weak axles ?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

weak axles ??

ok i have 2010 unlimited rubicon with 37`s and 5.13 gears with factory shafts..i was told today that if i lockem up i was basically goona break my shafts ,,is this the case ??i was thinkin i could get buy a lil while with out going with rcv`s..is this the true ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Granite Guru

It really depends on how you drive. If you are hard on the skinny pedal then yes you will probably break them sooner rather than later. If you are smart about wheel speed when locked up you should be just fine. I ran 37's on factory shafts for awhile and never had a problem, I did upgrade to RCV's for peace of mind

08 Detonator Yellow Rubicon-RE Arms-37" Mt/R's with Kevlar-Riddler Diff Cover-LoD stubby with Stinger-LoD stubby tire carrier-Warn M8000 Winch-Rigid D2's-20" Rigid Light Bar-SPOD-PS Rocker Knockers-PS Body Armor-5.13s-hydro assist-RCV shafts-IPF-Corbeau LG1 seats-12" King coilovers-AEV Hood-AEV Snorkel-5.7L VVT Hemi-AEV hemi Install Kit-4.5" AEV Springs-ProRock 44-AlloyUSA Rear shafts-Spyntech Hubs-Raceline Monters-
post #3 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

You should be fine with the stock shafts, as long as (like with any Jeep model) you don't spin a wheel while in the air and then drop it down hard on rock or solid ground. That's what will break a shaft most of the time.

You might want to look into strengthening the axle tubes themselves, as well as the outer C portion. There are plenty of company's that make these upgrades/ gussets- like Poly Performance, Off Road Evolution, Teraflex, and Mt. Logan Off-Road. Might want to gusset the front track-bar mount while you're at it.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

You'll be fine. But like Stu is saying, drive smart and you'll be ok. Also, if you are wheeling in dirt more than rocks then you have much less to worry about.

I am probably going to keep running stock axles. Because if I beef them up, then what am I gonna bust? The carrier, ring gear or pinion? I'd much rather have an axle fail.

I do however recommend that you get the C's and axle tubes reinforced. Good luck!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 07-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 11:10 PM
JKO Addict!

You will find the shafts breaking as debatable.

However, nobody will say that you should not gusset or sleeve the front axle. Definitely atleast gusset the C's

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx guys, i thought i was doing good with 3.5 lift and 37`s to keep COG low but when i was told i was useless till i did shafts i was really bummed,,, i mean im not intending on goin buck wild but i want to be able to have a lil fun...but at the same time my first outing i dont wanna get towed in
post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I will ad, you can pop the u-joint at full turn and being a little quick with the clutch.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
I will ad, you can pop the u-joint at full turn and being a little quick with the clutch.
X2. Tack-weld those u-joint caps at the inner and outer shafts. Preventative maintenance goes a long way- and it's cheap insurance.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 05:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
when i was told i was useless till i did shafts i was really bummed
I dont understand the people that say this stuff.
Your Jeep is useless until you modify all sorts of things that you may never ever break anyway, ALWAYS depending on how you drive...

Yeah as said before, nobody will tell you not to do your due dilligence and brace some stuff, add gussets, etc.

But saying "modify this, add that, etc etc, or your Jeep is not a real Jeep".
Kinda sounds like the people on jkf...
post #10 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyguy View Post
It really depends on how you drive. If you are hard on the skinny pedal then yes you will probably break them sooner rather than later. If you are smart about wheel speed when locked up you should be just fine. I ran 37's on factory shafts for awhile and never had a problem, I did upgrade to RCV's for peace of mind
I agree, I ran 37s with stock
Shafts for almost a year before I ordered rcv's and I was fine really all depends on how u wheel
I did tack the caps though

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode