JKOwners Forum banner

I think I just bought a Jeep Wrangler JL Hood? What's your thoughts on this one guys?

10K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  JKommuter 
#1 ·
Here's the story.....I bought a hood from a recycler out in the Detroit area. Great customer service, they shipped it freight in a huge palletized box that was well packed. Got the freight shipment in 3 days which was unheard of from Detroit to Minneapolis. Got it unpacked and inspected for damage. Looked good other than few scuffs and one small dent around the footman loop in the center (no big deal for what I paid) and it was complete as a used hood could get. Took my old hood off and set this one on and.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
Reactions: Jaro360
#5 ·
Wow that's weird! Looks like your rubicon text is in the wrong place also it's usually at the rear of the hood not centered front to rear on models with that 2 tone text.

Are those the mopar high line fenders? You are running them with stock rubi tires?

Those are the mopar highline flares with 35in BFG mud-terrain on 1 off Alcoa Forged 5 spoke wheels

#6 ·
It could be. Don't they send the test vehicles and prototypes to be crushed when they're finished with them? Maybe the recycler pulled the hood thinking they could make a couple unnoticed bucks.

Call and ask what it came off.

I purchased this hood from a recycler in Detroit and it was shipped to me. No vin tag or mopar part stamped in the sheet metal like normal

Also this hood is steel where as the new JL is supposed to be aluminum that's why I think it's a pre production hood

#7 ·
I didn't think the JL was going to have a fold down windshield. Why would the JL hood have a footman loop and windshield bumpers?

Im not sure what that thing is.

I wouldn't imagine they would still have the loop and bumpers on there for "looks"

#10 ·

#11 ·
Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks taller too.

If that is off the new Jeep, why the hell do they do that shit? All the money going into new tooling and whatever else is involved, for what, an inch. Add new fenders to match too. I just don't get it.

Maybe a new engine option is an inch longer?

#13 ·
Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks taller too.

If that is off the new Jeep, why the hell do they do that shit? All the money going into new tooling and whatever else is involved, for what, an inch. Add new fenders to match too. I just don't get it.

Maybe a new engine option is an inch longer?

The new 8spd is significantly longer and I'm sure they need extra room for diesel stuff :)

#14 ·
If that is a JL hood I like it. A longer hood means more room for the engine and maybe a turbo from the factory.

At least it will leave us more real estate when we start putting LS V8s in them. >:)

2 of the new engine options (4cyl hurricane, 4cyl diesel) include a turbo so yes your correct :)

#15 ·
It's kinda discouraging after 10 years the new jl is so similar to the jk why even bother with a new one. Who ever heard of a vehicle where you could (almost) swap sheet metal between generations, it's like they just started with the jk blueprints and tweaked a little from there.

#18 ·
Here's something to chew on......

#20 ·
Take a look at the piece added to the front of the cowl piece in these photos

#23 · (Edited)
That extra length wheelbase will be embraced by the 2 door guys, it's like a free stretch, lol

For the unlimiteds the crappy break over just got even worse. Will need more lift or bigger tires than a JKU to get up the same ledges.

I wonder how much longer it is? The test mule pictured above looks like they lengthened the cowl and used a jk hood, but maybe for production they reused the jk cowl piece and just made the JL hood longer? Then whatever the added length of your mystery hood is (2"?) would be the wheelbase stretch of the JL.

#28 ·
#31 ·
It's also on MSN , main page and the credit lists J K W r a n g l e r F o r u m and not JKO as the source .

:hide:

Link??

#33 ·
Lol got it....I wasn't sure if they had it on a specific website

Thanks for the heads up

Didn't think this would be this big of deal

#35 ·
Looking back now I should've held onto the hood and the rights to all the pictures that are being circulated around the Internet. But I'm not really a guy that likes to profit off other people's mistakes and or crazy things like this all I wanted was a hard rock hood and still don't have one :(

#39 ·
Wtf its popping up everywhere. I really dont know what the deal is but find it very hard to believe some random junk yard got a JL hood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#40 · (Edited)
If you read the full article and look at all the pictures you'll see why this is so crazy. This might even be a "JT" hood. There is nobody anywhere other than FCA that would go through this much effort and money to extend the hood by 2 inches. It may not be an official JL or JT but it damn sure had something to do with it somewhere along the line.

#42 ·
Jeep Truck....aka 4dr JK with a box

Reactions: j3ff3ry_j33p
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.