Lockers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to M. Hoyt
Lockers?

Trying to decide which lockers to go with, I'm thinking about a Detroit in the rear and an Auburn ECTED in the front, any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 08:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Detriot in the rear is about a bullet proof as you can get. In the front I'd recommend staying away from Tru-Trac (If you even considered it), you'll spend most of your time with a foot on the brake keeping it working.

There are a few advocates of the ECTED but I think there are as many that have had issues. ARB is very proven but requires air. It's a tough choice but the Detroit is a good foundation.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #3 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Granite Guru

If possible I would got detroit rear and an OX upfront.

I currently have an ECTED in the rear of mine and ARB up front. People seem to have less issues with the OX versus the ARB but I didn't have much choice.

The ECTED was chosen out of ignorance. I want to replace it with a Detroit at some point.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Everyone I wheel with that has the Ox lockers is constantly under their jeep monkeying with the cable. But they all seem to get on forums and recommend the locker to others .

Can't go wrong with that Detroit in the rear. Look at the ARB or Eaton Elocker for the front.
post #5 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Hoyt View Post
Trying to decide which lockers to go with, I'm thinking about a Detroit in the rear and an Auburn ECTED in the front, any advice?
What axles do you have?
post #6 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Everyone I wheel with that has the Ox lockers is constantly under their jeep monkeying with the cable. But they all seem to get on forums and recommend the locker to others .

Can't go wrong with that Detroit in the rear. Look at the ARB or Eaton Elocker for the front.
I only know a few folks personally that use OX and they haven't had problems with them.

Honestly with the air v. cable they both can get screwed up.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
post #7 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
JKowners Vendor

Detroit in the rear is certainly as tough as you can get. Concider a selectable like an Eaton E Locker or ARB for the front. Keep in mind that ESP will not really be happy with the Detroit in the rear all the time! But Detroits are tough.

Detroit Rear, Eaton Front are the combinations that we run with tons of success. ARB's are nice too, but require an on board air supply.......

Rock Krawler
post #8 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Detroit in the rear is certainly as tough as you can get. Concider a selectable like an Eaton E Locker or ARB for the front. Keep in mind that ESP will not really be happy with the Detroit in the rear all the time! But Detroits are tough.

I leave my ESP off all the time myself, it's over-rated!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Rock God

I run a detroit in the rear of mine and love it. The esp doesn't go off any more with it than without it. You don't really know its back there unless you hammer on it taking sharp turn from a standstill. I highly recommend it.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

post #10 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Rock God

The best option depends on the front axle and your personal driving style. I've run Detroits up front for years and won't go any other way. I've had selectables but always go back.

For a D30, I've seen great success with the Eaton ELocker. It's a 4 pinion design and is as good as an ARB. The 44 ELocker version is a 2 pinion design and not up to the stress of moderate or harder off road use. The Ected is a bad choice due to its clutch method of 'locking' and terrible side gear design. The new version (due out ???) is said to address these issues but I haven't seen it yet. I don't have any current experience with OX as everyone that I know that had one has replaced it with another product.

ARB is tough to beat if you want a selectable.
post #11 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
What axles do you have?
D30/D44

Thanks for all the info, I'll do some more looking/pricing before I decide on anything.
post #12 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

I'm one that will not recommend. I have OX rear, and wish I had gone with ARB.

I'm seriously considering buying the OX air conversion kit, in hopes that using an air system would cure the issues. I have way too much money into the OX now to just scrap and go to another brand. So I really want to get it working correctly 100%
post #13 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

I have the Ox up front in my ZJ with the air actuator. It works perfect every time. It's plumbed into my CO2 tank. I have the ARB up front in my XJ and it works well too. If I were to go to a selectable in the rear, I would choose the Ox. IMHO it's stronger and simpler. No chance for internal air leak, but they're both a good choice.
post #14 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I'm one that will not recommend. I have OX rear, and wish I had gone with ARB.

I'm seriously considering buying the OX air conversion kit, in hopes that using an air system would cure the issues. I have way too much money into the OX now to just scrap and go to another brand. So I really want to get it working correctly 100%
If it makes you feel better I was just talking to a guy who is sending his ARB to get replaced for the second time this year because it keeps messing up and not engaging both sides.

I think with any selectable there is a significant chance of problems. The only selectable I haven't actually seen screw up is the Eaton and I don't know hardly anyone running it.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
post #15 of 42 Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Wheeler

Driving on the street with a Detroit sucks!. If your going to drive on the street go selectable I have eaton elockers front and rear in my JK. They are great. I have a detroit in my CJ rock crawler. It is badass and tough as nails on the trail, but sucks on the road.
post #16 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

i like selectable. lock just front or rear, or both. ARB because having onboard air is a plus for tire air ups and tools for trail repairs.

reallly cant go wrong

Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #17 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
JKowners Vendor

Dynatrac

If you are running a detroit up front, are you running lock out hubs too for the street? That would make sense if this guy has that as an option.

Rock Krawler
post #18 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Dynatrac

If you are running a detroit up front, are you running lock out hubs too for the street? That would make sense if this guy has that as an option.

Rock Krawler
One rig has hubs the other doesn't. On the rig without hubs, I can't tell it's up there in 2WD on the street. As for driving manners, you'd be very hard pressed to even know I have them in the rear axle when you drive them on the street (both rigs have auto trans). Vehicle set-up is crucial with a Detroit and many people do it wrong.
post #19 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
One rig has hubs the other doesn't. On the rig without hubs, I can't tell it's up there in 2WD on the street. As for driving manners, you'd be very hard pressed to even know I have them in the rear axle when you drive them on the street (both rigs have auto trans). Vehicle set-up is crucial with a Detroit and many people do it wrong.
I've got a 6 spd 2 door, will that make a difference? I really like the idea of a trouble free, put it in and forget it locker like the detroit.
post #20 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Hoyt View Post
I've got a 6 spd 2 door, will that make a difference? I really like the idea of a trouble free, put it in and forget it locker like the detroit.
Up front it will be fine. In the rear axle you'll know it's there with the 2 dr and 6 speed. Autos are much more forgiving of the Detroit's manners.
post #21 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
Up front it will be fine. In the rear axle you'll know it's there with the 2 dr and 6 speed. Autos are much more forgiving of the Detroit's manners.
Thanks for all the info.
post #22 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Granite Guru

Detroit up front
ARB out back

This seems to be the way a lot of guys are running them.

The Detroit wont need hubs up front as long as power is not being applied.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #23 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Rock God

How about some more feedback on the aftermarket e lockers? I am thinking of going with something other than the D44 out back but I really like the convenience of the factory Rubi electric locker.

Are people having good luck with them? I was looking at the Eaton Elocker for use in a D60.

EDIT - I found this thread on PBB http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821470

Last edited by thebigtman; 07-28-2010 at 12:10 PM.
post #24 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Rock God

The major piece missing here is overall design strength. The Dana 60 (and 44 too) Eaton ELocker is a 2 pinion design. I don't know of any other selectable locker that still only uses 2 pinions. The 4 pinion design, as expected, is much stronger.

Eaton did a minor revision to address a snap ring issue that allowed the actuation to fail when the snap ring was forced out of it's groove. The actuation is still inferior to their own D30 and 35 designs. Maybe someday they'll make the D60 and 44 units as good as their D30 and 35 (they have 4 and 3 pinion designs) units but for now, they're only really good for light off road use.
post #25 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Rock God

Thanks for the insight Dynatrac!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode