Skid Plate questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Skid Plate questions

I'm a newbie on this - have a 2010 Sahara 4 door. Thinking of adding some skid plate protection underneath - what is the most important? What should be done first? Recommendations?

TKs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Order up the river raider set and be done with it. I've got a 6spd Rubi, so mine just came with the transfer case skid and the gas tank skid otherwise I'd have their set. The 2 stockers worked fine out at Badlands all weekend. With a lift, my oil pan and trans were pretty far out of harm's way. I'd still like to get one for those locations, though.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #3 of 6 Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Granite Guru

I would save up and buy the whole set at once.
Im running rock hard and they work well. But there is a lot out there and im sure most of them are good
Poly performance
River raider
Poison spyder might have something to??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

River Raider has their full skid package on sale now, 10% off. I just ordered one up for my 4-door. This will cover your oil pan, engine, trans, transfer case and gas tank. If you don't go with a complete kit, at least get something to protect your oil pan. Jeeps don't run well with no oil.

Relocate your steering stabilizer before you bend it. Relo brackets run about $50 from a variety of manufacturers, or $100 if you wait too long and bend the shock. If you've decided on what lift you're eventually going to buy, get the relo bracket from that manufacturer to ensure it's compatible with any trackbar bracket you'll need later.

Lower control arm mounts are vulnerable. You can buy a bolt-on kit, but weld-on is better. For around $100 plus a six-pack of beer you can get a local welder to just weld-in scrap 1/4" plate to the front and rear mounts, then bring it home to sand, prime and paint.

Evap Canister needs to be skidded or relocated. Poison Spyder has what I think is the best skid.

Front and rear differentials should have beefier covers. The OEM stamped steel covers are thin.

You don't have rock sliders or rocker protection. I'd suggest getting sliders -- Rubicon take-offs are good and usually cheap -- high your list.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #5 of 6 Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

The River Raider full skid plate system is very complete and stronger than hell.

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
River Raider has their full skid package on sale now, 10% off. I just ordered one up for my 4-door. This will cover your oil pan, engine, trans, transfer case and gas tank. If you don't go with a complete kit, at least get something to protect your oil pan. Jeeps don't run well with no oil.

Relocate your steering stabilizer before you bend it. Relo brackets run about $50 from a variety of manufacturers, or $100 if you wait too long and bend the shock. If you've decided on what lift you're eventually going to buy, get the relo bracket from that manufacturer to ensure it's compatible with any trackbar bracket you'll need later.

Lower control arm mounts are vulnerable. You can buy a bolt-on kit, but weld-on is better. For around $100 plus a six-pack of beer you can get a local welder to just weld-in scrap 1/4" plate to the front and rear mounts, then bring it home to sand, prime and paint.

Evap Canister needs to be skidded or relocated. Poison Spyder has what I think is the best skid.

Front and rear differentials should have beefier covers. The OEM stamped steel covers are thin.

You don't have rock sliders or rocker protection. I'd suggest getting sliders -- Rubicon take-offs are good and usually cheap -- high your list.
Bumpintheroad makes some good points. The EVAP definitely needs remounting or a skid. Do yourself a favor and get a set of differential covers. Rock sliders are a must.

As for the skids, it makes sense to get them all at once and save some $$$. I wouldn't be too worried about your control arm mounts. Extra protection would be nice, but definitely not necessary. Same with oilpan and trans skid. I definitely want one for the oilpan, but I went through a hell of a lot of stuff on a run this weekend and most things up front stay up and out of harms way. Of course, I have a 3.5" lift and 35s, so I'm not exactly stock level. Your fuel tank will take a beating, and the diffs will catch. Rock guards anytime you approach those longer wheelbase obstacles. Buy these to play: RR skid set, Rock rails, Diff covers, relocate/skid EVAP. Done...and broke.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode