I think I just bought a Jeep Wrangler JL Hood? What's your thoughts on this one guys? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 10-01-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to RedrockHemi
I think I just bought a Jeep Wrangler JL Hood? What's your thoughts on this one guys?

Here's the story.....I bought a hood from a recycler out in the Detroit area. Great customer service, they shipped it freight in a huge palletized box that was well packed. Got the freight shipment in 3 days which was unheard of from Detroit to Minneapolis. Got it unpacked and inspected for damage. Looked good other than few scuffs and one small dent around the footman loop in the center (no big deal for what I paid) and it was complete as a used hood could get. Took my old hood off and set this one on and.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaro360 likes this.

08 Red Rock Rubicon Unlimited, 5.7 Hemi, 4.88's, 3.5 in Nth Deg short arm, 35in KM2's, AEV Pintler Beadlocks, Teraflex diff covers, Ruff Stuff Custom tie rod, AEV corner guards painted to match, painted flares, painted hardtop, leather seats, AEV front bumper painted to match, Warn 9000 XDi, Mopar Rear w/swingaway painted to match, HID's, TMD cowl Induction hood, Nemisis Billy Rockers, Warn Dual modes up front, PIAA's on the windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 10-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Rock God

Wow that's weird! Looks like your rubicon text is in the wrong place also it's usually at the rear of the hood not centered front to rear on models with that 2 tone text.

Are those the mopar high line fenders? You are running them with stock rubi tires?
post #3 of 60 Old 10-01-2016, 05:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It could be. Don't they send the test vehicles and prototypes to be crushed when they're finished with them? Maybe the recycler pulled the hood thinking they could make a couple unnoticed bucks.

Call and ask what it came off.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 10-01-2016, 06:01 PM
JKowners Vendor

I didn't think the JL was going to have a fold down windshield. Why would the JL hood have a footman loop and windshield bumpers?

Im not sure what that thing is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #5 of 60 Old 10-01-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Wow that's weird! Looks like your rubicon text is in the wrong place also it's usually at the rear of the hood not centered front to rear on models with that 2 tone text.

Are those the mopar high line fenders? You are running them with stock rubi tires?

Those are the mopar highline flares with 35in BFG mud-terrain on 1 off Alcoa Forged 5 spoke wheels

08 Red Rock Rubicon Unlimited, 5.7 Hemi, 4.88's, 3.5 in Nth Deg short arm, 35in KM2's, AEV Pintler Beadlocks, Teraflex diff covers, Ruff Stuff Custom tie rod, AEV corner guards painted to match, painted flares, painted hardtop, leather seats, AEV front bumper painted to match, Warn 9000 XDi, Mopar Rear w/swingaway painted to match, HID's, TMD cowl Induction hood, Nemisis Billy Rockers, Warn Dual modes up front, PIAA's on the windshield
post #6 of 60 Old 10-01-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
It could be. Don't they send the test vehicles and prototypes to be crushed when they're finished with them? Maybe the recycler pulled the hood thinking they could make a couple unnoticed bucks.

Call and ask what it came off.

I purchased this hood from a recycler in Detroit and it was shipped to me. No vin tag or mopar part stamped in the sheet metal like normal

Also this hood is steel where as the new JL is supposed to be aluminum that's why I think it's a pre production hood

post #7 of 60 Old 10-01-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
I didn't think the JL was going to have a fold down windshield. Why would the JL hood have a footman loop and windshield bumpers?

Im not sure what that thing is.

I wouldn't imagine they would still have the loop and bumpers on there for "looks"

post #8 of 60 Old 10-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrockHemi View Post
I wouldn't imagine they would still have the loop and bumpers on there for "looks"

I do, it's part of the "look".
post #9 of 60 Old 10-02-2016, 02:33 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Get onto old mate that sold you that hood and see if you can get a pair of guards off the same vehicle. At least your Jeep will be unique, in more ways than one....
post #10 of 60 Old 10-02-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

post #11 of 60 Old 10-02-2016, 05:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks taller too.

If that is off the new Jeep, why the hell do they do that shit? All the money going into new tooling and whatever else is involved, for what, an inch. Add new fenders to match too. I just don't get it.

Maybe a new engine option is an inch longer?

Kevin
post #12 of 60 Old 10-02-2016, 05:16 PM
JKowners Vendor

If that is a JL hood I like it. A longer hood means more room for the engine and maybe a turbo from the factory.

At least it will leave us more real estate when we start putting LS V8s in them.
skulldaddy likes this.

post #13 of 60 Old 10-02-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks taller too.

If that is off the new Jeep, why the hell do they do that shit? All the money going into new tooling and whatever else is involved, for what, an inch. Add new fenders to match too. I just don't get it.

Maybe a new engine option is an inch longer?

The new 8spd is significantly longer and I'm sure they need extra room for diesel stuff

post #14 of 60 Old 10-02-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
If that is a JL hood I like it. A longer hood means more room for the engine and maybe a turbo from the factory.

At least it will leave us more real estate when we start putting LS V8s in them.

2 of the new engine options (4cyl hurricane, 4cyl diesel) include a turbo so yes your correct

post #15 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 05:55 AM
Rock God

It's kinda discouraging after 10 years the new jl is so similar to the jk why even bother with a new one. Who ever heard of a vehicle where you could (almost) swap sheet metal between generations, it's like they just started with the jk blueprints and tweaked a little from there.
post #16 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 06:13 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
It's kinda discouraging after 10 years the new jl is so similar to the jk why even bother with a new one. Who ever heard of a vehicle where you could (almost) swap sheet metal between generations, it's like they just started with the jk blueprints and tweaked a little from there.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think FCA knew they better not screw up the wrangler, it's their cash cow.

post #17 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 06:18 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
You mean like the every Ford Superduty from 99 until now? People swap beds, tailgates, front clips, interiors, etc all the time.
post #18 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here's something to chew on......

post #19 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:

In reality just more room for epa stuff. Lol
skulldaddy likes this.
post #20 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Take a look at the piece added to the front of the cowl piece in these photos

post #21 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Granite Guru

Man, that is weird! What are the odds.....

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

|
|

2013 JK

post #22 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wonder if they moved the firewall foreword? That could be for stricter crash test protocols.

Kevin
post #23 of 60 Old 10-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Rock God

That extra length wheelbase will be embraced by the 2 door guys, it's like a free stretch, lol

For the unlimiteds the crappy break over just got even worse. Will need more lift or bigger tires than a JKU to get up the same ledges.

I wonder how much longer it is? The test mule pictured above looks like they lengthened the cowl and used a jk hood, but maybe for production they reused the jk cowl piece and just made the JL hood longer? Then whatever the added length of your mystery hood is (2"?) would be the wheelbase stretch of the JL.

Last edited by Biginboca; 10-03-2016 at 04:37 PM.
post #24 of 60 Old 10-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Granite Guru

It could be a late test mule hood. The photos above are of testing the new drivetrain with the current (or at least most of) body. Seem like the hood he got could easily be from the next test phase.
post #25 of 60 Old 10-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
That's right. They should have based the new JL off the Cherokee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode