post #66 of 80 Old 02-26-2019, 07:06 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Most of the destructive air at the dunes was accidental and not filmed. And I'm just assuming it's these trips that beat up the ball joints, no idea really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDCSGUGSmU

The lowers cannot be rebuilt as far as I know. I have an email out to rare parts to see if they recommend I replace/rebuild the uppers or just replace the lowers.
nice video. didn't know the lowers couldn't be rebuilt.

post #67 of 80 Old 02-26-2019, 06:59 PM
Rock God

First off Rare Parts is a good company and is sending me new lowers.

But, I found the problem and it makes me question the design of the lower Can always use the Rare Parts upper with some other brand lower though, that might be the ultimate combination.

The lower ball joint is actually cracking apart, grease squirts out about a quarter circle of this so it's cracked completely through. On the other side of the vehicle I can see a stress fracture just barely starting to form. It's a small miracle it didn't blow apart destroying everything in that side of the axle.

post #68 of 80 Old 02-27-2019, 04:57 AM
Wheeler

Garage

dang that's crazy. well, this puts me back in the camp of not knowing what to do when my time comes which with ATX slabs won't be too long. i do know that if i ever decide to go tons that i'm ordering a kingpin from Dan at Fusion.

post #69 of 80 Old 02-27-2019, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

damn, @christensent !

I'd be surprised if RPs wasn't wanting that back after you receive the replacements? Seems a metal quality issue if it cracked on the cap like that and completely; you are fortunate that didn't breakup on ya & take out who knows what else.
If I paid $600+ for a ball joint and one of the caps cracked ....this would be less than pleasant for the manufacturer/vendor. I'm sure RP backs it but does that belie a deeper issue?
Any other reports of similar fracturing online?

post #70 of 80 Old 02-27-2019, 06:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Can always use the Rare Parts upper with some other brand lower though, that might be the ultimate combination.
But arent these designed to distribute some of the load to the lower so using a combo might not be advisable?

post #71 of 80 Old 02-27-2019, 06:49 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
dang that's crazy. well, this puts me back in the camp of not knowing what to do when my time comes which with ATX slabs won't be too long. i do know that if i ever decide to go tons that i'm ordering a kingpin from Dan at Fusion.
my last set of teraflex, running spiderlocks(same BS as slabs), didn't even last 20k lol...also eyeing the kingpin tons at fusion.

oh, and i just ordered the spicer BJs as they were $106 and surely can't do worse than 20k miles...famous last words

2010 Silver JKU
post #72 of 80 Old 02-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Rare Parts did really come through and over-nighted me new joints this morning. Support is also top notch in response time with 20+ emails exchanged in less than a 24 hour period.

They do want the old ones for inspection to find root cause, and assure me they are confident in the product even in the most harsh use (apparently they have numerous people racing on the ball joints). I'm honestly skeptical that it's not a design flaw. You can see where there's a thin wall section in their cross section view right where the crack formed at the boundary where the upper bearing plate pushes up into the housing. I feel like this wouldn't have happened if the housing had the green contour, but then again I'm not a ball joint engineer and it's entirely conceivable there are sacrifices to that design! I'll put in the new ones and run them keeping a very close eye for stress fracture formation.

post #73 of 80 Old 02-27-2019, 04:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Rare Parts did really come through and over-nighted me new joints this morning. Support is also top notch in response time with 20+ emails exchanged in less than a 24 hour period.

They do want the old ones for inspection to find root cause, and assure me they are confident in the product even in the most harsh use (apparently they have numerous people racing on the ball joints). I'm honestly skeptical that it's not a design flaw. You can see where there's a thin wall section in their cross section view right where the crack formed at the boundary where the upper bearing plate pushes up into the housing. I feel like this wouldn't have happened if the housing had the green contour, but then again I'm not a ball joint engineer and it's entirely conceivable there are sacrifices to that design! I'll put in the new ones and run them keeping a very close eye for stress fracture formation.

Just curious why are 20+ emails being exchanged? Were they giving you a hard time or something?
post #74 of 80 Old 02-27-2019, 04:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Just curious why are 20+ emails being exchanged? Were they giving you a hard time or something?
Nope just asking some questions to make sure I set them up right, checking date codes on them, getting my shipping info, and I asked a few questions about the design.

In fact I didn't even ask to get new ones they brought up sending me replacements and overnight shipping was their idea too (I usually don't ask for replacement parts when it's a wear item that I beat the crap out of as a best-practice to be polite to the world).
post #75 of 80 Old 03-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Rock God

Got the new joints, although they did not specifically answer via email whether there were design changes on this, the new housing is about 1/8" taller and I have complete confidence that the new design will not suffer the same failure mode, it looks like a much more beefy housing. In addition they put a soft backing on the set screw so it no longer cuts up the threads of the upper locking cap, and the lower has a bigger thread size on the grease zerk (the old ones were sort of a pain to thread in without stripping or cross threading them). Not only is it stronger but they fixed my only two subtle complaints on the product!

I have to say Rare Parts is honestly the single greatest company I've ever worked with on customer support. If I got identical lowers I would have been skeptical but with bigger lower housings I'm fully on board with Rare Parts again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode