Jku Half door build

102K views 604 replies 41 participants last post by  pvanweelden 
#1 · (Edited)
Jku Half door build and snow plow

Here's a few pics of my start to this project

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#12 · (Edited)
Wow, really impressive layout and execution (so far, but . . . :cwm13: . . . it looks like you'll carry through :rockon: )

So, assuming you modeled this in CAD (or went full-on Rain Man figuring out all the little bits):
All the misc pieces
Questions:
  • What CAD program did you use (or are you a savant)?
  • Do you know offhand how much the doors will weigh?
  • Is this something you plan to commercialize as kits or complete?

Impressive attention to detail. Very nicely done :beer: Thanks for sharing!

#13 ·
Thank you ExWrench, I grew up using Autocad, but used Draftsight to draw these up. Since the outside skin is 11 gauge, these will definitely have some weight to them. My guess is they will almost be as heavy as a full door when I get done with the inside panels. I will try to weigh them soon. No plans right now for a kit. All depends on how I get the inside finished, otherwise the doors are pretty similar to savvy, but the goal is to be similar to zebra or rugged Ridge but with handles that line up lol (the shit drives me crazy)

#14 ·
wow. That explanation is all-the-more impressive;with your skillset, couldn't the outside or the whole thing also be done in aluminum or would that be dastardly to try to TIG weld as well as costly as heck?
I do not think the Savvy doors are as complete as your design but they gotta be lighter.

I wasn't gonna comment but ExWrench read my thoughts and I wondered about weight, too.

the curve is so awesome.

you could dimple-die some inner stuff to lighten, maybe?
Maybe you haz engine that weight is not such a factor on.

#21 ·
Thank you RkyMtnJK. Just to prove how stupid I am, I couldn't pass up a set of factory uppers, even though I already had bestop soft doors, and had planned on using those uppers. Well, needless to say, I had followed the body lines from the lower soft door, and the factory lower goes up higher near the mirrors, so I need to make a mockup lower, to see where the hell I am at. Good times :)

#22 ·
Just to clarify- I had 4 door skins all done and ready to mount latches and then start on the interior, until I decided to switch from the bestop softdoor uppers to factory uppers. :(
Here's a few pics to show the difference in the body lines.

Not even close with the factory uppers

So I made a wooden mockup and tonight made some new progress

Tomorrow I will cut some new outer skins for the front doors

#25 ·
And if you noticed in this pic

How the upper retainer post comes down where the handles is, clearance is fine depth Wise, but that covers up my ability to screw in the screws to mount the handle, so I am flipping the handle. Not so easy, as you need the draw to trigger the Latch. But I redesigned the exterior and interior handle cable draw setup :)

So my handle will actually be aerodynamic unlike savvy :)

#29 ·
Thanks, lol, I really can't even believe it myself, that I was all good to go with the bestop uppers, but I couldn't pass up getting the factory uppers.
I don't own the table, I met the owner thru a mutual friend. It is a Burntable 4x5 with hypertherm 65. It is awesome to be able to draw something up and watch it get cut out. Makes my switch of uppers not such a big deal at all :)

#31 ·
A little more bending
Handle mounts and cable mounts

And countersinking driver side hinges

Tapcola- that sucks about your jeep, I hope you and yours are ok man.

Chuck- I made this after reading about your accident and realizing I did way too much free hand cutting and grinding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.