Bumpers and winch added - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Bumpers and winch added

Well finally got to install the Rugged Ridge bumpers and the Smittybilt XRC10 winch this past weekend, all in all not to bad of a job. It seemed like the install was getting easier with every . I was wondering does anyone else have this winch and how did you run your wiring? I tried to hide and tuck the wiring as much as I could but with the way the controller sits I couldn't figure any other way. If you guys have em I'd like to see some of the ways you ran your wiring......anyway here's a few pics of the bumpers and winch

JJ
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
More pics

And the last pics

JJ
Attached Images

post #3 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 AM
JKO Addict!

looks very good!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

very very nice

|
|
post #5 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

I have the same winch, and I opted for to mount the solenoid on top of the motor (left of center), to reduce the length of wire exposed. I don't think that it makes a difference, but that is how I opted.

Well done on your install!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #6 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the compliments...I think I am going to try and redo some of the zip ties, some of them I think I have pulled to tight and is squeezing the loom. I don't know maybe I'm just picky but you would think the winch companies would have a better way for wiring up these winches, so you could have a cleaner install with the wiring, oh well.

As far as the winch goes it seems to work good on test pulls, just haven't used it in a real world situation pulling the Jeep out when it's really stuck.

JJ
post #7 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks good. I have the same RR bumper and winch XRC10

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice Jeep man

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #9 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice job on the install... I had the same bumpers on my 07.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to M. Hoyt

Looks good, I've been thinking of going with the same bumpers, let me know how you like them.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Rock God

Looks very good, nice install!

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #12 of 26 Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

Very nicely done. I have the same bumper without the end extensions and the Rugged Ridge version of this winch. I did like cruz said and mounted the solenoid over the motor, not so much for the shortened wiring, but I thought it might block less air to the radiator. I didn't loom my wires yet because I only had 1/2" and 3/4" split loom (not big enough).

Instead of zip-tying, I usually twist the loom so the wires can't come out the middle, then tape the ends with good quality electrical tape. That's what I'll do with my winch once I pick-up the right size split-loom.

Question: Did you install a disconnect at the battery? I haven't, but only because I haven't found one rated high enough to handle the winch. But I almost set a previous vehicle on-fire when the positive lead shorted to ground after a minor front-end accident. Destroyed the winch and battery.

If anyone can recommend a good battery disconnect for winches it would be useful info.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #13 of 26 Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Bump good info on twisting the looms never thought about that and no I didn't install a disconnect. For your info I picked up the wiring loom at a stereo shop and on the roll it was listed as a 3/4" loom.
Also I kinda wished I would have went with the rugged ridge winch...they look almost the same but the RR winch is rated at 10,500, a little higher h.p. and list some of their hardware as stainless steel. All in all I think the XRC10 is still a good choice.

JJ

Last edited by jjbooth; 07-28-2010 at 05:59 PM.
post #14 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Wheeler

Thanks for posting these pics. I have been seriously considering this exact setup with the only excpetion being that I may go with the synthetic line. I have also bee wrestling with which pull line to get, the 8K or 10K...do we really need a 10K?

For the most part I have narrowed my bumper choices down to this setup or, possibly, the LOD mid width bumper. I have LOD sliders that are awesome and I like the look of the LOD bumper but it does not give full coverage and is permanent whereas I can get full coverage with the XHD or take the end caps off if I want to run a stubby.

Questions..how easy would it be to take the end caps off if you were going on a run and wanted to have stubby form? Also, is there a matching skid plate that you can get for the XHD bumper that gives decent front end coverage and/or possibly electric sway bar disconnect motor protection for us Rubi owners?

finally, how HARD was the bumper installation? Looks like it bolts right on using stock locations....is that true?
post #15 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
RR bumpers

Both front and rear bumpers were a breeze to put on, just make sure you put the winch in the bumper first before you intall the front bumper to the vehicle. One weird thing about the rear bumper was that it comes with two brackets (left & right) for installing the rear bumper to the frame. Opening up the box they had the brackets already attached to the bumper. You'll need to take them off the bumper and bolt them to the frame, then bolt the bumper to the brackets.

With the brackets already bolted to the bumper you can't angle the brackets enough to put the bumper on the frame rails.

As far as taking the end caps on and off, two of the three nuts are easy to get on, the third nut up top takes a little more time and you need to use a wrench, still you can take them on or off in about 10 minutes (each side).

There is a skid plate listed for the bumper, but I don't know what kind of coverage it gives. Also for the money go with the 10,000 lb winch.
Hope this helps.

JJ
post #16 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Rock God

Can you not run the wiring through the grill slot directly behind the winch rather than across to the side where it is visible?
post #17 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

You can run the wiring through the grille slot but due to where the wiring attaches to the motor and the control head it will still show. Now I am speaking for the XRC 10 winch only for that is what I am running.

If you look at some of the web sites one of the winches that looks good mounted with the wiring tucked away is some of the Warn winches, I think it was the 9.5ti series.

JJ
post #18 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice looking setup!
post #19 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Wheeler

I just placed my order for basically the same setup for the front bumper. I added the black hoop bar and went with the synthetic 10K Smittybilt (got a great deal on it). Now I just have to wait for delivery and hope I can find a free weekend to put it all together!!

pretty sure this will complete my mods for the time being on my Jeep. Next up will be gears but that will have to wait...

2010 Black Unlimited Rubicon w/NAV
Superior 5.13 gears
2.5" Teraflex coil lift
Bilstein 5100 shocks
JKS front and rear adjustable track bars
LOD Signature series rock sliders
35" Maxxis Bighorn Tires on 16" blackrocks
Terafkex C Gussets and inner sleeves
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper
Smittybilt XRC10 Comp winch
Rock Hard Evap Skid
Superchips Flashpaq
Smittybilt seat covers (sitting in garage)
Mastercraft Grab Handles
post #20 of 26 Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Powdercoat addition

Finally got back the Bumper D-rings from the powdercaoter and put them on tonight. I realize that this is not very practical application of what to powdercoat, but it sure looks good for now.

On a side note, I can't take the credit for this mod as I saw it on another JK in one of the other threads here in JKO.

Anyway here's a few pics of mine........

JJ
Attached Images

post #21 of 26 Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkelley20 View Post
Thanks for posting these pics. I have been seriously considering this exact setup with the only excpetion being that I may go with the synthetic line. I have also bee wrestling with which pull line to get, the 8K or 10K...do we really need a 10K?
Theoretically, 8,500 is enough to lift the entire JK straight-up off the ground. Of course, when you're stuck in sucking mud, you'll need more force to pull you out than lift up. But I'm mostly concerned with getting stuck on rocks or logs, or in sand. IMHO, 8,500 is enough for those scenarios, and the one time I've used it in the sand so far, it pulled-out a Santa Fe without even straining.

Here's a link to an eBay'r selling 5/16" x 92' synthetic winch line for $99. If the auction is ended just search eBay for 5/16 Synthetic Rope. It's recommended for up to 10,000 Lb winches, 11,800 Lb minimum strength. If you do some research you'll see a lot of people are using it with no issues. Just remember you need to change your fairlead rollers to use polyurethane (Daystar) or use an aluminum hawse fairlead.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #22 of 26 Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
You can run the wiring through the grille slot but due to where the wiring attaches to the motor and the control head it will still show. Now I am speaking for the XRC 10 winch only for that is what I am running.

If you look at some of the web sites one of the winches that looks good mounted with the wiring tucked away is some of the Warn winches, I think it was the 9.5ti series.

JJ
I ran my wiring out the back of the bumper, and up the left edge of the chassis. It's pretty much invisible. Can't take pix now cause it's dark, and tomorrow I'm heading off for a long weekend of wheeling and camping. I'll try to remember when I get back.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #23 of 26 Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
There is a skid plate listed for the bumper, but I don't know what kind of coverage it gives. Also for the money go with the 10,000 lb winch.
I have the skid, it fully protects the Rubicon electronic swaybar disconnect, which was one of my concerns, and I think it helps restore the stock airflow, which should help prevent hood flutter. It also protects the trackbar pretty well, but does almost nothing for the tie rod.

Again, I'll try to remember to post some pix when I get back from my long weekend outing.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #24 of 26 Old 08-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
<snip>

Question: Did you install a disconnect at the battery? I haven't, but only because I haven't found one rated high enough to handle the winch. But I almost set a previous vehicle on-fire when the positive lead shorted to ground after a minor front-end accident. Destroyed the winch and battery.

If anyone can recommend a good battery disconnect for winches it would be useful info.
I was in West Marine the other day and I saw this disconnect that might be what you are looking for. $87.99 sounds like cheap insurance to eliminate the "OH SH!T. The winch is shorted!"

BLUE SEA SYSTEMS
Heavy-Duty Series Battery Switches
On/Off, 2 Positions, 600 Continuous Amps, 2000 Inrush Amps, 1200 Cranking Amps
Model #6956114

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10597

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
post #25 of 26 Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

You mentioned make sure to install the winch first... Is it possible to reach the bolts from the bottom once the bumper is installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode