Can we discuss Rare Parts Ball Joints... again - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 80 Old 01-07-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
They weren't loose after the Synergy joints ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nope, pressed in nicely no worries!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 80 Old 01-07-2017, 03:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Nope, pressed in nicely no worries!

I prob would not have that luck lol

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #28 of 80 Old 01-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

everything looks really well put together , thought out and good, @Biginboca . Yeah, the perpetual " we shall never know why some have sh*t luck with Synergy Mfg BJs and some of us they just last and last and last" differing experiences, it would seem . I am in latter boat, also. I now grease them by 6th sense I have done it so much, heh.

I just wanted to say that and that I like your Rancho knuckles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 80 Old 01-07-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
everything looks really well put together , thought out and good, @Biginboca . Yeah, the perpetual " we shall never know why some have sh*t luck with Synergy Mfg BJs and some of us they just last and last and last" differing experiences, it would seem . I am in latter boat, also. I now grease them by 6th sense I have done it so much, heh.

I just wanted to say that and that I like your Rancho knuckles.
Thank you sir...

I think backspacing may be part of it. I'm running 13.5" wide tires but on 4.5" backspaced wheels. I know a lot of guys go much lower on the backspacing and I think that affects the stress on the joints quite a bit.

I noticed recently when I turned my tires on some gravel that the center of the turn axis is almost dead center of my contact patch. (There were swirls on the tread from the gravel rubbing on the tire tread and these swirls centered on almost dead center of the tread.)
post #30 of 80 Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Thank you sir...

I think backspacing may be part of it. I'm running 13.5" wide tires but on 4.5" backspaced wheels. I know a lot of guys go much lower on the backspacing and I think that affects the stress on the joints quite a bit.

I noticed recently when I turned my tires on some gravel that the center of the turn axis is almost dead center of my contact patch. (There were swirls on the tread from the gravel rubbing on the tire tread and these swirls centered on almost dead center of the tread.)
THAT is so sweet when some fab or construct or upgrade just falls into a state of nearly "machine-install-perfect" but it's 'cuz you measured & took care of it properly. Huge reward .
Yeah, just cause I had a new set of 1.5" spidertrax sitting around a few months back , I decided to see what spacers on a 4.5 BS wheel would look and drive like; 2 asphalt miles and .5 off-road miles = I couldn't get them off fast enough , ha. Looked like a poser wagon , drive like crap , but mostly I could literally fee howl the primary bearer of the extreme weight at those ball joint axes would last maybe a month if I had 3.0" of backspace and big tires ... I agree with this theory .Anyhoo..again, Kool new shiny stuff to abuse !.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31 of 80 Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I put a few miles on the new set up the steering feels great. Very tight and tracks beautifully!

When I swapped my tie rod to the rancho knuckles it had me 1" toed out from the previous 1/4" toe in on factory knuckles. I also needed to lengthen my drag link about 1/4" to recenter the wheel. So there is some geometry difference there.

Can't quite say anything special about the ride is due to the rare parts yet I guess having any new ball joints is definitely going to give you some nice feel to the steering, right? I am digging the fancy look though, lol. One last pic of my new axle bling...

tapcola and Sirjeepalot like this.
post #32 of 80 Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Rock God

No issues at all using the ball joint press with just what was included?
post #33 of 80 Old 01-08-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
No issues at all using the ball joint press with just what was included?
No issues I did have to stop and think a few times on the first one about how to make it work. That's part of why the first one took an hour longer.

Just keep in mind that the press is open on one end and you can press a joint with the open end over a ball joint stud and sitting right on the joint. If you aren't thinking you miss this detail because normal c-clamps are not open on one end.

It's like you spend 5 minutes wondering "what am I missing here?" and then "duh" this will work fine, lol

The only issue was pressing the top ones out I was only able to actually press them like 3/4 of the way out and then a few taps with a 4lb sledge knocked it up and out.

Last edited by Biginboca; 01-08-2017 at 08:28 AM.
post #34 of 80 Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Granite Guru

Running into a few snags with Tera44 axle

I'm running into a couple issues as I try to install these ball joints on a nice Tera44 axle. The inner "C" is thicker than the stock axle and I'm having to make some modifications. I had to notch the 2" Aluminum nut on the upper ball joint to allow me to install the pre-load set screw. I'm also going to have to notch the lower portion of the Tera44 inner "C" to allow me to get a grease gun on the grease fitting of the lower ball joint.

I'm also concerned that I may run into issues with the distance between the upper and lower ball joints on the Tera44 axle due to the thicker "C". Teraflex added more material in areas that didn't affect the mounting distance when the ball joints are mounted in the traditional direction. I think I may run into problems because the upper ball joint goes in from bottom of the upper "C" where extra material was added on the Tera44.

2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon, 2dr, 6spd.
PSC BFH front bumper, Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper, Bushwacker Flares
PSC Rocker Knockers ,PSC Evap Skid Plate
post #35 of 80 Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 PM
JKO Addict!

HMmmm yea doesnt look right.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #36 of 80 Old 01-25-2017, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah you might actually have a problem there. That stinks! I was going to say you might be ok but then I realized that the extra thickness is all on the underside of the upper C and would create a change in the mounting space between the joints on the knuckle. It looks like you have about 2 threads showing on the mounting nut and I have about 4 on mine. Probably like 1/8" more thickness to the upper C on yours.

I can't see grinding that material on the bottom side of the upper C down and getting a good even result either...

I wonder how these joints would work with a Dynatrac housing? They use different end forgings also but I don't know if they are thicker where the BJ's mount.

Last edited by Biginboca; 01-25-2017 at 03:54 AM.
post #37 of 80 Old 01-25-2017, 03:59 AM
JKowners Vendor

I wonder if anyone has had the same issues might be worth a call to teraflex to see

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #38 of 80 Old 01-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Rock God

Kind of late to respond but I've had my rare parts ball joints installed for awhile now (26k miles on them) with 40" tires and they still check out good. I usually check them every 3 or 4 months. I got mine back when they were $425. I'm extremely happy with them and rare parts customer service.
Sirjeepalot likes this.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.

Last edited by stretch79; 01-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.
post #39 of 80 Old 01-26-2017, 02:14 PM
JKowners Vendor

The ball joints definitely work in the Currie Rock Jock Cs, and they are fairly large as well.

For the lower zerk fitting, it is supposed to be angle away from the housing (ball joint should be rotated about 90 degrees). The C thickens as you turn toward the housing.

I believe the more recently manufactured ball joints have a slightly shorter anodized nut on the upper to prevent the problem.

post #40 of 80 Old 01-26-2017, 09:12 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch79 View Post
Kind of late to respond but I've had my rare parts ball joints installed for awhile now (26k miles on them) with 40" tires and they still check out good. I usually check them every 3 or 4 months. I got mine back when they were $425. I'm extremely happy with them and rare parts customer service.
This load distributing ball joint design is very interesting…..
I wonder how much added stress is applied to the upper arm of the inner C?
Wheeling these load distributing ball joints on a stock or UD44 housing might just actually have a plausible chance of tweaking the Inner C.
Hmmmm….

What front housing are you running stretch79?

Hey Dynatrac, Teraflex and Rare Parts. What are your thoughts on my merger concern?
post #41 of 80 Old 01-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirjeepalot View Post
This load distributing ball joint design is very interesting…..
I wonder how much added stress is applied to the upper arm of the inner C?
Wheeling these load distributing ball joints on a stock or UD44 housing might just actually have a plausible chance of tweaking the Inner C.
Hmmmm….

What front housing are you running stretch79?

Hey Dynatrac, Teraflex and Rare Parts. What are your thoughts on my merger concern?
I'm running a 2014 rubicon axle with C gussets and truss. Tires wear fine so I assume nothing is bent on my C's yet. I'm not easy on it either.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #42 of 80 Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
I'm running a 2014 rubicon axle with C gussets and truss. Tires wear fine so I assume nothing is bent on my C's yet. I'm not easy on it either.
40's on a trussed up Rubi axle, Bad ass,
I don't like the current price of RP ball joint's, but the design makes sense.
Thanks for sharing.
post #43 of 80 Old 01-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Rock God

Here are a couple pics to show it actually gets used.
Attached Images

post #44 of 80 Old 01-27-2017, 01:59 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Here are a couple pics to show it actually gets used.
And those wheels are 3.5 BS too right? Nice to see the 40s working with that suspension since i have it too and would love to move up

2010 Silver JKU
post #45 of 80 Old 01-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
And those wheels are 3.5 BS too right? Nice to see the 40s working with that suspension since i have it too and would love to move up
I believe the methods are 3.5". They will rub on full lock though, I had to put 3 washers in my steering stops. Yes, the 40's will fit and work with the 3.5" rk lift but be prepared to do some major sawzall work front and rear.
jvandy50 likes this.

post #46 of 80 Old 01-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Granite Guru

I took a break from this. I decided to look at it again, If I completely remove the upper ball joint pre-load cap I can tighten the lower ball joint castle nut properly. As the knuckle comes up onto the tapered studs the upper ball joint bearing raises up in the bore. I can get the pre-load cap back on, but I don't have nearly as many threads of engagement. I have a call into Rare Parts to see if this is acceptable?

This picture shows approximately where the pre-load cap should be in a stock axle install.

This is where my pre-load cap sits currently with 3 full turns of thread engagement.

I wonder if I can get thinner rubber and plastic spacers to increase the number of threads engaged.

The inner parts that make up the upper ball joint.

This is where the stud sits in an axle with thicker "C"

This is the postion that the tapered stud should be in when installed in a stock axle

2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon, 2dr, 6spd.
PSC BFH front bumper, Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper, Bushwacker Flares
PSC Rocker Knockers ,PSC Evap Skid Plate
post #47 of 80 Old 09-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Rock God

Anyone know if you have to grind the shafts on a 2012+ with the rare parts ball joints? Can't find an answer either way anywhere...
post #48 of 80 Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Can't say that I have. Teraflex makes a nice pair. Adjustable, greasable, warranty, the works. You will have to grind on the shafts some, but it's not a big deal. Been abusing my suspension, and everything is gravy. Customer service is top notch. They offered to ship a replacement when the guys forgot to grind.. who does that? Awesome. I made the shop pay for it and thanked TF. Top notch

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #49 of 80 Old 09-18-2017, 06:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Anyone know if you have to grind the shafts on a 2012+ with the rare parts ball joints? Can't find an answer either way anywhere...
I put them in my 2014 Rubicon and did NOT have to grind the shafts. Just be sure to turn the lower grease zerk to the proper position. I believe the instructions show you how.

post #50 of 80 Old 09-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Rock God

How does greasing the uppers work? I put about 10 pumps into them, I usually fill up new parts like this until I just start to see grease escaping the bottom. But on these, the grease gun got stiff, it looks like they have no exit path for grease to escape.

Is this correct? Won't that make it pretty hard to grease them in the future because the bottom will be hydrolocked with grease and I won't be able to get any fresh grease in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode